Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increase in Collared Dove Population

• 22-09-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be larger numbers of collared doves around lately?

I first noticed them about five years ago when a pair started coming into the garden regularly - and still do! - but over the past few years these two have grown into the 18 I had in the garden this morning :eek:

Either my original two have been very busy or word has got round that the food in my garden is the best in the neighbourhood ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I wonder is there a rural/urban difference.

Have had a pair nesting in a shed in farmyard for many years, I think at least 15 years Don't think there has ever been 2 pairs.
    In my garden, I've seen Collared Dove twice in 13 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I'm out country, with just a small garden (think semi-d size) but there must be a lot of them out here.

When I went out to the feeders this morning, there were eight waiting on the roof, seven on the telephone line and another three lurking somewhere else!

I really don't mind them coming into the garden, but at this rate I'll soon be spending more on bird seed than on food for me and himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

They are very common in South Dublin. They spend a lot of time on the roof waiting for feed. The pigeons are worse. They fly around my head, eat, then scarper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

I have a pair that turn up at about 17:30 every day and clean up under the bird feeder. Never seen more then the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I saw about 4 the other day and I've never seen any before. Very pretty birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Collard Doves only arrived in Ireland in the 1950's, so it would not be surprizing if their numbers are going up as they become more established. I'm sure Birdwatch have proper data on their numbers, but it does look like they are increasing in some areas. I seem to remember the odd pair showing up in gardens in the 80's, now it seems to be regular visits by larger groups. I get up to 8 at a time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Collared Doves are consistantly in the top 20 most widespread garden birds in Birdwatch Ireland surveys. They favour suburbs and rural areas, where there is cereal farming. At this time of year they flock more as they feed on recently harvested fields. If you use a cheaper seedmix for garden bird feeding it will contain the bigger grains that Colared Doves prefer(Wheat & Maize). They are in Ireland since 1959 and at one point looked as though they would reach pest proportions, but numbers have settled and are fairly static for the past 10 or 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be larger numbers of collared doves around lately?

I first noticed them about five years ago when a pair started coming into the garden regularly - and still do! - but over the past few years these two have grown into the 18 I had in the garden this morning :eek:

Either my original two have been very busy or word has got round that the food in my garden is the best in the neighbourhood ;)

beautiful bird

Same as you, first noticed them maybe three or four years ago
    I live in the city and theres nearly always a pair or two around in the garden.

I saw a bbc documentry about garden birds sometime back, they said the c. dove
    is not native they spread from asia across europe after ww2

this is what wiki says

The Collared Dove is not migratory, but is strongly dispersive. Over the last century, it has been one of the great colonisers of the bird world. Its original range at the end of the 19th century was warm temperate and subtropical Asia from Turkey east to southern China and south through India to Sri Lanka. However, in the 20th century it expanded across Europe, appearing in the Balkans between 1900–1920, and then spreading rapidly northwest, reaching Germany in 1945, Great Britain by 1953 (breeding for the first time in 1956), Ireland in 1959, and the Faroe Islands in the early 1970s. Subsequent spread was 'sideways' from this fast northwest spread, reaching northeast to north of the Arctic Circle in Norway and east to the Ural Mountains in Russia, and southwest to the Canary Islands and northern Africa from Morocco to Egypt, by the end of the 20th century. In the east of its range, it has also spread northeast to most of central and northern China, and locally (probably introduced) in Japan.[2][3][4][6] It has also reached Iceland as a vagrant (41 records up to 2006), but has not colonised successfully there.[7]]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Collared_Dove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It nearly has to have been artificially introduced though, doesn't it? Otherwise why would it not have spread here already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It nearly has to have been artificially introduced though, doesn't it? Otherwise why would it not have spread here already?

No, their range expanded and they gradually spread throughout Europe. They are a natural addition to our fauna and most certainly not introduced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement