Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of email these days?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm just looking for peoples opinion on what (free) email provider they prefer, and what do they think constitutes a good email address.

Here's the background. Lets say my name is John Doe. For the past 10 years, I've been using yahoo mail, with an email address of johnny.doe@yahoo.ie.
    I've never had a problem with yahoo mail, but the "johnny" part of the address doesn't look very professional, and I'm just not that cool "johnny" kid I used to be!!

So I'm thinking of a change. Basically to either Microsoft or Google (because one of them will be ruling the world eventually). So I tried to get new email addresses. Here are the pros and cons of both (as I see them).

For Gmail, I managed to get john.f.doe@gmail.com, where "f" is my middle name. I was lucky to get this as I do actually have a common name in the real world!.
    Pros: I like Gmail because it's fast, and, well, everyone is using gmail. And it would be handy to have just one account for android stuff.
    Cons: I don't like the Gmail interface (even though they are improving it) and the idea of "tags" instead of "folders" seems unnatural to me and I don't think I could ever get used to it.

For Microsoft, I managed to get john.doe@live.ie and john.f.doe@live.com (not sure which I would use)
    Pros: I much prefer the Hotmail interface. I use Skydrive to store my photos so it would be handy to have email in the same place. Will be handy when using Windows 8 - they will alow you to log into the desktop with your windows live ID.
    Cons: I'm in the technology business, and there used to be a stigma attached to hotmail, where it wasn't considered very profesional. There were stories of technology job-seekers being rejected purely because they used a hotmail account. I know the addresses are "live" and not "hotmail" but is this still the impression some people have?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I don't like the gmail setup either....so I use outlook 2010 to read my mail ...and u can set gmail to store your mail even after you download it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This link should help your gmail woes.

http://www.google.com/mail/help/tips.html

Some of these tips I have implemented, some I've left it's a personal setup.

Luckily I got in early (back in the invite stage) and got my <firstnameshortenedfulllastname>@gmail.com so that was handy.

There are the gmail labs too and you can set the "conversation" option off to stop it grouping mails if you don't like that feature (I do).

Also if you right click on a mail you can preview it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Gmail can pick up hotmail for you.

I hate the gmail interface but it works with the iPhone whereas the hotmail one doesn't.

Hotmail is getting better all the time though & I really like some of their recent changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm looking forward to Apple's free iCloud offering. I may ditch Gmail as my primary email address at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

That's the only thing stopping me going back to hotmail full time. Having said that, I try not to log into gmail. the interface makes me angry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't like webmail in general. It was handy years ago as a way to check your email when away from your computer. But most people have email on their phones now, rendering webmail kinda redundant except as a backup.

Google's web interfaces have just gotten worse and worse anyway. Their Google Reader interface used to be better than any client, but now it's just bloated crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

I'm looking forward to Apple's free iCloud offering. I may ditch Gmail as my primary email address at that point.

Hey - not sure what you mean by this.. why would you stop using gmail because you get free space on apples cloud? Do apple provide free web mail????

Sorry, if I'm missing the obvious, heads a bit sore this morning! ;)

Yeah, iCloud will include a free @me.com email address. Similar to what MobileMe subscribers currently get.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use www.mail.com, works grand.
    Tons of domains to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I registered my name as a .com and then setup gmail for the domain and now have me@myname.com and a more vulgar address for correspondence with mates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement