Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for computer build help.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭garde2k10

1.€650
    2.gaming
    3.yes
    4.no
    5.no
    5b.32" LCD tv Hdmi
    6.no
    7.no
    8.whichever
    9.duno
    10.diy

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SlickanTwisted

Hi there I have decided to branch out and get into pc gaming. After years of console i want a bit more from my gaming experiance. i have just bought the tornado race seat aswell as the csr wheel and pedals. i want to get into iracing to begin and then bf3 ect ect. any help or advice will be greatly appriciated.

budget ....................650 to 850 ( mid to high end system )

main purpose is for gaming ,internet, music and movies ( iracing , bf3, crysis, )

not to sure about windows is there other os systems, ( whichever is better )

not using parts from current pc.

I dont need a monitor as i use my 42inch led tv for both pc and console at the min

I dont need keyboard or mouse at the min ( but will invest in gaming one later ) but want wireless card and anythig else that will impreve my gaming experiance

not looking to overclock yet but again will give it a try in the future to speed up the system

can pay debit cart, paypall,

can purchase over the next 3 weeks,

situated in small town outside galway ( gort )

Much Appriciated

Slickantwisted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hi SlickanTwisted

Can you got back to the main forum here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842
    And click new thread and post the info.
    It's best to keep each build in a seperate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

1. What is your budget? [€500 approx] i can go over this a little......

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Pro Tools)

Games.... the upcoming Elder Scrolls online

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Yes, I can use the following
    [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.]
    750watt psu
    sata DVD drive and Sata Harddrive

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1680x1050] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? any of these [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [within 14 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Louth]

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, mainly Minecraft & Internet use

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I can supply a Sata Hard Drive

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1280x800 (possible jump to a HDTV so HDMI is necessary)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? No Date Yet

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Maybe one of the mods should edit the first post to indicate starting a new thread, rather than posting in this one. (damojag, that's what you should do too)

Serephucus wrote: »
    Maybe one of the mods should edit the first post to indicate starting a new thread, rather than posting in this one. (damojag, that's what you should do too)

Yes and it would also be good to have this stickied and updated more often. Most people start a thread and then have to be pointed to this because it's not on the first page.

Could we add the question asking if an optical drive is needed and explain windows can be installed from USB. There are probably many people spending €20 on a DVD drive they do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah for sure. Dvd drives are the new 3.5" floppy drives.

Why microsoft don't distribute windows on 8gb usb's is beyond me as well. At least give people that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DragonPony69

Budget is 400-450 euros

wanted for gaming and internet ( skyrim, fallout nv, elder scrolls online, minecraft )

Dont need a copy of windows

Dont need a monitor

Wireless card , keyboard and mouse

Might overclock in future

pay with lazer

buying in a couple of months

dont need help building ( have a friend )

Hi DragonPony69 can you start a new thread with the same info in the post

And mod can we please have this sticked and updated?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes and it would also be good to have this stickied and updated more often. Most people start a thread and then have to be pointed to this because it's not on the first page.

Could we add the question asking if an optical drive is needed and explain windows can be installed from USB. There are probably many people spending €20 on a DVD drive they do not need.

Not sure how it would be worded, bu IO always though some sort of question on general storage preferences might be good (ie DVD, SSD, 2TB HDD etc).

I sent a PM to one of the mods a month ago about updates to this thread but have yet to hear back.
    Which mods are active on this forum?
    It would be great if we could get this stuck to the first pages as it can be difficult for new comers to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Solitaire usually sorts out stuff if you PM him. It could be though that there was a boards request from above to restrict the number of stickies in a few of the forums, so they're trying to keep them as slim as possible.

I'd like to see this maybe merged with the FAQ. The FAQ could do with a fix up while they're at it.

I think maybe an extra question about features people would like in their build could be of use - would they like a quiet build, or extras like USB 3, eSATA, optical sound or a card reader. Also, perhaps something about upgradability in another question or that question. Some of this is kind of covered by the peripherals question, but there's room for a part b or something.
    I know everyone would like the quietest build, but I'm thinking that it just gets the person to think about the direction that they'd like to take their build.

Jay Dee, you should put that post in a new thread.

BTW any progress on having this thread updated? This are a little confusing for new posters and as said already things change so some of the questions become outdated. I don't think an update every 6 months would be too difficult to organise.
    It's been a long time since we have had any feedback from the mods on what is one of the most important posts on the board.
    It's not even been stickied yet :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Forums have lost their adhesive properties and are only permitted 3 stickies each. 4 is pushing the boat out and its pretty much the absolute minimum needed for this (and many other tech) fora to function, and even that is heavily assuming people use common sense and use the Linky (Link Sticky) to access all the important destickyed stickies :o Lots of fora use a Linky as a necessary evil in this cruel new era of stickylessness :o

That said, I am trying to revise a few things here and there to improve readability and make the breadcrumb trail here and to other resources a bit easier for newbies to navigate :) Suggestions welcome on that front btw :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skits08

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me any advise? Particularly in Graphics cards and motherboards.

1. What is your budget?€500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?Gaming - Crysis / HTPC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?No

5. Do you need a monitor? No - using HD TV

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking[/B]? Yes

8. How can you pay? Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

skits08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Can anyone give me any advise? Particularly in Graphics cards and motherboards.

1. What is your budget?€500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?Gaming - Crysis / HTPC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?No

5. Do you need a monitor? No - using HD TV

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking[/B]? Yes

8. How can you pay? Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Before Christmas

Start your own thread with that info and i'm sure you will get some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Fool here messed up , sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

jonski wrote: »

1. What is your budget?
    [up to €1800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/] (If gaming include which games) [ BF1, Elite D, Company Of Heroes ]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes and No I think , I have an original Win 7 Ultimate disk that I have upgraded to Win 10 , not sure if I can use this or not. Either way I will need a copy to sell on this PC ?]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [ 250G SSD and 2 TB HD ]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes, but it doesn't have to be straight away plus I should get at least €300 for my old pc so that can go towards one]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24"]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [see above]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Nope]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [rather not, probably due to outdated thoughts on same ]

8. How can you pay? [Credit card and amazon vouchers]

9. When are you purchasing? [ was going to hold out to see what effect Ryzen has on the market but I'd like to get the ball rolling on some of the gear]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [ I should be ok putting it together but I will expect absolutely everyone to be online at the time just incase :D]

If you have a sample build yourself, use [ I don't because I'm finding it a bit confusing but I have ideas that I want to flesh out below] to format it nicely.

I'm really looking for both general thoughts on what the build should be and then specifics on certain parts and any advice in between .

For example I was wondering if there is a case that has been designed with AIO liquid cooling in mind , just thought it would be handy for mounting the rad outside but no idea if there is such a thing or if it's even necessary . I'd also like the case to be light, if possible, as I'm getting on a bit and have a bad back and I like to take the PC out from under the desk every few weeks and clean the dust from around it . I'd also like it to take a full length graphics card ie. my current one is 406mm .

As regards the mobo, I assume if I am going intel then it's the Z270 but there are sooooooo many brands and so many variations .

CPU i7 7700 or 7700k , but I read an article the night before last that reckoned the i5 7600k was better for gaming ?

And lastly ( for now ) , it was hard to put that money together and I'd rather not spend it foolishly or unnecessarily if I don't have to . I'm sure I'll have more questions so it might be an idea to petition the mods to ban me .

Make your own thread.

If not overclocking you won't need any k chip or z motherboard for that matter which brings me to why even meed liquid cooling??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Make your own thread.

If not overclocking you won't need any k chip or z motherboard for that matter which brings me to why even meed liquid cooling??

I hit reply to get the copy and paste and then hit post instead of making my own thread , sorry folks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

1. What is your budget?
    500 to 600 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? mainly office based work with some gaming ie counter strike

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Yes

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not sure what that intails

8. How can you pay? bank card

9. When are you purchasing? hopefully in the next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? have the building side sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

CptMackey wrote: »

1. What is your budget?
    500 to 600 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? mainly office based work with some gaming ie counter strike

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Yes

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not sure what that intails

8. How can you pay? bank card

9. When are you purchasing? hopefully in the next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? have the building side sorted

You're better off copying this to a new thread and starting there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A teenager just built a computer for gaming everything worked fine but now the headphones aren't working. It's not the headphones that are faulty, is there any way of knowing what the problem could be? Would anyone have any tips on how the problem could be solved?

Thanks in advance.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A teenager just built a computer for gaming everything worked fine but now the headphones aren't working. It's not the headphones that are faulty, is there any way of knowing what the problem could be? Would anyone have any tips on how the problem could be solved?

Thanks in advance.
    • Have you tried both sets of headphone ports (front/case, rear/motherboard)?
    • Have you tried headphones with a different system, or on a phone?
    • Have you checked in sound panel if Windows is trying to output to the headphones instead of speakers/monitor?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    • Have you checked in sound panel if Windows is trying to output to the headphones instead of speakers/monitor?

Thanks for the reply Kiki, I will get definitive answers to those questions from the creator (teenager) at dinner tomorrow evening and I'll be back to you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Probably a shielding problem? Had the front input stop working on my last machine while the back worked fine.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Hi again Kiki, and again thanks for helping. The teenager is amazed that I could possibly help with this problem, a future Boards.ie member in the making. Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

1, Yes all inputs were tried.

2, Yes, also tried other headphones on the PC and still getting the issue.

3, Yes, the headphones are selected to output sound.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Probably a shielding problem? Had the front input stop working on my last machine while the back worked fine.

Hi Taylor, I'll run this by him and see if he has considered it or knows what it is.

Thank you for the reply.

I'd love to see the problem solved by Boards.ie just to show him that there are actually nice helpful people out there who go out of their way to help complete strangers with their expertise/experience.

I've experienced it myself the last couple of years on many issues and would love him to appreciate the potential of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Click on the sound icon in task bar and change to all the different connections just to see. Are you connecting to the back of the PC or on the top/front of PC i.e the case connection and not the motherboard?

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »

Taylor, he doesn't think it's a shielding problem as the problem persists with both the front and the back headphone jacks.

Thanks for ruling that out, he will get there with yer help and the process of elimination, I hope.

Advertisement