Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College room mates are driving me crazy!

Options
  • 22-09-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi I recently started college so in late August I booked accommodation in student apartments I knew I was going to be going in with strangers but I was okay with that as nearly everyone is in the same boat. I like my room and en-suite I have had no problems with that and the kitchen and living room were all good when we moved in.

I grew up in a household that didn't smoke so I am not used to the smell of it. My apartment was meant to be a non smoking but the other guys smoke and there friends smoke as well in the apartment. We have a balcony and I have no bother with people smoking there but I don't like it in the actually room.

Also the place is very messy which I find very hard to stand I am not these guys mothers so I shouldn't be cleaning up there messes. I am the only person who has taken out the rubbish so far. Also one of the guys had a guy over the other night and he vomited on the carpet and the stain is after soaking in now and it doesn't smell the greatest.

My last issue is these guys also play guitar and it wrecks my head the noise they make. They are into heavy metal music so it is loud. I don't like heavy metal and they don't like the kind of music I like. I would be more into current stuff in the charts etc. Even a girl I know from college asked me was that was playing the music and I said know and I said it was the other guys and I got the impression off her that she didn't seem to like it at either.

One of these guys is getting an electric guitar and amp delivered in the next week or so this is going to be louder. I have paid the rent up until June so I don't know what to do. Also everyone pays 300 euro for damages done to the apartments in September and if there are they deduct it out of the of this all ready these guys have messed up the place so Some of the money will be coming out of my 300. So what should I do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Tell your room mates to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Mention your concerns to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

If its an apartment complex, mention it to the management. They ight be able to move you to a different apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sounds like any other student house, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask to get moved. There'll be other rooms becoming available when students drop out, so a room may become available. Oh, and don't mention the sick on the carpet, as the other people in the house could just say it's your puke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

By October or November there will be dropouts and it should be no issue at all for the manager to move you somewhere else
    Managers hate hassle so push for it, but in a nice way of course

If you don't ask you don't get

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

student apartments
    If this is on-campus, it is quite possible that their behaviour breaks the rules. Even in dedicated off-campus accommodation

Realise however, that there are lots of mummies boys (and girls) who turn into rather impossible people when they leave home. You may end up moving in with some in the next place.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You paid all that in advance to move in with young strangers?I would'nt even want to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

welcome to a student flat! might i suggest taking up smoking, vomiting and finding an interest in heavy metal?

seriously though, go complain to management they'll move you pretty quickly. And the management tend to inspect the apartments quite often, especially at the start so try and get the lads to clean it (good luck though with that)!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sounds like you may be better off looking for digs instead of living with fellow filthy student types.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danno_b

which college are you in ? I have a room to rent in a lovley 3 bedroom house, with a girl and a lad already there, neither smoke and are great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP don't answer that.
    danno_b wrote: »
    which college are you in ? I have a room to rent in a lovley 3 bedroom house, with a girl and a lad already there, neither smoke and are great people.
    Wouldn't it be better if you said where your property is located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danno_b

waterford, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Smoking, puking and Heavy Metal? Isn't that required for an 18 year old college student? Add drugs, drink and messy, messy sex and that's my college years.

Advertisement