Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Enterprise Board

• 22-09-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever have any dealings with them, or know someone that has? Are they any good at helping people set up businesses? From reading the papers it looks like they have helped a few new local businesses.

But a friend of mine wanted to meet them, was asked to fill out a form before they will even meet him, which he did. The form basically asks what kind of business you want to set up, start up costs etc. So over a week goes by and they haven't replied at all, even just to say "Thanks, we have received your application, we'll be in touch". Just zero response. Very bad form. Just wondering has anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I've dealt with them in the past and also know of others..can't say anything bad about them..have always been very accommodating and were very good at giving start up grants.

a week isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things..i'd tell your friend to just put in a phone call to make sure they have received it and i'm sure they will look at it in due course:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I've only heard good things about them.

I agree with the above, a week isn't very long. I'd allow 2 weeks before getting impatient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Interestingly enough I emailed them only last week about that start up your own business program that they do (twice as a matter of fact) and I didn't hear a word back. I put it down to them prob getting allot of emails so i'm just gona call in. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Check this out http://www.seepp.ie/news.php#0000000048 Might be of some use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I can't say anything good about them.

Wasteful, inefficient, out of touch, unhelpful, priorities arseways.

My company were unfortunate enough to be a tenant of theirs for a while. Unbelievable wastage. 24kW of electric heaters blasting out in the corridors all day, every day.

Expensive lift and security contracts. (But security in the building actually very bad).

No redeeming features I'm afraid. They talk the talk but don't follow it up with useful actions. Typical out-of-touch civil service attitude.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I know it's only a week and they could be very busy, but it only takes 30 seconds minute to type an email just to acknowledge receipt of the application.

ziedth wrote: »
    Interestingly enough I emailed them only last week about that start up your own business program that they do (twice as a matter of fact) and I didn't hear a word back. I put it down to them prob getting allot of emails so i'm just gona call in. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    Did you hear anything back from them?

It's over 2 weeks now since my friend contacted them and still no reply. I think that is just disgraceful. That lack of response, which I assume happens to other people looking to set up a business, must be very disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

It's over 2 weeks now since my friend contacted them and still no reply. I think that is just disgraceful. That lack of response, which I assume happens to other people looking to set up a business, must be very disheartening.

Some advice:
    1. if you don't get a reply phone them every day until you get to speak to the person you need too.
    2. If that does not work, call in to the office.

In business you need to email, call, chase people every day to get anything done, and this is the same for other businesses and customers.
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it...

Personally I would not be still waiting 2 weeks later.
    If you want to set up a business then EVERYTHING you try to do, someone will put up a barrier to stop you. This country is one of the most difficult to start a business in.

In saying that I have started up a new business earlier this year and once you do get in contact with these agencies, they will try to help, but prepared to beg to get what you want or need.

Waterford area partnership are also helpful for advice and support, but have very little funding to offer.

If you want something bad enough and keep trying, never give up, then you have a chance.

let us know how your friend gets on. would love to know.
    Can also contact me if he likes as I've been through the process a few times with new start up businesses... would be more than happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

This country is one of the most difficult to start a business in.

Pure crap. Ireland has about the least red tape of any country in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No I didn't hear back a peep. In the meantime I got contract work in a factory so when I finish up in the next couple of weeks I'll go into them all together. Not even getting an reply kind of is annoying but I'm happy to leave it off.

• Advertisement

At first I found them awful, waited ages to get an appointment etc but once you've your foot in the door they are very helpful. I think they are just understaffed to be honest. I have received a lot of help in the past which has been invaluable. The actual people you would be dealing with are very good if a little slow with admin.(not their fault though). The Waterford Area Partnership are great for advice but not so great with grants etc.
    BTW does anyone know how the board members are actually chosen?

My friend ended up hearing back from them anyway and he has an appointment with them in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

The Waterford Area Partnership are great for advice but not so great with grants etc.
    BTW does anyone know how the board members are actually chosen?

Maybe this explains it

http://www.wap.ie/board-structure.aspx

Advertisement