Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What grants am i entitled to?

• 22-09-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Ok as im new to the farming game :D, what grants entitlements can i claim for or indeed am i wasting my time.

System; buying suck calves in and bring to finish (Currently 11 Heifers (18 Months) and 17 calves(6 months)

Land ; 12 Acres i own (with sheds etc) and renting 25 acres. All on Westmeath/Meath border .

Employment ; We both work full time off farm

The land had no entitlements. Im not part of reps or aseos.

Plan to finish 20 /22 heifers each year.

Am i entitled to anything? Be great to get something so i can reinvest on handling factilies and a new calf shed ( I know about VAT 58b and capital allowances etc)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

To call it as I see it
    Very little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi lakill, there is/was a Fetac 180 hour farming course for a green cert in farming (you have/had to be younger than 35?) and you would qualify for grants. This website also deals with grant applications http://www.j4bgrants.ie.

As epfff said, very little.
    Am i entitled to anything? Be great to get something so i can reinvest on handling factilies and a new calf shed ( I know about VAT 58b and capital allowances etc)

Whats this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Well we are 28 and 26 and herself would have a few hours free to do the green cert.

The vat 58b is to reclai VAT on building infrstructure on the farm. and capital allowances are the wayyou can reclaim the asset against tax over a certain no of years.

So what would anyone advice me to do? Do the green cert and join aesos or what?

Our plan is to buy more land in approx 3 years time and im currently looking at 22 acres now, but its mostly forestry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Well we are 28 and 26 and herself would have a few hours free to do the green cert.

The vat 58b is to reclai VAT on building infrstructure on the farm. and capital allowances are the wayyou can reclaim the asset against tax over a certain no of years.

So what would anyone advice me to do? Do the green cert and join aesos or what?

Our plan is to buy more land in approx 3 years time and im currently looking at 22 acres now, but its mostly forestry.

There are currently no extra grants for having a green cert and being under 35. (In suckling or beef anyway).
    In the past there was an extra 10% payment in the FWMS, but I doubt you'll ever see FWMS grants in this country again - unless we win a couple of billion in the world lotto.

Even at the time of the FWMS, I did my green cert and was under 35, but when i applied for the extra grant they refused me - you had to be a new entrant into farming - I had a herd number for a couple of years by that stage.

If AEOS reopens, then I'd recommend joining it - if there are measures to suit your farm. I wouldn't waste my money on a green cert. Its no advantage to you and I don't think it will be an advantage to you in the future because I think the stamp duty exemption rules with it are being done away with by the end of teh year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

If you have an agricultural qualifcation and are under 35 you could apply to the national reserve and you might get some entitlements.

it's worth a try at least, the forms will be out next spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I'm being a pain in the arse here but i really hate the word entitled. IMO nobody is entitled to anything, the thread title is like something a public servant would write.

You should think along the lines of what grants are you eligible for not what you are entitled to?

Seems small but there is a massive difference. Nothing winds me up more than people with a sense of entitlement when they've done f##k all to entitle them to anything (not saying that you are at all, just a general observation)

Regarding your question i'm not sure there is a whole lot you are eligible for. There might still be some dairy grants for a parlour or bulk tank but not sure if your specific situation makes you more eligible than older farmers. I think the 40,000 gallons quota for new entrants has finished. I don't think your eligible for anything in beef or tillage although something from the national reserve as mentioned above could be available.

I would say that you would need professional advice to get the complete answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Im not a civil servant, and i guess the reason i posted the thread was to ask you the ordinary farmer with the experience.

Over the next few years i do want to build a small sustainable enterprise. I would never farm for grants, i farm for the good days, like selling a few stock, getting the silage wrapped in as its about to pour rain, getting the tb test clear etc. I guess i saw my grandad start his farm and build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Im not a civil servant, and i guess the reason i posted the thread was to ask you the ordinary farmer with the experience.

Over the next few years i do want to build a small sustainable enterprise. I would never farm for grants, i farm for the good days, like selling a few stock, getting the silage wrapped in as its about to pour rain, getting the tb test clear etc. I guess i saw my grandad start his farm and build it.

Best of luck with it LF. you are doing the right thing and starting early enough in life. Too many people thought that forty was time enough to think about it only to discover at forty it is harder to have the drive and harder to get start up money from banks. I started at the same age as yourself and if you have decent off farm income it is not so hard to do it as you can keep the odd heifer that otherwise you would have earmarked for selling, can plough a few pound into infrastructure etc. I love to hear about guys setting up amidst all the economic gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Longback

JohnBoy wrote: »
    If you have an agricultural qualifcation and are under 35 you could apply to the national reserve and you might get some entitlements.

it's worth a try at least, the forms will be out next spring.
    If you happen to be earning €30k or more per year in off farm income,you're automatically disqualified from getting anything from the national reserve. Took me couple of weeks toing and froing from one Dept expert to another to discover that little nugget of very important info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

That knocks that on the head then.Best advice i could give you is to do what your doing and any direct payments will come to you in the next round of cap distribution.just make sure you have your area aid forms completed in may.i love your enthuasiasm and its great to see youth with interest in the land. best of look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP,

I'm not 100% sure on this as with all grant related things the goal posts keep moving, but if there was a possibility of inheriting land/ getting land transferred from a relative it would be an advantage to have green cert.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement