Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think they filmed two shows back to back and the band dressed the same. I loved the move to the city version from Tokyo that's the live era version.

That version is miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And the estranged from live era is from the Tokyo 1992 shows.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That version is miles better.

It's groovy as ****. Love it.

I love Live Era, first Guns album I picked up, just a shame the vocals are re-recorded on some songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I love Live Era, first Guns album I picked up, just a shame the vocals are re-recorded on some songs.

Are they? Didn't know that. Which ones?

• Advertisement

Some of it was re done lithium. Not all.

There's a list online somewhere where someone went through the live era stuff and compared it to bootlegs of shows they were meant to be.

Also I looked my GNR iTunes catalogue. It says I've 23 albums of GNR music. That includes live bootlegs of a loud of shows from 1988. Apparently I've the 2012 Dublin show on bootleg.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/26028-live-era-song-source-info/

Just follow this, and there's a link there to the discussion thread on mygnr, can't access it myself for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I haven't bothered my fat ass to follow that link...someone tell me what's going on here? re-recorded??? The only (pre)recorded gigs I know of is the songs off of Lies...I mean to say..that the first 4 songs have the crowd noise played over the band while they're in the studio..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What's happening? Are they not touring now agen for ages?

fin12 wrote: »

They've down time, Axl focuses on AC/DC, Slash goes back to his solo band to do album #3, then reconvene again a few weeks before the Not In This Lifetime tour kicks off June 23rd

RayK0309 wrote: »
    I haven't bothered my fat ass to follow that link...someone tell me what's going on here? re-recorded??? The only (pre)recorded gigs I know of is the songs off of Lies...I mean to say..that the first 4 songs have the crowd noise played over the band while they're in the studio..

Re-recorded, some IF not all of Live Era '87-'93 was re-recorded by Axl..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They've down time, Axl focuses on AC/DC, Slash goes back to his solo band to do album #3, then reconvene again a few weeks before the Not In This Lifetime tour kicks off June 23rd

Which is good. Because Slash & The Conspirators rule, and for my money, the less time GNR spend together, the better. :D

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Which is good. Because Slash & The Conspirators rule, and for my money, the less time GNR spend together, the better. :D

I don't know, could see this reunion run maybe lasting a couple of years, with hopefully a new Guns album somewhere down the road.

Of course more new Slash, Myles & The Conspirators albums will always be a good thing.

fin12 wrote: »

I like the way it's going.. I would've liked a bit more hype but at least the next time they come round it'll have a bit more authenticity to it..still not seeing any sense to the (re-recorded thang)...

Re-recorded, some IF not all of Live Era '87-'93 was re-recorded by Axl..

I'm a few beers deep at this stage so bare with me...re-recorded as in remastered?In some kindof ''I'll just sing this bit here and there...I have the 'Era' (fed directly to my mainframe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Shooting the breeze here maybe generate a discussion / row whatever but personally I lost all interest in GnR after Slash left and followed his career path gigs albums ect never paid any attention to the Chinese era GnR went to the2006 gig in the rds and left feeling I'd just seen a really good covers band so never listened to the Chinese songs at all still haven't really apart from the ones played by Slash recently. Where I'll be over the moon when Izzy and Steven make a guest appearance. I wonder would there be the same level of excitement for the fans that followed GnR through the Chinese era if say Buckethead, Ron or Robin made a guest appearance during the up and coming American tour.
    Anythings possible now with Angus appearing at Coachella.

I'm a few beers deep at this stage so bare with me...re-recorded as in remastered?In some kindof ''I'll just sing this bit here and there...I have the 'Era' (fed directly to my mainframe)

No, Axl wiped some of the vocal tracks from what was recorded for the album, then re-did his vocals, sometime in '99, you'd have to have a sharp ear to know what was re-recorded vocals wise..

Shooting the breeze here maybe generate a discussion / row whatever but personally I lost all interest in GnR after Slash left and followed his career path gigs albums ect never paid any attention to the Chinese era GnR went to the2006 gig in the rds and left feeling I'd just seen a really good covers band so never listened to the Chinese songs at all still haven't really apart from the ones played by Slash recently. Where I'll be over the moon when Izzy and Steven make a guest appearance. I wonder would there be the same level of excitement for the fans that followed GnR through the Chinese era if say Buckethead, Ron or Robin made a guest appearance during the up and coming American tour.
    Anythings possible now with Angus appearing at Coachella.

I think everyone really lost interest in the band when they imploded in the mid 90's, didn't help either that after the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame in '94, Axl went to ground, staying out of the public eye until being arrested at an Arizona airport in '98, he really did live up to the "Howard Hughes of Rock N' Roll" tag.

I've said it before, but had Axl not ****ed around, the band he assembled to help make Chinese Democracy and everything supposedly recorded during the lost years, that version of Guns could've been as good as what came before them..

Would be cool if Axl brought out Robin & Ron, but then again having 4 guitarists on stage :pac:, actually I'd like to see Robin & Slash trade off each other (Robin was initially brought in to compliment Slash's playing)..

Like you said, anything's possible, so let's wait and see..

• Advertisement

No, Axl wiped some of the vocal tracks from what was recorded for the album, then re-did his vocals, sometime in '99, you'd have to have a sharp ear to know what was re-recorded vocals wise..

Maybe it was in response to it being released. I don't know. I knew that he went over Appetite around that time. To be fair he did a good job if that's the case. As someone said here before, he sounded like he gargled bleach back in the early 90's. Seems to me he's a lil bit off a happy medium these days which hopefully a bit of sustained singing will rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Haven't been on here for a few days and I just happened to have been listening to the Live Era albums with the intention of posting something about the re-recorded vocals! Even when the album came out you could tell some extra work had been done.

I think My Michelle is the most obvious one. Mr Brownstone is another contender. I had an old bootleg of that Wembley 91 gig and I clearly remember Axl's vocals being markedly different. It was an improvement anyway as his voice was shot by the time that gig came around. As a document of GNR's live prowess I think we were cheated out of what should have been a great album.

Interesting also to read people's views of the Tokyo Dome gigs. Personally I think they were a pile of garbage. a well worn subject but that big band production just wasn't the GNR that many people had come to know and love and never more was it seen in all its glory here. And Axl's voice sounds utterly shocking, he sounds like a cat being strangled. Still didn't stop me from freaking out like mad when they came on stage at Slane!

''A cat being strangled''..class...but if we put aside age and whatever else..is it just a matter of singing regularly? Damn it ..Imma have to listen to 'Live Era'..it's been a while..I don't know why people are freaking out about the ACDC thang..it's a good fit but only if Axl can summon that raspiness. It's only something like 9 gigs.. I have zero concerns about anything else

There was footage online of Axl rehearsing with AC/DC, from what I heard of the brief Thunderstruck, it sounded brilliant.. People are freaking out over Axl taking Brian's place (I'm sure Axl himself felt sad that it had come to that, but c'est la vie), because Axl's a "unpredictable ego maniacal" arse who doesn't come onstage on time.. Sure he was unpredictable during Guns heyday, but if the recent Vegas, Coachella, & Mexican gigs are anything to go by, it seems he has finally mellowed out and just enjoying what he does.

To end, AC/DC bringing Axl on to replace Brian, can't please everybody, I mean would they really have thrown all that pressure on an unknown singer, I bloody doubt it.

Part of me thinks that the coming on late thing back in the day was in response to every one around him gettin smashed. I never bought the 'stage fright' story amongst others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The reason the others would get smashed was because he was late in the first place! They'd be sitting around waiting for him to turn up, there was little else to do apart from hit the bottle and the coke or whatever.

The man was going through some extremely heavy regressional therapy at the time, it was bound to cause issues. Imagine he's just discovered that he had been raped by his father when he was a child (as Axl claimed) and then some promoter/agent/manager gets on the line to remind him to be on stage at 9pm. He was never going to give a fcuk about what time he was meant to be on stage at. An extensive nationwide arena tour was hardly the best time for him to start undergoing treatment of that kind but that was Axl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

There was footage online of Axl rehearsing with AC/DC, from what I heard of the brief Thunderstruck, it sounded brilliant.. People are freaking out over Axl taking Brian's place (I'm sure Axl himself felt sad that it had come to that, but c'est la vie), because Axl's a "unpredictable ego maniacal" arse who doesn't come onstage on time.. Sure he was unpredictable during Guns heyday, but if the recent Vegas, Coachella, & Mexican gigs are anything to go by, it seems he has finally mellowed out and just enjoying what he does.

To end, AC/DC bringing Axl on to replace Brian, can't please everybody, I mean would they really have thrown all that pressure on an unknown singer, I bloody doubt it.

Is this the footage your on about?

http://youtu.be/5jMwKqbLr9Y

:-P
    I heard the other one but found that as well and laughed.
    Anything is possible.

The reason the others would get smashed was because he was late in the first place! They'd be sitting around waiting for him to turn up, there was little else to do apart from hit the bottle and the coke or whatever.

The man was going through some extremely heavy regressional therapy at the time, it was bound to cause issues. Imagine he's just discovered that he had been raped by his father when he was a child (as Axl claimed) and then some promoter/agent/manager gets on the line to remind him to be on stage at 9pm. He was never going to give a fcuk about what time he was meant to be on stage at. An extensive nationwide arena tour was hardly the best time for him to start undergoing treatment of that kind but that was Axl.
    Yes I know that but Axl was also tee-total throughout all of the fame.

Yes I know that but Axl was also tee-total throughout all of the fame.

I don't think he was tee total at all. I seen him quoted as never having let himself get addicted to anything he took.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't think he was tee total at all. I seen him quoted as never having let himself get addicted to anything he took.

He dabbled and that's all he ever did, well according to Mick Wall's unauthorized biography..

Advertisement