Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Appointment at Merrion. What to expect??

Options
  • 22-09-2011 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

We've attended Holles Street and put on clomid for 6 months. No joy and the they said next step is IUI.We've our first appointment in the Merrion on Monday and I'm due my period mid to late next week.

Has anyone been to Merrion? Will they let me do IUI straight away or will there be even more tests this month? I just want to get going now!! :)
    Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

First meeting will just be a chat, they like both your husband and you to be there. They'll talk about their policies, your test results (if they are older than a year, you may need to re-do- if he only had one sperm analysis, they may want another) and have you sign consent forms. They may want you to do extra tests- for example, they wanted me to have a lap despite no signs of endo before starting IUI- and they like to do "month on, month off", so if you took clomid this cycle, they will probably want you to take next cycle off. Other than that, you may well be doing IUI this coming cycle.

I have twins from my third IUI at Merrion, I wish you the same joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carbarbie

oh thanks so much for all the info. i havent taken clomid last month and have had all the tests you mentioned less than a year ago. I'm so excited to get started.

Hearing success stories give me inspiration!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Did you ever see that show "Ouch, Sextuplets!"? Well apparently they conceived them through IUI, the woman must have been on fertility drugs as well, ie; clomid.

Doubt it was at the Merrion clinic though as the show is based in Arizona :D

Best of luck and ask them about their success rates at the initial consultation

Mink, how is that helpful to the OP?
    This is extremely unlikely to happen in Ireland as they will not do IUI if you have more than two good looking follicles, and are much more conservative with the fertility drugs so that not too many follicles develop.

They are unlikely to give success rates as it depends on so many factors (man and woman's health, BMI, age, type of infertility etc).

thanks Silja. Well had my appointment today. Won't be doing IUI for the next couple of months at least. I had my thyroid checked a year and a half ago and was told it was slightly underactive. The Dr. today said I need treatment to have it regulated before I undergo any treatment as I may not have a safe pregnancy (threat of miscarraige amongst other things). I was really upset but now I'm quite annoyed.

Not once did anyone in Holles Street mention this to me or tell me the risks. They prescribed me clomid for 6 months. It will take a minimum of 6 weeks to regulate it but could take months. :( Think I'm going to write a letter of complaint. The same Dr. is the main consultant over both clinics.

Do you think I should or would I just bringing trouble on ourselves for future appointments.

• Advertisement

I would write, in a few days so you can be totally factual and not emotional. While each doctor has different views on what matters, thyroid issues are a known fertility problem.

Thanks for the advice. Feeling calmer about it today already. :)

Advertisement