Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of Ethernet Broadband solution?

• 22-09-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I've fired off an email to Strencom, but I was just wondering does anybody know the rough costs of getting an ethernet broadband connection and the monthly costs. I'm looking at 100mbs/download and 10mbs/upload. I work from home running a small business selling software online and really need a faster broadband connection to the 3mbs that Eircom offer, no UPC in my estate although it is available 300 meters away.

Strencom mention their ethernet is "exceptionally cost effective".

http://www.strencom.net/index.cfm/page/strencomethernet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you looking to run a server from this connection? Practically no ISP will allow this. A far better solution is to use a dedicated server from one of the many hosting service providers both here in Ireland or anywhere. If you're not running a server, then 3Mbps should be adequate for general e-work.

Strencom are a wholesale provider, so I'd imagine you will be looking at thousands of euro per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm just looking for a faster broadband connection, my servers are hosted in the US. 3Mbps is grand for day to day surfing and emailing but I regularly have to upload 400mb files and this takes over 4 hours on my currently broadband connection, sometimes the connection is broken half way through the upload which means I have to start over again. I'm basically looking for my own version of UPC 100mb broadband.
    jor el wrote: »
    Are you looking to run a server from this connection? Practically no ISP will allow this. A far better solution is to use a dedicated server from one of the many hosting service providers both here in Ireland or anywhere. If you're not running a server, then 3Mbps should be adequate for general e-work.

Strencom are a wholesale provider, so I'd imagine you will be looking at thousands of euro per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

For uploading large files, you'll need something better than the 3M DSL that we have here all right. Upload on that is probably 384kbps at best.

I don't think this is the solution though, as any wholesaler is going to charge a lot for these services.

Are Smart or Magnet available to you? I think they offer 1Mbps upload on their LLU products. Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of options. eircom may have VDSL or SDSL, with a higher upload speed, but again you'd pay a premium for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm in Mullingar and due to my distance to the exchange, the best connection I can get is 3mb. Theres no Smart or Magnet connection available here. I don't mind paying a premium for a faster connection as my business depends on it, what are the costs of eircom VDSL/SDSL? Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most fixed wireless providers offer greater upload than dsl. Many are symmetrical, 3mbit down 3mbit up etc. You'd need line of sight to their transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Eircom also do provide wholesale Ethernet connections too.
    http://www.nextgenerationethernet.com/

Approximate price: €fckin expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Also the Eircom NGA which is coming soon!* FTTC and FTTH promising 50Mb/20Mb and 100Mb/30Mb respectively.

* Your definition of soon may vary from Eircoms.

Advertisement