Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budgie cruelty?

• 22-09-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

i have a budgie and have had it for 5 years and in that time i havent been allowed by my parents to le it out of its cage, is this cruel? i want to let him out badly hes in my bedroom.

would it be ok to let him out? should i? or is it too late? thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

If the cage isn't big enough for the budgie to fly around in, then you should let it out as much as possible, but make sure to pull curtains over as the budgie won't know that there's glass in place.
    Happened to me years back, let a budgie out of the cage for the first time and he flew straight into a glass window, and broke his neck. :`(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Oh the poor thing, yes it is cruel even if the cage is big enough.
    But at least you are thinking about it now, before you do do a few things to make sure there are no accidents. There are no excuses for a bird to have escaped. So firstly as said put a net curtain over the window, or close the blinds/curtain and turn on the light.
    Budgies can't see very well in dim light so the room has to be bright for the budgie to be able to see clearly so if you haven't got net curtains..or a kind of light material over them then stick the lights on and close up the window.

Make up a big sign for the door of the room you have the budgie in, stick it to the outside of the door everytime the bird is out of it's cage so that people know not to come in..better still at the start put the sign up on the door and then lock it from the inside, make sure you are in the room with the bird whenever the bird is out of the cage.

Budgies like to land on the top of doors and their feet can get trapped and toes severed when someone opens the door so be very careful who comes in and out that's why I suggest the lock to start with so there is no way at all someone can accidnetly trap the bird.

The budgies wing muscles will have wasted, even if the cage is big, so you need to take it slowly. Just do all the saftey checks first and then open the door of the cage, at first the budgie might not come out but let the bird come out on their own time, this can take days or weeks. After being confined so long it's important not to rush it. Eventually the budgie will sit on the top of the cage and climb around it and perhaps attempt to fly. The bird won't be good at landing because he will be out of practice so might land on the floor sometimes so it's important you're there to make sure there is nothing for the bird to get trapped behing. No other animals in the room, no toxic plants in the room etc.

Use a clothes horse or something and set it up in the room so when the bird flies he has somewhere clear to land safely.

Eventually after a few months buy some new toys like play stands that you can set up in the room or beside or on top of the cage (depending on the shape of the cage).

It will take a few months for the budgie to regain the full use of his wings.
    Open the cage door (after safety checks) at the same time every day even if the bird, at first, doesn't come out. Keep to a routine, budgies are very clever and prefer a routine. Once the bird is flying around keep up the same routine and eventually your bird, and you, will feel more confident.

Hope that helps, have had my share of budgies over the years and they love their freedom once their confidence grows. It's never too late:)

Oh and use things like millet seed sprays and the birds favourite treats to encourage the bird out, but again give the bird time.
    If you're parents don't allow it then show them my post, budgies should not be kept in cages without free flight time. It's unhealthy more mentally and physically for the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

thanks an absolute million will do that, great advice appreciated

1 last thing how do i get the budgie back in the cage he isnt tame so probably wont just come to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

You put it on the ground with the door open. He'll hop back in in his own time.

Keep in mind that it's unlikely he'll know how to fly. He'll just be hopping about the ground, more than likely. But that's fine - it's still pretty stimulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

I found that is you place a perch stick in front of their feet they will hop onto it. Might take a few goes at first but eventually the bird will get the hang of it. Then just slowly walk towards the cage and they fly in. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    thanks an absolute million will do that, great advice appreciated

1 last thing how do i get the budgie back in the cage he isnt tame so probably wont just come to me

I was wondering that myself

The budgie will get tired quickly at first so if the cage is moveable just put it in front of the bird with the door open. Or if you prefer you could practice getting him to 'step up' on to a perch from within his cage first before letting him out.
    If you find he's getting stressed and you can't get him to move, just get a tea towel and gently pick him up and put him back in.

To get him used to your hands as well just wet your finger slightly and put some of his bird seed or millet seed on it so it sticks then offer it to him and see if he'll eat from your finger, he'll start associating your hand with food rather than something scary.

When teaching him to step up say 'step up' to him as well, he'll eventually learn the command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

my gf has two budgies and the cage is in the sitting room, but its not always practical to let them out. they tend to chew the wooden blinds, which are coated with something that cold be harmful for them. it looks bad if their droppings are everywhere and we have guest over.

santasbird wrote: »
    I found that is you place a perch stick in front of their feet they will hop onto it. Might take a few goes at first but eventually the bird will get the hang of it. Then just slowly walk towards the cage and they fly in. Worked for me.

does this also work if the bird is two and has never been trained? they tend to fly away if I put anything near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Its easier when the bird is young. But i remember once my neighbour found a budgie out her back garden. I took it to give it a home. The bird wasnt a young bird. I started by putting the perch in front of him while he was still in the cage. Now he did flap and fly about but I would do this every day just for a minute so he got used to me and the perch being put in front of him. Eventually he stepped onto the perch, I dont think he even realised.

As I say, I would only try for a minute or less. A bird can get stressed very easily.

Their droppings are easy to clean, spray on some warm water and wipe or use baby wipes. There's also a special poop remover you can get from northerparrots website.

If the blinds are the main area they go to maybe put some shreddable budgie safe toys hanging off the blinds and put some newspapers down while they are out or a washable blanket to catch the droppings.

zooplus.co.uk have indoor aviaries as an alternative to a regular cage, ones that are big enough to fly around in, if they have to be left in for long although it's important they get out of the cage even a large one to keep fit.

A budgie is never too old to learn, although as said take things slow and keep training sessions short. Best time is when they are due a top up on their feed when they are hungry they tend to come to you easier but it'll take time. They're more clever than they seem and they watch what's going on a lot more than you'd think. They're great fun.

santasbird wrote: »
    Its easier when the bird is young. But i remember once my neighbour found a budgie out her back garden. I took it to give it a home. The bird wasnt a young bird. I started by putting the perch in front of him while he was still in the cage. Now he did flap and fly about but I would do this every day just for a minute so he got used to me and the perch being put in front of him. Eventually he stepped onto the perch, I dont think he even realised.

As I say, I would only try for a minute or less. A bird can get stressed very easily.

I am putting a stick into the cage, hoping they will perch on it, but they just flap around and go to the bottom of the cage.

what I also notice is treats. I bought a honey seed bell and they just ignore it. maybe I should sick to the simpler things in life. they like carrot, but not boiled egg, although an internet site recommended it.

Their droppings are easy to clean, spray on some warm water and wipe or use baby wipes. There's also a special poop remover you can get from northerparrots website.

If the blinds are the main area they go to maybe put some shreddable budgie safe toys hanging off the blinds and put some newspapers down while they are out or a washable blanket to catch the droppings.

zooplus.co.uk have indoor aviaries as an alternative to a regular cage, ones that are big enough to fly around in, if they have to be left in for long although it's important they get out of the cage even a large one to keep fit.

A budgie is never too old to learn, although as said take things slow and keep training sessions short. Best time is when they are due a top up on their feed when they are hungry they tend to come to you easier but it'll take time. They're more clever than they seem and they watch what's going on a lot more than you'd think. They're great fun.

I see some people have built a type of gym for their budgies.

am i right in saying that sandpaper is now considered bad for them? My gf used to use it and they took bites out of it, but apparently it is supposed to be bad for them. is this the case with all sandpaper or just some varieties?

Budgies tastes in food differs but try to keep the diet as natural as possible. Most do love millet seed sprays, there's a variety of millet seed you can get now, the ordinary one sold in shops or there's a red one and I think a yellow millet seed, zooplus stocks a few.

There's a lot of stuff you can make them as well, if you check out the website cockatielcottage it has a list of recipes and safe foods, generally what's safe for them is safe for budgies.

I gave up using sandpaper, cheaper to use plain newspaper. I've been using newspaper for years with birds with no probs...obviously take out any staples. Budgies will shred it if bored or given no alternative so if a bird is a shredder shredable toys are handy.
    Not sure if sandpaper is safe or not, they generally use non toxic glue. Some people use bird sand that has crushed oyster shell in it budgies like to give themselves a sand bath sometimes.

Advertisement