Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS 720 H2C Graphics card upgrade

Options
  • 22-09-2011 3:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am getting my computer ready to play BF3. I am wondering what options do I have with regards to getting a new graphics card? Are there any restrictions because my mobo and psu are BTX?

At the moment I have 2 8800 GTX cards. The rest of the system is grand for the time being (i hope)

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Bump!

I have been looking at getting this card: http://www.dabs.ie/products/evga-geforce-gtx-580-797mhz-1536mb-pci-express-hdmi-sc-7K95.html

I notice that it requires a 6 pin pci-e power cable and an 8 pin pci-e power cable. My psu has 4 six pin connectors which are being used for the two 8800 gtx's.

Is there a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter I can get? Or do some come with the card?

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just one concern from me:

Have you much of a gap from your graphics card to your HDD bays? The GTX580 is a bit longer than the 8800GTXs

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I've a 710 H2C, pretty much the same case and board (BTX) etc. I had the GTXs too, they have an extenstion bolted on to the end to allow them to slot into the fan housing and help support the weight... i reckon it's about 320mm wide, with maybe another 20mm if you modify the fan housing?

There is a good bit of space between the cards and the front fan if i take off the screwed on bit at the end so that should be ok. Will I have any issues with the power cables for it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

ktulu123 wrote: »
    There is a good bit of space between the cards and the front fan if i take off the screwed on bit at the end so that should be ok. Will I have any issues with the power cables for it though?

Is this what you need..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-Express-Power-Adapter-Cable/dp/B001TK3TJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317402144&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have one of those too, here is the interior :

sv_xps720h2c_open.jpg

123695523_7e3eb26177.jpg

I don't think swapping the 2xgtx cards out will be a problem length wise in terms of any other internal components.

I didn't realise you'd need graphics upgrade to run BF3.

I'd be interested to hear what you buy /how much it costs and how much of an improvement it gives.

It plays it pretty well and ive been impressed with how well it actually looks. I'm going to wait until the actual game comes out before buying the new card cause the performance can only get better once its out of beta.

I'd like to play this game at max settings though and the graphics cards are the only thing holding the computer back atm.

Have you tried BF3 on it yet? What is your performance like?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Dell PSU diagram

I think the PSU is the same, someone with more PSU knowledge may be able to tell you which cables you'll need to use so that you don't try drawing too much from the wrong rail (?). probably P3 and P4

Advertisement