Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical - Archiving transmission

Options
  • 22-09-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I posted this in the Radio forum with no luck, I hope this is a more correct place.

My university's radio station is in need of upgrading its archiving setup.
    It was originally built by a computer tech student for Ofcom regulations which called us to archive 12 weeks of our broadcasts. We no longer have to adhere to these rules as we are now online only.

Our current system lets us log on to the archiving computer and simply select a time frame on a certain date and we get the download link. It seems to save in 1 hour blocks and there is a fancy trickery going on that joins the files seamlessly.

We use this setup to take our shows down and make weekly podcasts etc.

It currently does its thing at 128kbps MP3. I would prefer 320 if we had to go for MP3.

Does anyone know of software that could do this job for us?

With that asked, none of us in the station really know how to tackle how to refit it. It was built years ago, well before any of the current seasoned society members came on board.

I believe that the output of the studio is sent to two processes, the archiver and an encoder. The latter essentially is an A/D converter which by some more magic lets people listen to us online. Listeners get two choices, low bitrate and highbit rate. I believe the low is 64kbps, high is 112 or 128. I want better low and high rate.

Would anyone have any advice on how to make a new one? The current computers are so old they may not be able to handle the reconfiguring of the settings that we could fairly easilly do.

I am temped to try and get a computer tech student to either rebuild what we have if it would work for a project of theirs and use a more powerful computer or see if we can transplant the current system to a new machine.

Thanks for the read!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Radio Forum is the best place for you.
    I presume you're not in Ireland.
    Regards the streaming rates. the limit you stream at is defined more by your internet connection than by the age of the PC or whatever you use. I guess that's not a problem in the University.
    You need to check the settings on the streaming software. If it really is not capable of more than 128 then upgrade the software. Shoutcast or Windows Media Encoder will do (amongst others).

For archiving, you need "logging" software. I'm not sure but you may find free software on the net.
    If you want to log at 320 you may need to increase your HD size if the PC is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

see http://www.mediauk.com/

Best place to discuss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the reply. I just up in Belfast. Dublin based usually.

I shall check out shoutcast. The current one is Linux based and I don't think anyone knows how to use it.

Thanks for the link also!

:)

Advertisement