Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit just gave birth

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Great you got him done Lars, definetly keep him indoors for now he'll be cold after the anesthetic and won't be able to regulate him temperature and it's cooler at night now.

If he has a cone on his head make sure he's able to eat and drink (another reason to have him in at the mo) if he hasn't got a cone on his head keep a very close eye because a lot of rabbits will pick their stitches open.

Unless the rabbits have a warm shed or outhouse to put their hutch in you will have to bring them in soon anyway ideally now before the temp. goes down much more. All else fails a hutch hugger or similar will be needed but if we get a winter like last year then they definetly need to be in a heated shed or in the house.

For how long exactly? The vet said between 3 and 5 days, and he wants to check on him next Monday. The stitches will be taken out next Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For how long to keep him in or for how long to keep a cone on?

Keeping him in for 24 - 48 hours once you are sure he's eating well and able to eat through a cone if he has a cone on.

If he has a cone on leave it on until the stitches are due to come out, which is between 5 and 7 days usually, they heal up really fast.

For how long to keep him in or for how long to keep a cone on?

Keeping him in for 24 - 48 hours once you are sure he's eating well and able to eat through a cone if he has a cone on.

If he has a cone on leave it on until the stitches are due to come out, which is between 5 and 7 days usually, they heal up really fast.

I went for a checkup today and the vet told me, it takes 10 days before the stitches are coming out, that would be tomorrow week.

But he is keeping well, eating and drinking properly :)

So, the proud father is keeping well, got the stitches out a few days ago.

The baby is getting bigger every day, his (or her) eyes are open and he (or she) is exploring the hutch. I took him (or her) in for a few minutes every day as well.

But is there any idea, if the little one could go out in the garden already? Considering, the weather is fine, the mother his with her and me keeping an eye on the little one?

Have to keep the father away from them for another 2 or 3 weeks anyway, so the vet told me.

And thanks for all your help so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

10 days is a bit long, they can become a bit tight by then but it is normal enough for them to be taken out 7 to 10 days by most vets, I think 7 is the maximum really but it depends how quickly they heal.

If the baby has been inside all this time I'd only let the baby out on warm fine days for an hour at a time it's still mild out but it is a bit damp so have somewhere warm for mum and baby to go. Deffo. not at night though personally I'd be keeping buns in at night until April/May but at the moment during the day the temp. is still pretty even but once it starts to freeze outside I'd stop bringing them out because it wouldn't be good to be going from very warm to very cold.
    I'd supervise the babies trips outside for the first while just to make sure he's/she's ok.

• Advertisement

10 days is a bit long, they can become a bit tight by then but it is normal enough for them to be taken out 7 to 10 days by most vets, I think 7 is the maximum really but it depends how quickly they heal.

If the baby has been inside all this time I'd only let the baby out on warm fine days for an hour at a time it's still mild out but it is a bit damp so have somewhere warm for mum and baby to go. Deffo. not at night though personally I'd be keeping buns in at night until April/May but at the moment during the day the temp. is still pretty even but once it starts to freeze outside I'd stop bringing them out because it wouldn't be good to be going from very warm to very cold.
    I'd supervise the babies trips outside for the first while just to make sure he's/she's ok.

The baby wasn't inside all the time, just for an hour or so each day, because the child wanted to cuddle him or her. Apart from that, the little one was in the hutch with the mother.

Anyway, I hope, the little one enjoys her first walk on grass :)

Advertisement