Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archer

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Third reboot in a row really, but honestly the episode felt very flat and lacking any kind of spark (only time I laughed was the very last -cheesy!- line from Pam and her flyer for the agency). In fact, the patter between the characters was particularly weak: what was once hilarious bickering has devolved into just plain irritating bickering. Perhaps it's time to put this show to pasture, but I'm guessing it's too successful for FX to allow that to happen.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Third reboot in a row really, but honestly the episode felt very flat and lacking any kind of spark (only time I laughed was the very last -cheesy!- line from Pam and her flyer for the agency). In fact, the patter between the characters was particularly weak: what was once hilarious bickering has devolved into just plain irritating bickering. Perhaps it's time to put this show to pasture, but I'm guessing it's too successful for FX to allow that to happen.

Hopefully it picks up this week but I have a feeling we've seen the best this one had a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

The last episode Deadly Prep was pretty good.
    Was a good step up from the first two episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The episode with Archer's old school-mates was a good 'un definitely, but it has been surrounded by very flat, tepid material; this week's being no exception. The writing feels like they're ... I dunno, coasting or something. Throw in 'phrasing' callbacks, let everyone screech at each other for a bit, then call it a day. Think I might see this season out and leave it at that: 4 brilliant seasons, and a few of similar quality after that isn't a bad innings for any show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Started binge watching Archer on Netflix about a month ago. Loved seasons 1-4. Brilliant characters, brilliant script. Holy sh*t snacks has become my favourite swear. :D
    Though I did find the end of season 4 and the end of the.. organisation to be a bit of an anti-climax ending.

Have the last of Archer Vice on now. What a disappointment really.
    Pam's cocaine addiction and neurotic Cherlene stopped being funny very quickly.

Will probably start with season 6 later on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Episode 7:
    Karate Krieger
    :D:D:D:D

Some funny moments, but too few and far between this season. Glad it's over.

Any word on if it's been picked up for another year? After that I really don't care.

Apparently the ratings have been on a consistent downward slope for the last few years, with this season hitting a new low. Quality wise, I think the same is true & bar a few chuckles here and there the show just isn't all that funny anymore; in fact in places Season 7 has been out & out irritating to watch.

Supposedly Adam Reed & co. have been contemplating making a film adaptation, and have even spoke of a live-action version too. Guess it depends on what they all want to do when the show gets canned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think they learnt painfully they couldnt translate the dynamic of the first 4 seasons as spies into other dynamics when we had the mixed archer vice season and then six was a poor attempt to go back, 7 did feel like a shot in the wind to see if anything would work in some ways.

It also felt in some ways that season 4 was heading towards the end as they had the whole nod to sealab as the finale, it was almost full circle.

like how justice league unlimited had an episode dedicated to batman as its finale (as that whole universe started with batman the animated series) but then it got another season and the show felt a bit lost for that season.

odd comparison but I stand by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So...
    Archer is dead???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So looks like this is how the show continues from last seasons cliffhanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Needs more Krieger, lots more.

So ... a season within a coma or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Longer promo clip

God I hope they pull it off.

After the terrible decision to focus an entire season around the dreadful 'Veronica Deane' they need to get back on form..... seriously, episode after episode with this pointless old actress who didn't have a comedic line all season, dragged it all down so much.

I'm hopeful that Archer Dreamland will salvage things, though moving to the sub-channel of a sub-channel (FXX) I wouldn't think bodes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I thought it was fantastic. Absolutely love the noir setting (perfect for Archer), it looks absolutely gorgeous and the jokes flowed at a steady pace. And as always, the cast were impeccable.

A very very promising start.

Roar wrote: »
    I thought it was fantastic. Absolutely love the noir setting (perfect for Archer), it looks absolutely gorgeous and the jokes flowed at a steady pace. And as always, the cast were impeccable.

A very very promising start.

Agreed much stronger than most episodes in recent series'

I'm hopeful that Archer Dreamland will salvage things, though moving to the sub-channel of a sub-channel (FXX) I wouldn't think bodes well.
    Did no harm to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I don't think moving to FXX is a demotion, thats where all their "comedy" programs seem to be going while the drama/action programs are staying on FX.

There's no such thing as too much Jeffrey Tambor. Magnificent.

• Advertisement

Would you believe I didn't realise that was him doing Len Trexler, he is a bloody great actor.

So good again this week. Loving this season so far. Lana's stand up routine killed me stone dead. Brilliant.

Great finale, they really pulled this show out of the fire this season.

Dutch/Barry great character in any reality, gonna miss Woodhouse he was great comic relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has a release time for Netflix been announced yet? So hard to avoid spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Has a release time for Netflix been announced yet? So hard to avoid spoilers

It's on Netflix now watched it last night. The worst season so far imho. It was phoned in. Everything pre-Archer Vice crammed into 8 episodes.

More Ray and the band might have saved it.

Please get rid of Barry, he offers nothing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It's on Netflix now watched it last night. The worst season so far imho. It was phoned in. Everything pre-Archer Vice crammed into 8 episodes.

More Ray and the band might have saved it.

Please get rid of Barry, he offers nothing anymore.

Found it the worst season myself as well, was nearly a chore to watch and just never gets going, the Krieger parts were interesting though.

Xenji wrote: »
    Found it the worst season myself as well, was nearly a chore to watch and just never gets going, the Krieger parts were interesting though.

A chore is being generous. The only reason I persevered till the end was so it wasn't in my "continue watching" list.

Jaysus, not sounding promising. I found the last 2 seasons to be pretty awful so wasn't expecting much anyway

Why did they need to change from the original premise anyway? It's not as if people were saying back then that 'this is getting old'

Jaysus, not sounding promising. I found the last 2 seasons to be pretty awful so wasn't expecting much anyway

Why did they need to change from the original premise anyway? It's not as if people were saying back then that 'this is getting old'

I vaguely recall an interview with Adam Reed who seemed himself a little jaded with writing Archer by Season 4, and wanted to mix things up a little. I got the impression they all felt they'd milked the spy angle for about as much as it was worth.

Just finished Season 8 myself and it's not great; the cast are still game & give it their all, but the jokes are flat at best, or just not there half the time. Reed & co. keep trying new things but it seems to me like their heart isn't in it anymore...

• Advertisement

Short crossover with the Kingsmen movies: honestly it made me laugh more than some episodes of the most recent season:

More alternative reality stuff on the way for season 9

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/archer-season-9-danger-island-title-plot-synopsis-1201858646/
    Archer is going even further back in time next season. After a year in “Dreamland” — specifically the year 1947 — “Archer: Danger Island,” Season 9, will take place in the spring of 1939 on a remote beach locale in the South Pacific.

Announced by executive producer Matt Thompson during the Comic-Con panel in San Diego, it was also unveiled that Archer will be a seaplane pilot with one eyepatch and two partners: One is Pam Poovy, his co-pilot who he’s gotten into “many scrapes” with across the globe. The other is a talking parrot named Crackers, who will be voiced by Lucky Yates (who usually plays Dr. Krieger).

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hopefully it is similar to the Heart Of Archness episode and Rip Riley returns.

More Pam as a main character, mein Gott. Does the voice actor have uncompromising photos of the rest of the cast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Crackers better be good, I love Lucky Yates voice he would be missed if he had been cut altogether.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is terrible so far. I actually turned off episode 2.

This is terrible so far. I actually turned off episode 2.

In general or a particular season?

Not great so far Cyril is rotten Pam doing a passable job too little to work with for the cast with such a limited space being on the island I miss Woodhouse poor George Coe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Two episodes in and about all that can be said is that it's average stuff so far.

Epsiode 3 plodded along. Hoping it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Just finished episode 1, finding it very hard to care about anything that happens.
    One entire dream season was already stretching that premise to breaking point.

Thought that was gonna be Barry Cyril is woeful this time round so is Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I actually found episode 4 interesting... Curious to see where the plot goes now but nervous it'll go nowhere as Archer has a tendency towards.

Did anyone make it through the whole series? I gave up after 3 and only struck me tonight I'd actually forgotten about it. Can't imagine it being anything other than the worst series of Archer :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah Pam and Crackers highlights Lana Cyril and Ray were crap Mallory Archer and Cheryl were not too bad missed Woodhouse terribly and Barry

It's not a patch on what it once was, but I suggest you binge watch the latest season. Apparently the next season is the last.

Looks like they're doing another theme for Season 10;

Disappointing character development again hope we get Barry somehow this time

Archer come out to plaaaaaay

I hope this season is better than the last few. It has dropped a fair bit in quality compared to the earlier seasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement