Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maple tree

Options
  • 22-09-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

I.v been thinking latey I would like a maple tree. Was at the local garden centre for a look and they what was called A japneese maple tree. Would i be right for less than 30 euro they'v a sale on.

Are these trees ok for irish gardens. well these ones grow as big as the ones in the states. Do they need much looking after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

The Japanese maple is a smaller tree than the american so should be fine in an Irish Garden. If your garden is very exposed to wind it may not fare so well but if it is sheltered it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There are a huge range of Maples. They go under the genus name of Acer (Scientific name) This genus included sycamore and many other large trees including sugar maple from which maple syrup is derived from.

Garden centres usually have much smaller maples (Acer species) for garden. There are huge numbers of varieties, many a form of Japanase Maple Acer palmatum.
    Some are red leaved, some are green leaved but turn red in Autumn, some of interesting bark, large seeds etc etc, many have a combination of interesting aspects. Some are very slow growing.

I suggest you think what attributes you want and discuss with knowledgeable garden centre.
    As muckety mentioned some are sensitive to being in an exposed site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Mothman wrote: »
    There are a huge range of Maples. They go under the genus name of Acer (Scientific name) This genus included sycamore and many other large trees including sugar maple from which maple syrup is derived from.

Garden centres usually have much smaller maples (Acer species) for garden. There are huge numbers of varieties, many a form of Japanase Maple Acer palmatum.
    Some are red leaved, some are green leaved but turn red in Autumn, some of interesting bark, large seeds etc etc, many have a combination of interesting aspects. Some are very slow growing.

I suggest you think what attributes you want and discuss with knowledgeable garden centre.
    As muckety mentioned some are sensitive to being in an exposed site.

The one I may get from the centre is green leafed and is turnung red. I was told it would grow 30ft.

I was going too put it in the middle of the back garden put its very open. I may just put in in the front garden with the rest of the trees.

Advertisement