Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is German really this hard?!

Options
  • 22-09-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm doing Law Plus (first year), and one of my modules is German. I got a B1 in the LC but really worried at how much harder it seems to be in college... I had 1 tutorial so far, the tutor didn't say a single word of english, and gave us an entire 400 page German novel to have read by the end of next week.

Can anyone who's done German tell me how you got on? Is it really this much work all the time? I really wanted to keep on German but if the first week is this bad I'm seriously wondering if I should try to change modules...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I do French and Business and when I came first I was slightly concerned about how hard it was. I also got a B1 in the lc but I still find it really hard. For me it was the way they spea french in class but also the content is no way similar to what I was expecting.
    I really want to do it but will have to think hard about it if its going to screw my qca.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Im taking the same class..couldn't believe how fast she expects us to read that novel..its crazy! I do think it'l get easier as it goes on though, its just hard to get accustomed to it at the start when its so different from a secondary school german class.

How far have you got in the novel so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I agree it will get easier with time. That said, I talked to my academic advisor this morning, I'm switching to either Psychology or Economics instead. I would've maybe liked to keep German on if it was a little less intense, but I was dreading more of those tutorials , let alone tackling that bloody book :P

I'm so disappointed the first Boardie I've found that's in one of my classes is from the class I'm dropping! Anyway, hope German goes well for you, give that Scottish lecturer my regards :P

Advertisement