Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Spaying

• 22-09-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just out of interest I was wondering what the average price is for spaying a bitch. I know it differs from dog to dog due to weight but even if I could just get a few examples. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I believe it can differ on where you are too, I know some people have said they've found some Dublin vets to be more expensive.

Are you looking for average prices in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

star-pants wrote: »
    I believe it can differ on where you are too, I know some people have said they've found some Dublin vets to be more expensive.

Are you looking for average prices in Limerick?

No, nowhere in particular, I am doing a Small Animal Care course and was just reading about spaying and neutering and realised how little personal experience I have with spaying as opposed to neutering, I didn't even know how much it cost:o, so I said I come to trusty boards to find out more.We are doing a customer service module so I am interested in how prices differ around the country really, more out of interest than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

as far asi know it depends on the weight of the dog. i got my yorkie done and it cost €120 wheres my sons gsd was €190. dreading what are st bernard is going to cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My friend was quoted 200 euro for her ckc !!! :(,yet another friend got his boxer boxer done for 200 euro (both spays) I was told the gas anesthetic is more expensive than the injection one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I paid €120 in Mayo to get Yorkie done, they are very expensive though. I have priced it at €80 in Galway County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Mine was €75 for a complete hysterectomy, but I had a price from another vet of €120, the latter place don't remove anything, they just cut the fallopian tubes :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I have been quoted $150 - thats for a small dog and thats in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The standard at the min seems to be around 140-150. It depends on whether its ketamine&zylazine anesthesia or gaseous anesthesia.

Many small animal hospitals will insist on blood tests before gaseous anesthesia which makes it more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

If i'm correct it is cheaper for pensioners

If i'm correct it is cheaper for pensioners

As far as I am aware that is if they get a Dog Trust voucher, there are a certain amount of these available to participating practices each year and when they are gone, they are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

I won't comment on the different prices as each business has different overheads- staff numbers, facilities, rates etc

However when getting your spay quotes ask does that include everything (obviously assuming no problem with the spay)
    Things that could be charged as extras, in a Ryanair type model!
    - Elizabethan Collar
    - post op antibiotics and painkillers
    - wound check after a few days
    - stitch removal

Also ask is there a Vet from the practice (or emergency service if in Dublin) on call to deal with any concerns you may have after surgery.

LM

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mamarazzi

Anyone know what it would cost to neuter a male cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Anyone know what it would cost to neuter a male cat?

My sister got her 6month old male kitten neutered for €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Alot depends on the weight of the dog.

Got my smallest spayed for £120 sterling & my 35kg 10mth old will be costing me €230!

marley123 wrote: »
    Alot depends on the weight of the dog.

Got my smallest spayed for £120 sterling & my 35kg 10mth old will be costing me €230!

Yikes, that is a lot of money but of course it is worth it in the long run.

Advertisement