Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU services Ltd

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

MrsStuffings are you for real?! it seems you've done little in this thread but show how little you know and cast aspersions on the character of anyone named to be in the slightest way involved in this story....

As said SEVERAL times before - the Union have stated that there will be no financial loss to C&S so the idea of anyone having been "tarnished by the lure of a few pieces of silver" in that light is completely unfounded.

It's absolutely DANGEROUS for you (or anyone) to suggest that some form of theft has gone on here. If the money will or is readily available to C&S then we have a situation of mismanagement.

It would be wise to think a bit more about what you do or do not know before writing such suggestive comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

MrsStuffings are you for real?! it seems you've done little in this thread but show how little you know and cast aspersions on the character of anyone named to be in the slightest way involved in this story....

As said SEVERAL times before - the Union have stated that there will be no financial loss to C&S so the idea of anyone having been "tarnished by the lure of a few pieces of silver" in that light is completely unfounded.

It's absolutely DANGEROUS for you (or anyone) to suggest that some form of theft has gone on here. If the money will or is readily available to C&S then we have a situation of mismanagement.

It would be wise to think a bit more about what you do or do not know before writing such suggestive comments.

at no point did i use the word 'theft' tony.

i merely wanted a clearer and more concise explanation of what has gone on and who are the culprits.

keith young made no attempt to deny his involvement when questioned.
    assumedly derick daly is involved also at a pretty deep level.

all we've been given is smoke and daggers and masked culprits hiding behind cloaked mystical shrouds!

surely we're entitled to honesty!!

derick daly and paul lee have admitted they dont even know the exact figure that was transferred over!

it could be 65,70 or 80 thousand!

where is the money going! what exactly was it spent on! who decided to do this and who gave them that authority! i dont remember daly being given the right to dip his mitts into c and s accounts whenever he feels like it. thats not the way a business operates and if he done it in the real world he'd be strung up by his balls! daly might have been elected but he'll have trouble making a second term or even maintaining friendships after what has gone on here today! keith young himself has been complicit I assume until he details otherwise, which he has refused to do.

Im sorry if you think i'm angry tony, but the truth is yes i am angry. I want answers and want to know what the fuck has taken place!!!!

apologies for wanting some transparency in the way my union is run!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I'd rather not get into flaming (I'm too good at it) but I will say that I think the language you are using is grossly unfair. It's throwing the tar and waiting for answers before following on with the feathers - you appear intent on tarnishing reputations with little more than ill-informed opinion.

But that's up to you - work away..... what goes around comes around.

I intend to actually attend the meeting and hope (maybe beyond hope) that people will gain clarity and ask relevant questions rather than engage in front line attack for the sake of a row.

G'luck,
    Tony

P.S. in my view the amount is irrelevant - if it's 60/80/90K whatever - the real point is that the whole thing has occurred in a way that deserves explaination. The reason I feel the amount is irrellevant (for now at least) is that Derek has said that all monies will be available to C&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

For your daily dose of drama, read the UL section of boards.ie

MrsStuffings for transparency purposes, want to let the good people know who you are?
    You are throwing words all over the place in an irate fashion, as one can from a pc, but we'd like to know who you are too.

I've seen people get moderator warning/bans for less...
    i merely wanted a clearer and more concise explanation of what has gone on and who are the culprits.
    I want answers and want to know what the fuck has taken place!!!!
    !
    C&S Council meeting, Tuesday 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

at no point did i use the word 'theft' tony.
    No, just words like swindle and phrases like "dipping their mitts into accounts whenever they want to grease their palms?"
    keith young made no attempt to deny his involvement when questioned.
    Actually, he said he would make a statement on Tuesday night, and not on a public forum that has no standing in relation to UL or its SU.

You then appointed yourself judge, jury and executioner.
    surely we're entitled to honesty!!
    Then go to the meeting on Tuesday night, and ask questions. In person. Without hiding behind a keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Polar Ice wrote: »
    For your daily dose of drama, read the UL section of boards.ie

MrsStuffings for transparency purposes, want to let the good people know who you are?
    You are throwing words all over the place in an irate fashion, as one can from a pc, but we'd like to know who you are too.

I've seen people get moderator warning/bans for less...

C&S Council meeting, Tuesday 6pm.

you seem like the man with his ear to the ground on all SU and UL matters and appear to have a good mature head on your shoulders. ARe you the auld lad that works in the stables doing the discos?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I intend to actually attend the meeting and hope (maybe beyond hope) that people will gain clarity and ask relevant questions rather than engage in front line attack for the sake of a row.
    It would be excellent to have a constructive meeting on Tuesday but we all know the most likely outcome is theres going to be absolute chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It would be excellent to have a constructive meeting on Tuesday but we all know the most likely outcome is theres going to be absolute chaos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fEjJ4Ecy9Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

you seem like the man with his ear to the ground on all SU and UL matters and appear to have a good mature head on your shoulders. ARe you the auld lad that works in the stables doing the discos?

stop hating on bir the king!

i'm not he's a good friend of my fathers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Hehe this thread sounds like so much of the absolute dumbness that pervades certain groups that are often associated with student life and student politics.

I can't really find fault with the current exec in the handling of the information dissemination regarding the issue at hand. The stakeholders were apparently informed in order, and the information that is out there so far appears to have been put out there as expected given certain legal issues that may have been required. Certain facts have to be found before conclusions can be drawn, and without these facts and the informing of the relevant parties a correct course cannot be charted for the dealing with of the problems.

I do think that there are questions to be answered though on how this situation was created in the first place:
    • Whose decision was it to move said monies around?
    • Who asked for those monies to be moved around?
    • Who is actually supposed to have the control of these monies?
    • Who over-reached (if anyone) on their job description to enact these transactions?
    • What were the terms of the 'loan'? Interest rate, collateral etc?
    • What can be done to prevent this apparently non-consented moving of (we agree on who ownes these funds anyway) C+S funds to non-C+S entities in the future?
    • Why has this transaction prevented C+S entities getting their money recently - this should not have happened at all.
    What forms of censure are needed if any? Would it be preferable to lose the control of the on-campus shops to a non-student-friendly entity? Is there an element of a Sophie's Choice here?

For those that are mouthing off looking for answers without actually udnerstanding what's going on, please to save everyone (both boards readers and yourselves) a lot of hassle and keep quiet for the moment and attend said meeting on Tuesday, and get the information straight.

I think that the major problem in this situation is the lack of apparent checks/balances when moving ringfenced monies around to entities (though they may well really need it) without the consent of those that the cash was belonging to. The amounts are irrelevant at this stage - I just hope that the loan terms have a lien on the receiving entity to ensure payment is completed, otherwise we may be well down in the list of possible creditors.
    If the loan is unsecured then that is a seperate issue and may show some unfortunate naievety about these things.

*disclaimer: Not current or past Exec member, but I have been fairly heavily involved in some C+S entities over the past 2 decades.

I do hope that this situation is not taken out of context or blown out of proportion - it's serious but it remains to be seen/proven how serious this situation actually is.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Hehe this thread sounds like so much of the absolute dumbness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The union should have no problem presenting accounts at any meeting at any time of year. Using the audit as an excuse not to present accounts is exactly that, an excuse.

The only purpose an audit serves is to verify the accuracy of the books that have been kept during the accounting period being audited. In other words, it's based on accounts that have been kept by the business (in this case the SU) through the year.

So I would put it to the union that they present unaudited accounts at the meeting on Tuesday night which should clearly show where this money has been spent, and where they expect to recover it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Seen a fair bit of that in my time ;) I generally try to stay out of the SU / C+S side of things, as I know that I'm not that good at that. I prefer coaching and keeping people alive..

So who is coming Tuesday evening? I think I'll put my head in, if I'm back in time from a GP appointment in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

interesting how they quickly rushed the agm through before all this info came out also.

there'd have been no need to give free tickets if students knew what really was going on.

typical students union, all cloak and daggers.
    im a postgrad student and i can assure you this level of secrecy and deceit did not go on at my previous college ucc. do these sabbats here just have some sort of free reign that they can dip their mits into accounts whenever they want to grease their palms?
    who do these people have to answer to?
    all very suspect tbh.

I wasn't going to actually post - but I feel I have to in this regard, ULSU is bound by constitution to have their AGM by Week 3 at the latest. There was no 'cloak and dagger' or 'rushing' of the AGM. If you are going to make sweeping allegations - by all means, read both the SU & C&S Constitutions, I can't promise that they are thrilling reads, but you will get your information correct then, and be able to question appropriately.

Having read through the thread more , I echo Canned_ULKC ; are you for real? In some aspects you give the illusion of knowing nothing, then in others you give opposite - either way, you are stirring trouble, making accusations about a serious matter, as well as making them towards people who care/are involved/have vested interests about the situation.

My advice to you, go to the meeting on Tuesday, but remember, you have two ears and one mouth - use them wisely - listen, absorb the information - and think before you speak.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I've banned Mrs. Stuffings for slanderous remarks earlier on in this thread.

Can we try and keep the discussion civil please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fair play to Thomond Student Times for running the story,l because you can bet It won't end up in An Focal.

that is ridiculous there has been no real defamation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I propose this thread to be closed. Information will be given tomorrow at 6pm at a clubs and societies emergency council meeting.

The meeting takes place in the B1 theatre from 6pm tomorrow Tuesday the 27th of September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Boards is not really the arena for this. Those interested can attend the meeting tomorrow and see how far they get making accusations when they are not hiding behind internet anonymity.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement