Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Quite disappointing. The Krugerrand joke was the only stand out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Renewed up to Season 7 according to TV By The Numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well bang goes my theory about railroading the show into cancellation then! If the show maintains its current trajectory I won't be onboard anyway :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The last two episodes have been all right, the most recent in particular; they at least involved getting out and about, with adventures more akin to those seen in the ISIS days of the show. The dynamic between Archer, Ray & Cyril worked well & Archer's freaking out over the crocodiles was a memorable scene for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The scenes in Colombia were quite entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A glimmer of home after the Colombian jungle episode.

Some tentatively good news for those not-exactly enamoured with the Cocaine plotline - it seems it'll be done and dusted by seasons end & the series will go back to its spy roots in series 6:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/24/archer-exclusive-un-reboot/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone else cop that was Christian Slater in this weeks episode.

Yeah, I twigged as soon as I saw him; though I'm wondering if it actually was Christian Slater within the Archer universe; I mean it looked like Slater, sounded like Slater and the guys name was Agent... Slater. :D

Another strong episode this week, with a fair number of genuine laughs. I'll be honest, the last few episodes have shown a definite upward curve; Pam's positively ruined as a character, but the rest of the cast were on form. If anyone around here baled on the show midway, I'd definitely come back and give the rest a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

The best we can hope is that Pam gets a sin off (oops, "spin off") series like Brak did...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

6183-19402.jpg

i'd watch it

Could call it Pams' puppet play time, used to love her dolphin antics.

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    The best we can hope is that Pam gets a sin off (oops, "spin off") series like Brak did...

Not season 5 Pam thank you very much; I'm not sure how many episodes you could get from her screaming about being on cocaine

*pokes head around door of thread*
    Yeah, this show's back to something resembling form; last couple of episodes & the events in San Marcos have been pretty funny for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Eh, still not loving it. The characters seem to be forgetting to make jokes and are just having awkward conversations. I can't wait till they get back to spying next season.

Well it's over now, and seems like the status-quo has been re-established; that is to say, looks like we'll be back to ISIS-bound shenanigans next series. I guess you could argue Archer Vice allowed characters to grow a little outside of their comfort zones; certainly the relationship between Lana and Archer has developed, and others got to change a little (or in the case of Krieger, possibly get replaced by a clone - it's kinda unclear there), but ultimately I'm not sure what the point of the big sideways-reboot was. It was like they started out with a big plan to switch up the show, then got cold feet and abandoned it halfway through.

The last episode had its moments - "All the gardeners are running away!" - but overall, by the end the show felt less like the indispensable laugh-riot it once was, and more of the comfortable, not-great-but-better-than-most-things-on-TV sort.

Lana took his frozen sperm to make the kid, didn't see that coming and neither did Archer. :D

Thought I would've come across some good ISIS memes by now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anyone else think that series 5 was
    Archers coma fantasy
    ?

I recently rewatched series 4, and they way it ends with
    Archer saving Lana and the long beeping noise, well that is the same beeping noise as is in the start and end of series 5.

Might be pure bollocks and I have not seen anyone throw the theory out there, but its worth a thought.

Spoilered above just in case anyone is silly enough to read the thread without having watch the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has anyone seen the French comedy film series OSS 117? Someone mentioned it to me today and said that it's where Archer takes a lot of its style from.

I looked at a few images of it on Google and was a bit gobsmacked at how similar it looks.

3MgdG3Y.jpg

UtvjemM.jpg

rXR7bE4.gif

6sw8Qkd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Binged watched this over the course of the xmas. Found season 5 dragged alot. Hopefully they are back in the normal format of the first 4 seasons next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yep they're back to the spy format. Though they've dropped the name ISIS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Back tonight in America

Wonder will my above theory work out :)

And of course they had to drop the ISIS name. Be pretty bad taste if they didnt.

I get why they did it and honestly my concern about the show is much more about it improving after last season than them dropping the agency's name. But maybe coloured by recent events, my attitude is that any concession no matter how small to terrorism is bad.

Anywho that's probably way to serious for this forum :D Let's just hope it is back to it's spytacular best. I don't think your theory is right though or we would be still in ISIS. I've read a small amount of preamble for the new season that suggests your theory not to be the case.

The name-change is fine and tbh calling it a concession to terrorism is imbuing the decision with more significance than it's worth: it's just a TV show, and one that's showing a modicum of self-awareness on its part by renaming its fictional spy agency. It's publicity it could probably do without.

As to the upcoming series, well I dunno: I dug around for some trailers or previews of the new run but there's nothing to be found as far as I can see, bar one teaser trailer openly mocking their decision to jettison the series 5 premise. Archer Vice was a massive misstep imo and a hurried return to the Spy setting might suggest a panicked move from writers not quite feeling it anymore. But we shall see, I'm still fairly excited about some new episodes or Archer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Good 1st episode

Biggest laugh for me was right at the end. Steady opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Loved it. Felt like classic archer.

Eat a buffet of dicks, jungle!

Ms Archer telling the baby to shut up and clone Krieger were the best parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I liked it well enough. We didn't get to see much of her, but hopefully Pam is back to being more than just a one dimensional coke joke now.

Jessica Walter sounded different, I was wondering if she might have had a cold or something. Anywhoo, I thought the first episode was decent, no major guffaws but still enough chuckles to make things enjoyable. Seems like the episode existed purely as a framing device for the new parental arrangement in the ISI... whatever-this-group-is-called office.

Best newcomer character of 2015 has to be Milton ;)

And great to have the Pam / Sheryl combination back again; their office prank was genius :D

This weeks was pretty funny in places, Krieger's tap-dancing bear a creature that will haunt my nightmares.

Off-topic, but related, Conan O'Brien guest-starred in a small skit especially made for his chat show. I found it pretty funny; Conan spars pretty well.

"Well you have to Conan, because I'm busy driving ... and also browsing Tinder".

Save the blarney for the colleens, Paddy!

Loved the new episode.

"Get down!"
    "YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!"

The standard of animation has been really high the last few seasons, but this new run has been pretty spectacular in places: that avalanche looked pretty awesome. Funny enough episode too, nothing amazing but lots of good moments. I miss Pam/Cheryl's debauchery :)

• Advertisement

Hasn't he made the Irish Axis comment before?

Best episode of the season imo; simple, funny and a classic 'bottle episode' story. What's more amazing is belatedly learning that none of the Archer voice-actors share the recording booth: they all record their lines separately so it's amazing how good their chemistry is when their pieces are merged up on-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

pixelburp wrote: »
    Best episode of the season imo; simple, funny and a classic 'bottle episode' story. What's more amazing is belatedly learning that none of the Archer voice-actors share the recording booth: they all record their lines separately so it's amazing how good their chemistry is when their pieces are merged up on-screen.

+1 They did a brilliant job, it was the best bottle episode I've seen since Community's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wandered aimlessly into this thread, having never heard of Archer. Was prompted to check out some clips on youtube. Looks freaking hilarious :D

trashcan wrote: »
    Wandered aimlessly into this thread, having never heard of Archer. Was prompted to check out some clips on youtube. Looks freaking hilarious :D

Go and start with episode 1 season 1. It's genius. First five seasons are on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Funniest Archer in a while. Helped a lot by having Keith David play Lana's dad.

Sorry I tried to spit roast your Mom, best line in ages. :D

This weeks episode reminded me how much I missed the Archer cast just hanging out with each other in non-spy based scenarios: I wanted to spend more time with Pam, Krieger et al during their failed bowling night than the 'main' plotline of Archer and Lana meeting her parents.

Also, does this week confirm that it is indeed 'our' Krieger? He's still driving his serial killer van & dating his virtual animé girlfriend :D

Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom.

I swear to god I nearly choked from laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭melbite

just love this show!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Roar wrote: »
    Go and start with episode 1 season 1. It's genius. First five seasons are on Netflix.

Done:D Just re-started Netflix on second free trial after giving it up previously. Have watched first 3 episodes so far, Funny ****:D

So the Archer Comic Con video was awesome

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/10/archer-comic-con-video
    That's how you get ants.... man

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The man who voiced Woodhouse (George Coe) died :(

Angron wrote: »
    The man who voiced Woodhouse (George Coe) died :(

The episode with his backstory is one of my favourites

tumblr_lv865dMvdK1r4lquro1_400.png

Back again with another reboot. A so-so opening episode with a couple of funny gags.

• Advertisement
Advertisement