Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good gloves ?

• 22-09-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I don't have a clue about motorbikes, but want to buy my little nephew (15) a good pair of gloves for his birthday for riding his motorbike. He uses it every day to go to his apprenticeship, and is French/in France so temperatures are likely to be a bit more extreme for him than over here. Any all season good quality gloves you could recommend ?
    Very grateful for the advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No advice ?
    Are there not makes that are better than others ? like, quality stuff vs unbranded stuff ?
    I have of course been looking on Ebay, but it's hard to know what to go for. Some have a plasticky thing on the knuckles, are these normal every day gloves, or off trail ? Surely you guys have favourite gear that you wouldn't mind sharing ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

i wouldnt know much about gloves,but afak there are no all season gloves.either winter or summer.
    also fit is the king. all gloves have very different fitting
    Plastic on knuckles for protection.Most of winter gloves wouldt have them

i would sugest that you would get him bikeworld voucher.and he could pic gloves himself

Thanks Mandzhalas, good idea about the voucher, except that since it's in France, I'd have to figure a different place than Bikesworld. His mum said he's starting to feel the cold at this time of year, so if I'm to go for a season I'll go for winter, but if fit is awkward...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you have a rough idea what size his hands are just pop into Bikeworld or Cotters and have a look at their gloves. It should be obvious what ones are warm or not.

As already said, most of the hardcore winter ones don't see to have knuckle guards.

You could maybe buy him a zippo handwarmer! Okay not much use on the bike, but it's pretty nice thoughtful gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

For warm/waterproof gloves, there are a lot of options, but it depends on how much you/he is willing to spend. The Alpinestars 365 are fantastic!! Waterproof and warm, they'll do the job. But they're pretty expensive. Next down from them would be the Alpinestars Jet Road. I have a pair of these myself and have used them in the last four winters! Very good and not as expensive as the 365. Another option would be the Dainese D-Dry. Amazing in the wet and warm too. They're not great in sub-zero temperatures though, as I found out the hard way driving in ice and snow last year.

• Advertisement

Thank you ! the 365 are above my budget really, but at least now I have the brand to search as a starting point. That site in France seems to have nice ones around the 70/80e mark, which would be more my price range, but that's only the result of a quick search, will have a better look this evening. Ebay seem to have a good few second hand but good condition ones, that might be an option too. http://www.motoligne.com/gants.html?product_type_id=4&manufacturer_id=27&limit=50&limitstart=50

I find France is often cheaper and I could have them shipped to him directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I find France is often cheaper and I could have them shipped to him directly.

No problem. Yeah anywhere outside Ireland is cheaper to buy anything bike related!! :rolleyes: Just please bear in mind, you get what you pay for! RST are a pretty decent brand (cheaper than A/Stars or Dainese anyway) but their waterproof gloves/bottoms are NOT waterproof, I can tell you that from experience. Akito or Nitro are a budget brand and might be more affordable.

A lot of gloves I mentioned will have kevlar or carbon fibre knuckle guards, but proper winter/waterproof gloved tend not to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

another option is heated grips.80 will buy them.Fits all bikes.
    100% will keep hands warm.But you have to have basic diy skills to fit them.

also of you buy them oxford considered to be decent brand.But for half money you can buy ROCKSTER on ebay.They are 100% same as oxford only diferent sticker on them.i have them,cant fault it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Heated grips are great. But he should be wearing gloves too. Hands are fairly important, you're as well to protect them!

Thanks everyone, I have another while to go before his birthday comes (start November) so going to keep an eye on Ebay, but this is the model I have pre-selected so far thanks to your contributions : http://www.motoblouz.com/vente-alpinestars-apex-drystar-7341.html?sku_id=67277&position=13

Nice reviews on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Mandzhalas wrote: »

also of you buy them oxford considered to be decent brand.But for half money you can buy ROCKSTER on ebay.They are 100% same as oxford only diferent sticker on them.i have them,cant fault it

I was looking for Rockster on ebay and can only find little skimpy gloves. Do they sell warm waterproof gloves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

IMO - Gloves are a very personal purchase - I wouldn't let anyone else buy gloves for me so I'm not sure that buying them for your nephew is a good idea. When I'm buying gloves (especially if its a brand/model I've never tried before) I like to wear them in the shop for 10-15 minutes - you need to get a feel for them , how they fit/flex etc. I imagine you would just be guessing his hand size for starters ....

just buy him some credit on a pre-pay credit card and let him off to buy them himself ....

Advertisement