Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squealing Brake Pads, Slowly Going Insane.

Options
  • 22-09-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello guys,

I bought a car recently, a Peugeot 206. The person I bought it off replaced the brake pads before giving the car to me. They work fine, but oh-my-God the squealing is driving me mental. The squealing happens when I turn the wheel any degree left. Or if I press the brake pedal. So basically it squeals all the time. I rang the AA re a car service & explained it to them over the phone and they said the noise was likely due to the brake pads not fitting correctly & when the service guy came out he checked them and said the same thing. He said eventually the pads will fit in, when they aren't so new, and the squealing will disappear then.

Now, I know very little about cars but surely there was something he could have done? I paid for the service but afterwards my boyfriend looked over the invoice thingy and noticed he'd ticked the box for the horn being in working order - the horn doesn't work, and never worked for the previous owner either so maybe he wasn't very thorough..... I paid about €180 for their 50 point service.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sometimes new brake pads squeal, surprised the AA chap didn't suggest

ask your local mechanic(some one well up to check brakes) to check the

pads and apply plenty of copper grease to the backs of the pads as there

seated into place. Always worked for me, not a major job either OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It could also be a stone in behind the dust plate or the dust plate got bent at some stage.

Get someone in the know to have a look at it for you. There is no valid reason for ordinary pads that are correctly fitted to squeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Brakes some times squeak also when is bad quality pads used, better use original ones, or if in case need change brake discs need get same make pads. i had similar problem with older mazda before, and after i put original brake pads, squeak gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

id agree with the bad quality pads comment, ive a peugeot 306 and had huge problems with squealy front brakes, i striped, de-glazed and greased the pads sevral times to no avail, i fitted a set of apec pads and never had a problem again

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a constant squealing, high pitched screech that stops only when the I press the brake or if the wheel turns right. Could the AA guy have been wrong, and it's not the brake pads? It seems like an awful lot of constant noise for ill fitting brake pads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is the stone-guard touching off any moving part on any corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adales

I know this thread is a bit old now but my sister has a 206. She was having the exact same squealing issue. Main Dealer said that while the pads were not worn down the brakes pads fitted to some of these cars were the cause of this as they were made too hard. They replaced them with the newer ones and the squeeling went away.

Advertisement