Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB forks recommendation

• 22-09-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Slowly getting a bit tired of the standard Suntour XCM v3 thing on my bike and was thinking of upgrading it to something that actually works and doesn't weigh two tons.

I've been looking at this one for a while:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59204

but I've no idea what that post mount means (both of my wheel sets have standard quick releases).
    Also, while I like the small weight of it I'm slightly concerned about its durability on trails like Ticknock and Ballinastoe (I do like to jump).

What would you recommend for mostly trail riding? My budget is 400eur MAX (preferably below 300 but if it's worth it I can try for 400).

Tanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

seems like a good fork to me, fathers bike has some variant of the reba on it and its nicer (looking anyway) than my lapierre's recon fork,

as for post mount thats just the type of brake mounting bracket thats on the bike, theres IS mounts and post mounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

That Reba will do the job fine,not much money either,buy away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Reba's are grand, a good XC fork, not my personal choice though..certainly would not spend almost €400 on them!

And if your looking for something to take big hit's you should be looking at a 140mm travel fork..

If your Dublin based give OC Tuning a call on 01 4929552 he usually has some used Fox forks around in great nick, and will fit them for you also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks for the replies. I'd gladly go for a longer fork but then it would have to be adjustable for climbs. Also, the spec of the frame I have says 100mm max :( (it's a Cube Analog)

And another ting, how do I found out what type of brake mount do I have currently? The brakes are Hayes Stroker Ryde, in the CRC spec it's not mentioned what type of mount they need. Just would like to avoid having to change the brakes (kinda like these ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

You won't have to change the brakes - at worst you'll need an adaptor! Rebas are great forks and increasingly people are swinging towards Rockshox because they tend to feel more plush and offer full travel which Fox never do! Anything will be a huge improvement over the Suntours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

They look a good fork for XC riding - I have rockshox sektor myself as I wanted more travel. They are post mount which means there is a threaded part to mount the brakes onto, the other option is IS, which is 2 lugs (holes) 90 degrees to where post mounts would be. There are adapters available to swap things around if you have a mixture, as has already been mentioned.
    You can't go far wrong with rockshox!

RPL1 wrote: »
    You won't have to change the brakes - at worst you'll need an adaptor! Rebas are great forks and increasingly people are swinging towards Rockshox because they tend to feel more plush and offer full travel which Fox never do! Anything will be a huge improvement over the Suntours!

any opinions on fox 32's? i have a ROCK SHOX Recon Silver TK Solo Air on my lapierre race pro 200 at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have the Reba on my bike. TBH, I can't compare it with too many other forks as I haven't had much experience with anything else. The fork on my previous bike was a Manitou with 145mm travel so not comparible. I will say this about the Reba forks, they are very durable and smooth.

i take it reba are better than recon forks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

i have a set of reba team dual air and i think they are an excellent fork, much better than the mid range fox forks and fairly light too. once set up right they are sooo smooth and with the motion control and rebound adjusters they can be tweeked just perfect unlike fox.
    buy them you wont regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I like my Fox 32's,however Fox states on their website that Fox forks require a service every 12 months.Ive found this to be true,as my Fox's started to act up 12 months after their last service.My Rebas on the other hand just keep working,they are 18 months old at the moment and still as good as when 1st fitted!!And the OP is correct,a 140mm fork will give very bad frame angles when climbing.In my opinion,from reading the OP's 1st post,a reba fork will do nicely.There are no trails in Ticknock or Ballinastoe that require 140 mm forks,Fox or otherwise!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

i take it reba are better than recon forks?

Yes
    I like my Fox 32's,however Fox states on their website that Fox forks require a service every 12 months.Ive found this to be true,as my Fox's started to act up 12 months after their last service.My Rebas on the other hand just keep working,they are 18 months old at the moment and still as good as when 1st fitted!!And the OP is correct,a 140mm fork will give very bad frame angles when climbing.In my opinion,from reading the OP's 1st post,a reba fork will do nicely.There are no trails in Ticknock or Ballinastoe that require 140 mm forks,Fox or otherwise!!!

Both Fox and Rockshox forks need to be serviced every 12 months or 100 hours! If you ignore this you will prematurely wear the coating on your fork stanchions and that gets very expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

I purchased these forks 3 months ago from CRC at that reduced price to replace my tired manitou r7's. Have done 3 xc races and loads of trail mileage on them and very happy with them. Fairly light, easy to adjust, the stantions do not flex when conpared to the R7's. Servicing them yourself seems fairly straight foward. I give them a big thumbs up for XC mountain biking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks guys, I think it's decided - the Reba it shall be

Now, have to think of a way how to sneak it past the missus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Fox are better.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

Fox are expensive.......

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Reba with remote Lockout at Merlin, that's the one to go for. Get yourself a shock pump with a gauge to set it up correctly and away you go. Excellent value for money, that's where I got mine.

gman2k wrote: »
    Reba with remote Lockout at Merlin, that's the one to go for. Get yourself a shock pump with a gauge to set it up correctly and away you go. Excellent value for money, that's where I got mine.

remote lockout? is that the little switch that some forks come with that you put on the bars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

remote lockout? is that the little switch that some forks come with that you put on the bars?

yeah! turns a good fork into a great one!

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    yeah! turns a good fork into a great one!

great feature alright

Advertisement