Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Welfare Legislation

Options
  • 22-09-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello,

Wondering if such legislation exists in Ireland, I'm sure it must, however, where do I find the act/s?

Not as easy as I thought it would be, I am thinking of researching it all for a law essay for college.

Any information would be appreciated greatly! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

MiissTL wrote: »
    Hello,

Wondering if such legislation exists in Ireland, I'm sure it must, however, where do I find the act/s?

Not as easy as I thought it would be, I am thinking of researching it all for a law essay for college.

Any information would be appreciated greatly! :)

Is it specifically legislation relating to welfare, as opposed to control of dogs? There is quite a bit of primary and secondary legislation relating to transport of farm animals, welfare of farm animals, greyhounds, wildlife, fisheries etc. However, the general welfare legislation pertaining to pets is the Protection of Animals Act 1911, a copy of which is available via the ANVIL website... Google the act, you'll find it!
    The 1911 Act was amended in parts by the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1965, which you'll find in full on the online Irish Statute Book, again easily found via Google.
    There are a number of sites which interpret the legislation for the casual reader, but beware the agendas of such organisations, you might only get their spin on the legislation.
    Good luck with your essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

Thank you very much, you are very helpful.

Does the act outline what penalties people will face if they are in breach of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

MiissTL wrote: »
    Thank you very much, you are very helpful.

Does the act outline what penalties people will face if they are in breach of it?

It does indeed. If the penalties are not listed with the individual offence, and some are, there is usually an encompassing penalties section in each act.

Advertisement