Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tough Guy 2012

• 22-09-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So who is planning on taking this on in January ?

Did it in '09 so looking to return.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Explain what is this, toughman?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

www.toughguy.co.uk

2011 was my last year doing this. The new gladiatough coliseum and the underground pit are horrible. Good luck to anyone taking on the challenge, its fecking brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Oryx wrote: »
    The new gladiatough coliseum and the underground pit are horrible.

Uh oh. What are these ?

If you remember the underground pipes, called Vietcong tunnels? They have a pit you have to crawl thru before them thats full of shocking surprises. :) And where they used to just have planks crossing a small lake (after the dragon pool and before the barbed wire crawl) they now have a figure of eight shaped water torture. Hard to describe but long and exhausting at that point. But the slalom is shorter. If that helps. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Oh that thing! Man I would love to do that but I would actually crap myself thinking about having to crawl through tunnels or something. Lots of copycat ones since isn't there?

• Advertisement

The tunnels aren't so bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

that looks like a mental course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm currently trying to get volunteers for a team for this. I enquired about it here on Boards two years ago and wussed out.
    With any luck it'll come together this time, and I'll be in agony Jan 29th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i'm planning on doing it if I'm allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

howr ye just saw this tough man thing there. what type fitness training would you need and any training mentally you can do? thinking of doing this when i get my LC out of the way

• Advertisement

Good cardio and reasonable upper body strength will get you round. The stronger you are the faster you'll get around so you'll suffer cold less. Mentally it depends what your fears are. Water, confined spaces, heights. Or just cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

ah alright. itl be 2013 when il be doing it anyway so plenty of time for that. triathalons and all that would help would they? only fear of the whole thing looking from here is the electric shocks. sounds bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Did it back in 2009, never again :D. I remember it snowing the morning we did it and the surface of the lake had frozen over. By the end of it I had stage two hypothermia.

It was pretty good fun though :p

Would definitely recommend some cold water training in advance though.

I did it that year too. They closed a section it was so bad. Funnily enough I ended up with hypothermia too and had strangers dress me in dry clothes. :) I don't know if cold water training helps. Being able to move fast through the course definitely does though. I fared better in subsequent years with better fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I did it then also. Was unreal cold. Like.... just so cold. Was great fun...kinda :D

Getting dressed afterwards was very tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

brianon wrote: »
    Getting dressed afterwards was very tough!

lol yeah I remember getting a cup of hot chocolate at the finish but my hands were shaking so badly it ended up all down my front :D

For about 4 hours afterwards I could'nt stop shivering, ppl were looking at me in the street wondering what I'd been taking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 templeville

Hello,
    Has a team been put together for this? My buddies have deserted me and I don't fancy doing this by myself.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 42 templeville

I finished tough guy in 2012 & 2013, I won't be doing the 2014 as I will be in NZ, I get excited by the thoughts of it even now, will deffo do it the year after, i can't recommend it enough. If anyone is thinking of doing it in Jan 2014 then they need to do the turfguy challenge in November in Leenane, Galway, great preparation. Turfguy is a great event, tough but so much fun, hell & back always say that theirs is the toughtest challenge in ireland, I wholeheartedly disagree, I have done truf guy for the last 2 years and done H&B and there is no comparisson.

So if any of ye out there are thinking of oing either just go for it, so much fun.

Advertisement