Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

absinthe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

I learned from a paramedic tending to my unconscious friend that the stuff we get nowadays isn't really proper absinthe. The real stuff was banned years ago because it had 'hallucinogenic' qualities. It could have an effect, and i quote, 'similar to LSD':pac:.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

EmacB wrote: »
    The real stuff was banned years ago because it had 'hallucinogenic' qualities. It could have an effect, and i quote, 'similar to LSD':pac:.
    It's a myth. The real stuff was banned in some places because there was a panic about its supposed hallucinogenic qualities which wasn't based on any scientific evidence. Virtually everywhere that banned it has subsequently unbanned it.

The most dangerous substance in absinthe is the alcohol, and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eternal wrote: »
    What I am saying is I dont believe it was available here before 2000.Like in pubs.In the bar in Belfast ,they told us ' oh you wouldnt be able to get this in the republic ' If it was all a dream please refer to Alice in Wonderland for further reference.
    Just because you can't get something doesn't mean it's illegal.
    It simply wasn't being imported by many people.

a few years ago it was impossible to get mountain dew in ireland, it was never illegal.
    shanered wrote: »
    Brought back the green, red, blue and black absinthe from Lanzorote, 70%, 75%, 80% AND 85% I think they were, crazy nights, brought out a bottle each weekend as a teenager and it absolutely ruined everybody who drank it. People crying, falling asleep, puking and the rest.
    Absolutely crazy stuff!
    Worth a try! Wouldn't become your regular drink without some dire consequences though!
    Absinte is green from the herbs used to make it. Rarely, it could be red with other herbs.
    The blue and black were fake, prob the red and green you bougth too. Absinte flavoured cheap vodka at best, although strong.
    Most people who get it on holidays are buying one of these knock-offs.
    rubadub wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tansy

So maybe some absinthes do have tansy in them.
    The Thujone in absinthe comes from wormwood not tansy.

In america, anything sold as absinthe, has the thujone removed, so its not absinte anymore, and just some strong green alcohol. Doesn't apply here though.
    EmacB wrote: »
    I learned from a paramedic tending to my unconscious friend that the stuff we get nowadays isn't really proper absinthe. The real stuff was banned years ago because it had 'hallucinogenic' qualities. It could have an effect, and i quote, 'similar to LSD':pac:.

He's just another person believing the hype and myths.
    The real stuff was banned in 1915, but the ban lifted ages ago. The "real stuff" is availible, but it simply doesn't live up to the rumours of the "illegal hallucinogenic drink".

That said, most people who try it are trying a knock off from spain thats just 75%. The reason they get ****ed up its the strength, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    The Thujone in absinthe comes from wormwood not tansy.
    Yeah, I was saying/wondering perhaps some absinthes had it (as in a mixture of herbs along with wormwood) and led to the confusion.

But checking again on imb again wormwood IS banned in "foods or food supplements".
    Herbal Substances not permitted in foods or food supplements

Artemisisia cina. O.Berg and C F Schmidt - Levant wormseed; Santonica
    Artemisia maritima L -Sea wormwood
    Artemisia absinthium -Wormwood

It didn't appear in my first search as I was looking for thujone.

So maybe it is technically banned, unless alcohols get away from being classed as foods. They do have the bizarre status of not having to declare nutritional information or ingredients (which I have never heard a reasonable reason for).
    EDIT: I sent IMB an email about it.

Absinte is green from the herbs used to make it. Rarely, it could be red with other herbs.
    The blue and black were fake
    I would say that a lot of absinthes, even reputable brands, are artificially coloured. There's no way of knowing, really.

• Advertisement

True. They using artifical colour to speed up a process.
    But a blue one, by definition, is a bit rediculous. I've only ever seen this in resort towns in spain.

a blue one, by definition, is a bit rediculous.
    I understand it became normal practice in prohibition-era Switzerland to make illicit absinthe blue. There are still blue brands from Switzerland, like La Clandestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most of the absinthes on sale here in Switzerland are quite clear (some with a hint of yellow). Occasionally I would come across one with a slight green tinge to them. This colouration is mainly down to the herbal infusions.

I've just dug a bottle out of my desk drawer (from a session in the office a while ago). It is 'Absinthe Bovet la Valote' - a craft-made absinthe from Val-de-Travers in Switzerland. The ingredients are listed as: "Alcohol, water, Grand Absinthe [also known as 'grande wormwood'] & other aromatic plants." It has a very, very slight yellowish tinge & is quite a smooth drink.

FWIW - Over here the 'verte absinthe' (greenish version) is generally considered to be a bit more of a dangerous drink.

Served properly with a flamed sugar cube & iced water from an ansinthe fountain (after a raclette) is a lovely way to pass an evening. :)

BeerNut wrote: »
    I understand it became normal practice in prohibition-era Switzerland to make illicit absinthe blue. There are still blue brands from Switzerland, like La Clandestine.
    Wasn't aware of that, the anem is rather fitting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Just reading this thread makes me sick to my stomach remembering that one night 3 years ago where I was introduced to absinthe... Never. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

BeerNut wrote: »

I have a bottle of this one also :) the liquid is clear and of course turns a milky colour when you add water but I wouldn't say there's much blue in it really but tastes quite licorice-y. Would the blueness be more down to it being clear rather than coloured to make it blue(ish)

Must break it out when I get home tonight, nearly forgot I had it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    EDIT: I sent IMB an email about it.
    From them
    Dear Mr rubadub

Further to your enquiry about the above herbal substance I can confirm that this plant has been included on the IMB “negative” list on toxicity grounds. Consequently products containing this herb would not be acceptable for our traditional herbal medicines registration scheme, nor indeed for inclusion in food supplements in the opinion of IMB. However you need to be aware of the advisory status of this guidance list-i.e. it has no statutory basis, and was considered as being helpful to try to distinguish between those herbal substances used in food supplements from those confined to medicines. IMB is the regulatory authority for the latter and FSAI for the former. IMB has raised the concerns about the potential toxicity of Artemisia species, because of the presence of artemisinin and thujone . When it comes to alcoholic beverages however these are a different matter and ultimately they would fall under food legislation. Such substances are used in small quantities as a bitter and flavouring agentsin such products, as I understand it but perhaps FSAI can tell you if there are restrictions in place given the presence of these toxic components.

Yours Sincerely
    senior person

Advertisement