Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Before & After C&C

• 22-09-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Still very new at the whole post processing but i'm trying and god love's a trier,

I would like to hear your thoughts and critique on the following attempt.

Before
    AE0C3750ED704D608A196364B0BE0F54-0000328349-0002554211-00800L-0A432785FC89482B9C8217A25D95941C.jpg

After
    3CA5A5CC2BF44FE8A0FCE2DFF2338F61-0000328349-0002554212-00746L-18FCC7B8E4124A7C9329EBF7975806C6.jpg

Cheers
    Danny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

First and foremost, you haven't cooked the sh1te out of it so good job! Looks like you've upped the contrast and vibrance/saturation to give it a bit of punch which is pretty standard but I think you've lost some of the detail in the darkest areas (the darker rocks mainly) - which is fine if you're making that sacrifice consciously but easily overlooked if you aren't. A little bit of fill light would bring the details back without blowing out the highlights.

If you're using lightroom try messing around with the blacks, clarity and fill light sliders instead of the contrast/brightness/exposure. You often get more satisfying results as they're a bit finer in effect.

The only other thing I'd say is that it looks a little soft so you might want a little sharpening when you've done all your PP and resizing. Hard to tell at that resolution though so it might be totally fine.

Good start anyway Danny, keep her lit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Thanks promac,
    I think you've lost some of the detail in the darkest areas (the darker rocks mainly) - which is fine if you're making that sacrifice consciously but easily overlooked if you aren't.
    yes i overlooked that. Thank you for pointing it out. "makes mental note"
    The only other thing I'd say is that it looks a little soft so you might want a little sharpening when you've done all your PP and resizing. Hard to tell at that resolution though so it might be totally fine.
    No sharpening was done at all.

i will try the 2 suggestions later when i get home from work.

Cheers
    Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

It looks good but there is too much green in the edit that shouldn't be there so maybe try taking some out with the green saturation slider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Cheers square balloon,

I will add that to the list to do tonight to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I think it's a good edit Danny, not over cooked. I think the softness may be caused by using f/20 on a cropped sensor. I'd try f/16 and focus at the hyperfocal distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement