Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was I the only person to play paradise city during the mighty weather this week. I did both studio and live. I did it because cork city is the real life paradise city being honest.

We get it you like gnr everytime I look at this thread you pop up with these lipstick posts ,I saw them at Slane ,Dublin ,London ,Paris and New York among others, I used be in nancy spains with my appetite tshirt .What abt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Bruce springsteen is playing at Wembley Stadium 2morrow too. maybe he might be a guest there ????

remember Slash is not real and played the Gigadome in Moscow and South park mall the same day lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I haven't really watched much of any of the fan footage..but..eh..are we all happy with the voice thus far? I thought it sounded a bit dodge during the last post. I think from Sunday last. I didn't really watch a whole lot. Still waiting on some pro shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

RayK0309 wrote: »
    I haven't really watched much of any of the fan footage..but..eh..are we all happy with the voice thus far? I thought it sounded a bit dodge during the last post. I think from Sunday last. I didn't really watch a whole lot. Still waiting on some pro shots.

Any reviews I've read have been all positive any amateur vids I've seen have sounded spot on , the Bern show was a bit patchy at the start but that could of been a technical issue + phone footage
    Even on a few AC/DC forums hard core fans who would of been against Axl replacing Brian are prob still against Axl been in AC/DC but can't fault the performance.
    Although it's takes a certain type of singing style to suit AC/DC it's perfectly within Axls range, all their songs are generally within the same key range anyway.
    It'll be interesting to see how his voice is after the 22 date "not in this life time "GnR tour for the remaining 10 AC/DC dates nearly straight after as GnR songs would be a lot more complex / challenging to sing. I'm not saying better or worse songs just saying they're not as straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

[/yt]bL5ylu6guA[yt]

Magical moment from the three lads after 23 years. These interactions make me think it's a genuine reunion.

Can't see what you linked :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A link to what I tried to post earlier lithium.

The spaghetti incident album is actually a class album.

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet but himself did an interview in London https://youtu.be/t3fckJMnMjA

• Advertisement

Cheers
    I'll get the jist of this u tube internet gizmo thingy m'bob yet😜

Watched the Axl press conference, and what I found most interesting is this little nugget of information.
    We [Guns N’ Roses] are working on new stuff. I’ve got a lot of stuff together, and I played some stuff for Slash and Duff and they liked it.

Quick recap of the conference in case anyone doesn't want to watch the video
    Axl has always been keen to work on a film soundtrack and may do so in the future, saying ‘I was more interested in that than staying in Guns N’ Roses’.

Axl does regular vocal exercises and has resumed work with a vocal coach he had stopped working with 20 years prior, since the Back In Black material is particularly demanding.

Axl has a varied music taste and particularly enjoys Frank Sinatra, but doesn’t see too much branching into genres such as jazz.

Axl apparently made a concious effort to make his voice ‘clearer’ for the Chinese Democracy album which he feels people did not respond to.

Axl is working on new music which has been received positively by Duff McKagan and Slash.

There no plans for a solo album.

Axl may release his own book.

Axl believes that Slash fabricated some details in his book and told him so over the phone when they patched things up in 2015.

Axl feels that he and Angus Young have good chemistry and is open to working on new music with him.

Slash’s new work ethic impressed Axl, as he and Duff learned the Chinese Democracy material without being prompted.

There are definite plans for a Guns N’ Roses tour in the UK

The current Guns N’ Roses arrangement is one that Axl hopes to keep ‘going for quite a while’

In retrospect, Axl believes he should have self-released more music rather than use a large record label.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Been listening to Chinese Democracy a lot lately and there are some fucking great songs on it. Some misses too but for the most part it's a really good album. Just a shame it took so long to come out. Had it only taken two or three years instead of almost 15, I don't think it would be written off anywhere near as much.

Crazy to think it's almost 8 years old already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Been listening to Chinese Democracy a lot lately and there are some fucking great songs on it. Some misses too but for the most part it's a really good album. Just a shame it took so long to come out. Had it only taken two or three years instead of almost 15, I don't think it would be written off anywhere near as much.

Crazy to think it's almost 8 years old already.

Yep the album lived in my car stereo for a long ass time. At least 5 songs that I absolutely adore in Better, Street of Dreams, There was a Time, Madagascar and This I love.

Also the last physical album I ever bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has Axl a book out, like a biography?

fin12 wrote: »
    Has Axl a book out, like a biography?

Mick Wall wrote an unauthorized biography on Axl, released in 2008, which is an excellent read..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

I'd love to read an Axl biography. I read Slash's one a few times, must read it again it's brilliant. I wonder what was allegedly fabricated.

I'd love to read an Axl biography. I read Slash's one a few times, must read it again it's brilliant. I wonder what was allegedly fabricated.

The whole '92 signing over the name fiasco, apparently Axl being an evil prick and screwing Slash & Duff over.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Did Slash admit that it was false? Obviously without having any involvement, I'd be more inclined to believe Slash. I'm biased though cos he's so pretty. :)

• Advertisement

Did Slash admit that it was false? Obviously without having any involvement, I'd be more inclined to believe Slash. I'm biased though cos he's so pretty. :)

I don't think he did, but given how Slash & Duff were in '92, with the booze, was a smart move on Axl's part..

But let's not dig up the past, and just enjoy the fact that Axl, Slash, & Duff are back on the same stage together afte 23 years :D

But for those who do want to read it, RE: Name rights, here's Axl's take from when he popped up on MYGNRFORUM.COM in December '08, question and his lengthy answer.

Question:
    We learnt in the press, that you asked the former members to sign a paper giving up the rights to the GUNS N' ROSES name and threatening not to go on stage unless they co-operated. Bull****?
    Axl:
    So let's start here… the whole 'Axl wouldn't go on stage' yada yada… is complete and utter crap. Never happened, all made up, fallacy and fantasy. Not one single solitary thread of truth to it. Had that been the case, I would've have been cremated years ago legally, could've cleaned me out for the name and damages. It's called under duress with extenuating circumstances. In fact, the time that was mentioned, the attorneys were all in Europe with us dealing with Adler [original GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler] depositions.

Couldn't talk sooner as it could have jeopardized whatever nonsense was going on.

When GUNS renegotiated our contract with Geffen, I had the bit about the name added in as protection for myself as I had come up with the name and then originally started the band with it. It had more to do with management than the band, as our then-manager was always tryin' to convince someone they should fire me. As I had stopped speaking with him, he sensed his days were numbered and was bending any ear he could along with attempting to sell our renegotiation out for a personal payday from Geffen.

It was added to the contract and everyone signed off on it. It wasn't hidden in fine print, etc., as you had to initial the section verifying you had acknowledged it.

Now, at that time I didn't know or think about brand names or corporate value etc. All I knew is that I came in with the name and from day one everyone had agreed to it being mine should we break up and now it was in writing.

I still didn't grasp any other issues until long after I'd left and formed a new partnership which was only an effort to salvage GUNS, not steal it.

In my opinion, the reality of the shift and the public embarrassment and ridicule by others (which included a lot of not-so-on-the-level business types he was associating with at the time) for not contesting the rights to the brand name, were more than Slash [former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] could openly face. Also, we aren't lawyers or formally business educated, so it was just a matter of all of us being naïve and doing what we thought was right at the time. Slash was, in my opinion, being on the up and up in agreeing I had the rights, and I wasn't trying to be some snake in the grass pulling a fast one. The others could've cared less.

But when the reality of the breakup hit and the strategy to have me crawl back was put into play, Slash had to save face and get business team and public support. Painting me as the one who held a crowd hostage forcing the others to sign over the name worked out pretty well in that regard. I'm the bad guy, and Duff [McKagan, ex-GUNS bassist], the fans and most importantly himself were the victims. Oh, and they had actually made the sacrifice for the crowd, the people, the fans at the show. But again… IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Media and others ignorantly, wrongly and falsely harped on about it at mine and the fans' expense for years, and Slash has hoped to use all that to continually sue and have some sort of legal nonsense going on behind the scenes in an effort to reverse things. He wouldn't have been able to get the support and action on the part of his various team members over the years to do so if the truth were out there especially when the statute of limitations had run out years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

When I read Slash's book, think he's an asshole after reading it. Just trashing stuff for the sake of it. Does duff have a book?

fin12 wrote: »
    When I read Slash's book, think he's an asshole after reading it. Just trashing stuff for the sake of it. Does duff have a book?

Yeah he does..

13388544_650620085086781_1788640368_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3MDM3MTk3NDYxNzc3NDUxMg%3D%3D.2.l

Good picture.

13388544_650620085086781_1788640368_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3MDM3MTk3NDYxNzc3NDUxMg%3D%3D.2.l

Good picture.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall while that conversation was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Oh to have been a fly on the wall while that conversation was happening.

"Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Roanmore wrote: »
    "Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do"

Ha, brilliant.

Roanmore wrote: »

There's no need to beat a dead horse. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Good picture.

It's weird seeing Axl & Slash in the same room, and smiling at each other after all the s€&t that supposedly went on.....!?

Advertisement