Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice Needed

Options
  • 22-09-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/help on upgrading my pc. Budget of about 400euro.

What I have:

Intel dual core E6600
    nforce 680i sli motherboard
    2 gb ram
    850w antec psu
    Nvidia GTX460

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and Ram. I'm playing games like Crysis 2, DCS A-10c, Metro 2033 and am looking to play BF3 when it comes out. I don't need everything maxed out just looking well with a playable FPS.

I was thinking of going with the i5 2500K/3.3 ghz LGA1155 (187euro) along with 8 gigs of ram. Or is it worth the extra 60euro or so to go up to i7 ? Don't know the first thing about motherboards apart from the fact it'll have to be LGA1155. I don't need firewire or bluetooth on it.

Also I know nothing much about ram with regard to timings, mhz etc. Saw 2x4gigs of Corsair Vengance on Komplett. 1600mhz DDR3 i think for 76euro. Any good ?

All the above components were sourced on Komplett.

Saw this bundle on Dabs http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-ultimate-bundle--includes-p8p67-motherboard--intel-core-i5-2500k---8gb-ddr3-memory--7J0Y.html
    but have heard some right horror stories about dealing with them

I'm using XP at the moment but will be upgrading to Win7 ultimate (which I have already). I won't be overclocking and don't need any peripherals once the new motherboard fits into my old case (Gigabyte Chassis).

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Total build cost: €346.23 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €182.13
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €131.57
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €32.53

Has everything you need including a motherboard that will let you SLI GTX 460s in the future. However if you aren't going to overclock at all then theres no point getting the i5-2500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thanks for that.

What would be a good alternative to the i5 if i don't intend overclocking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

My needs are about the same as the OP's. I was looking at this bundle from scan
    http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles (the 323.99one).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Heckler wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

What would be a good alternative to the i5 if i don't intend overclocking ?

The i5-2400 and some H67 motherboard. However overclocking is really easy, you can go from 3.3GHz to 4.3GHz without doing anything really. You should consider it at the very least.

Advertisement