Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attainables - Internal Wiring??

Options
  • 22-09-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Bit long winded this one but hopefully someone can help.

I am with eircom 3mb broadband uncongested (dsl is my only option)
    I used to be getting the full 3mb download speed but in the last 3 months it has been gradually decreasing. I'm now lucky to get 2mb tops.

I've been in contact with eircom through boards.ie who have stated the following:
    ...set your profile to 3Mbit but the attainables are only at 2Mbit. Having tested sync and line no network fault was found. From my experience as attainables are lower than provisioned speed cap this may be an internal wiring issue / internal connection issue

So my first question is does this sound right?

Eircom then go on to offer to have engineer call to the house to investigate but there will be a charge if a non-eircom problem found e.g. internal wiring.

How can I configure my setup as a test so I can be 100% sure that the problem is still eircoms or indeed a problem on my end prior to getting an engineer out and forking out cash. (i.e. do I connect router directly to eircom line in box etc)

of course my setup isn't just one or two sockets!!

the eircom line in box is located in my hall
    I have a phone socket in every room in the house.
    connected are two phones, a sky box and of course the router (filters on all)
    I also have a network point in every room and a switch in the hall

I have my router connected to the phone line upstairs. The pc is hardwired to the router on one port. The second port is hardwired to the network socket which supplies the switch with a signal for all the other network devices.

Next question, can an internal wiring problem on the ethernet side can problems?

Anyway, I know this is long winded but hopefully somebody with a bit of knowledge can shed some light on this.

The other interesting thing is that I don't think I've changed anything yet my speeds started dropping.

Massive thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to be connected to the main Eircom socket with everything else unplugged, login to the modem and post your line stats, see if this differs to when connected upstairs with other devices connected. Eircom only support the main socket, after that is all your own concern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Pardon my noobness but by line stats do you mean these stats as found through the router settings page? Thanks in advance

ModulationType: G.DMT
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 384 1984
    MaxRate(kbps) 1008 2272
    NoiseMargin(dB) 20.0 6.2
    Attenuation(dB) 49.0 28.0
    Power(dBm) 12.2 17.3

Put your stats in here, says you can only get 1984Kbps downstream
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

Now move modem to main socket without filter, unplug everything else and post stats again

thanks man, connected router directly to the eircom socket, all else disconnected. stats don't look much different to me though :confused:

ModulationType: G.DMT
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 384 1952
    MaxRate(kbps) 1004 2208
    NoiseMargin(dB) 20.0 6.3
    Attenuation(dB) 28.0 49.0
    Power(dBm) 12.1 17.2

There's probably nothing you can do, they will not give you a new line. They'll tell you the product is "up to"

At least you proved its not your internal wiring. I hope you did that comparison in the main socket both with and without filter to see if there's any difference

• Advertisement

Thanks man, I've tried with and without filters. difference is negligible

any explanations as to why I could receive full 3mb in the past but now can only get 2mb if my internal wiring isnt at fault?

Deterioration of the Eircom line over time

Advertisement