Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU services Ltd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Can someone remind me where the 60000 came from?

Where the actual specific €60k came from and why it was there is because the value of the depreciation of the 3 vehicles (minibus, 4x4 and sprinter) was put into a fund so that when the time came to replace the vehicles, money would be there for it.

ie vehicles worth €100k this year, will be worth €90k next year, so the €10k difference is set aside in a fund so you always have the true value. Then when the time comes to replace the vehicle you have the money there.

C&S are replacing the minibus because the current one is old and keeps breaking down. They are using the €60k set aside to pay for it. The bus has been ordered as far as i know, i remember seeing CAD drawings of the layout inside etc a few months ago.

But now that €60k is gone, and all in C&S are worried about when it can be recouped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

What was said above. I'm reserving any further comment for now, but tony summed up the majority of my sentiments quite well.

why the pretense?

just say what you want to say, you're not in the union any more so why the hush hush cloak and daggers shroud of secrecy?

why the pretense?

just say what you want to say, you're not in the union any more so why the hush hush cloak and daggers shroud of secrecy?

To be fair, him and the societies officer last year, James, were made scapegoats out of this and are going to be fighting their own corner at the meeting on Tuesday. For Keith to reveal all his cards on a public forum that Derek et al will be reading, it would be a bit like playing Texas Hold'em and showing your cards to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I see thanks for the explanation.

how were they made scapegoats can i ask?

i mean they obviously had nothing to do with it.

It was something derek did during the summer, keith and james wouldnt even have been around campus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

To clear that much up as it will be in the minutes released, Derek explained that the SU Executive approved the release of C+S funds and he specifically stated that both myself and James approved of it. That is why I am reserving any in-depth comment until the meeting on Tuesday :-)

No idea if you read it yet, but if not this might shade some light:

http://ulsupresident.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

initially thought this was just a simple issue of a loan...fcuk me theres enough twists in this to turn nexts tuesdays meeting into a drama

To clear that much up as it will be in the minutes released, Derek explained that the SU Executive approved the release of C+S funds and he specifically stated that both myself and James approved of it. That is why I am reserving any in-depth comment until the meeting on Tuesday :-)

No idea if you read it yet, but if not this might shade some light:

http://ulsupresident.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

and i assume you and james didn't approve of it........?

Come to the meeting on Tuesday. I know it sounds like a stupid answer and if I were in your position I would think the same, but it will all *hopefully* become clear on Tuesday exactly how and by what means this decision was made.

I feel like an idiot saying what I just said haha but seriously just come Tuesday :-)

I am on C+S side however in this regard. People who know me can testify to that.

surely it's a simple yes or no answer, you either did give authorisation for the transfer of money, or you didnt?! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hey Sid,

The 60k came from this:

Each year the SU is given a level of capitation from the University via our registration fees. There is an agreement between the students union and the university that it be split 2/3 to clubs and socs and 1/3 to the union.

The 60k was a reserve built up from our 2/3 over the last number of years as designated by clubs and societies council. A certain amount is set aside each year and if there is roll-over in funds that can also contribute to it.

As for the minutes, I am not sure if they have been typed up yet, but I would feel confident that they will most likely be available tomorrow. I'll go and have a chat with Liz myself as I know there are a number of people requesting them.
    Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Where the actual specific €60k came from and why it was there is because the value of the depreciation of the 3 vehicles (minibus, 4x4 and sprinter) was put into a fund so that when the time came to replace the vehicles, money would be there for it.

ie vehicles worth €100k this year, will be worth €90k next year, so the €10k difference is set aside in a fund so you always have the true value. Then when the time comes to replace the vehicle you have the money there.

C&S are replacing the minibus because the current one is old and keeps breaking down. They are using the €60k set aside to pay for it. The bus has been ordered as far as i know, i remember seeing CAD drawings of the layout inside etc a few months ago.

But now that €60k is gone, and all in C&S are worried about when it can be recouped.

Ya have to love these types of discussions...2 different answers, both potentially correct, but with so few people who actually know, it'll be a few more days until we discover who is right!

this is like a episode of lost

The answers are the same Mossin. I just went into more detail to explain why there is €60k knocking around. Money from our 2/3 allocation gets put aside to cover the depreciation of the vehicles. It was discussed at council last semester when the issue of the new minibus was raised.

surely it's a simple yes or no answer, you either did give authorisation for the transfer of money, or you didnt?! :/

The SU Executive gave access to Union Reserves.

Mossin, they are actually the same answer, I just didn't elaborate that the 60k was split between 40k depreciation fund of the vehicles and a 20k legal reserve.

Clubs and societies council designated that there would be a depreciation fund, but they are seen as the C+S reserves.

so keith you did give permission for the transfer of funds to take place.

thanks that's all i wanted to know.

hope you're not planning on running for election again mate; i certainly wouldnt have voted for you last time knowing what i know now.

I invite you to Tuesday :-)

6pm Jonathan Swift Theatre. As long as you are a member of C+S you are welcome to attend as far as I am aware, you just won't be allowed to vote (granted I don't know if anything will be voted upon that night).

selling out c+s, bet you didnt put that on your election pamphlet.

so keith you did give permission for the transfer of funds to take place.

thanks that's all i wanted to know.

hope you're not planning on running for election again mate; i certainly wouldnt have voted for you last time knowing what i know now.

So you are happier having someone who blatantly lied about the spending of €60k and where it came from currently sitting as SU President? Ambiguously misinformed those necessary to approve it?

Fair play to you.

Come to the meeting on Tuesday and see for yourself.

6pm Jonathan Swift Theatre. As long as you are a member of C+S you are welcome to attend as far as I am aware, you just won't be allowed to vote (granted I don't know if anything will be voted upon that night).

sorry i'm confused again. Is tihs a SU EGM or a C&S egm? How do you become a member of C&S? by being a member of a club? How do you get a vote? Being a cmte member of a club/soc?

TBH, the coolly way you're handling this thread Ginge_YOung I think it's more of a pity you weren't elected. good job

Its an extraordinary c+s council meeting. To be a member of c+s and be able to attend you just have to have an active membership with any club or society. To have a vote must sit on a recognized C+S Committee and be their representative at the meeting (Each c+s get 1 vote).

• Advertisement

It is an extraordinary C&S council meeting called a few days ago by the current C&S executive with the support of many of the clubs.

Every two weeks there is a council meeting that two committee members of each club must attend. if something is voted, each club has one vote.

1000th post!

daly needs to be impeached.
    what a sneaky son of a bitch

how do they check if you're a C&S member to allow you to attend?

how do they check if you're a C&S member to allow you to attend?

They dont, just come in and sit down the back, or well anywhere for that matter. Nobody will say anything to you.

I am a C&s member but one of my own clubs is currently in trouble with the admin due to missed meetings so i probably don't have a vote. I can't wait for this meeting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Completely edited this post from what was here as I didn't realise such drastically blinkered positions were being expressed.

Where the money came from is absolutely irrellevant. The point is that the money was earmarked through prior agreement for C&S. Also, the question of the intentions of the money is only relevant in that ULSU has cut the ability of C&S to use that money in the liquid fashion intended.

C&S have been told the money is available; that it exists 'on paper'. This means nothin in my opinion.

This thread appears to be a combination of personal attacks in parallel with demands for information and "straight answers". Any attempt to give straight answers appears to have been hopped on with the level of sarcasm which has hitherto been reserved for Dwight Shrute.

In my opinion it has not yet been shown that exec did authorise any use of any reserves. Keith is NOT the exec. Keith + 1 other is NOT the exec. It is not up to 2 people to say "okay" to something like this (regardless of whether they are fully or partically informed on the issue). Anyone imagining that that is the case needs their head checked.....

I explained this to my labrador this morning and he understood it....

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001647717034

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Come to the meeting on Tuesday. I know it sounds like a stupid answer and if I were in your position I would think the same, but it will all *hopefully* become clear on Tuesday exactly how and by what means this decision was made.

I feel like an idiot saying what I just said haha but seriously just come Tuesday :-)

I am on C+S side however in this regard. People who know me can testify to that.
    Thats a fact, and im sure the same goes for James. Anyone that knows either of you will also know that neither of you would willing agree to something like that.
    Is there a max number of people per club that can attend the meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 red_

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Thats a fact, and im sure the same goes for James. Anyone that knows either of you will also know that neither of you would willing agree to something like that.
    Is there a max number of people per club that can attend the meeting?

I'd expect it will come down to how many the Jonathan Swift can hold. I'd imagine there may be some issues if any voting is involved but that could be resolved by moving the 2 voting members from each committee to one side of the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

red_ wrote: »
    I'd expect it will come down to how many the Jonathan Swift can hold.

The swift holds about 400 i think. I doubt there will be voting anyway this week. I think it will be more of a disscussion on wether or not procedure was followed and what can we do to make sure that this doesnt happen again. Also, in the interest of transparency, where did every single penny of clubs and socs money go.

• Advertisement

all i can say is keith i hope you were not complicit in this epic swindle.

you've made a lot of friends and got a lot of respect throughout the college and i'd hate to see that tarnished by the lure of a few pieces of silver.

i suppose all will be revealed in due course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement