Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom madness

Options
  • 22-09-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

can anyone help me here. i recently got eircom broadband via a zyxel router. it stopped working recently. when i contacted eircom they said it was something on my side and they did a test. then they said it would be €150 to send a guy out to look at the problem. the phones still work but when it tries to connect it justs blinks like it is trying to connect. but when i asked him how he could do a test down the line but i cant connect to the internet he avoided the question. does anyone know if they are doing this.
    also strange is when i asked why it was so dear (€150) they said it was for a special broadband technition "nothing got to do with eircom as it is a different company we were sending out" yet they want to charge it on my eircom bill. has anyone else came across this or knows how to fix it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

christy11 wrote: »
    can anyone help me here. i recently got eircom broadband via a zyxel router. it stopped working recently. when i contacted eircom they said it was something on my side and they did a test. then they said it would be €150 to send a guy out to look at the problem. the phones still work but when it tries to connect it justs blinks like it is trying to connect. but when i asked him how he could do a test down the line but i cant connect to the internet he avoided the question. does anyone know if they are doing this.
    also strange is when i asked why it was so dear (€150) they said it was for a special broadband technition "nothing got to do with eircom as it is a different company we were sending out" yet they want to charge it on my eircom bill. has anyone else came across this or knows how to fix it

Special Broadband Technician......I would love to know what is so special about him!
    Can you not log into your router and see what the stats are telling you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi christy11
    hope I can answer this for you.
    (1) Yes a remote technician can do a test all the way to either your socket or modem even if you are unable to connect. Even if connection down the agent would be able to identify where the connection is likely to be affected.
    In this case I presume that the agent was geting good test results to the modem, as these factors are eliminated the next possible problem area would be connection from the modem ( ie wireless, extention cables, splitter or filter issue) or possibly modem itsself.

(2) The charge for call out of technician is applied if tech goes to site and finds no issue with eircoms network connection or equipment.

If you PM me your telephone number I can have tests run and hope to provide you with a more detailed breakdown. I may even be able to advise on how we can resolve this..
    Will get back to you as soon as I have received your PM.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

hi tony
    could you tell me if the technition will just have a look or will he fix the problem. and will it cost more to fix it. also is it charged if there is nothing wrong with it?

@bigpaddy2004
    ive already checked and it just says 'disconnected' and under it says either ' down' or 'initialising'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hi tony
    could you tell me if the technition will just have a look or will he fix the problem. and will it cost more to fix it. also is it charged if there is nothing wrong with it?

@bigpaddy2004
    ive already checked and it just says 'disconnected' and under it says either ' down' or 'initialising'

Hi christy11,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

Just to answer you query on 'call out charges'. A call out fee is only applied if it is found to be an non-eircom fault. For e.g: if the fault is found to be interference with your phone line, a sky box(s) connected to your eircom phoneline which is interferring with your eircom Broadband, or a thrid party internal wiring setup is connected to your phoneline. If the latter, the engineer will advise eircom Technical Support and they will then follow up on this with you.

This is why eircom Broadband Support will advise the customer to test their modem on the master phone socket (mdp). If you're unsure what this means, please take a look at our eircom Fourm - Broadband Checklist

If you need further help or advice on checking your broadband connection, please call in directly to Broadband Technical Support :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

Hi christy11,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

Just to answer you query on 'call out charges'. A call out fee is only applied if it is found to be an non-eircom fault. For e.g: if the fault is found to be interference with your phone line, a sky box(s) connected to your eircom phoneline which is interferring with your eircom Broadband, or a thrid party internal wiring setup is connected to your phoneline. If the latter, the engineer will advise eircom Technical Support and they will then follow up on this with you.

This is why eircom Broadband Support will advise the customer to test their modem on the master phone socket (mdp). If you're unsure what this means, please take a look at our eircom Fourm - Broadband Checklist

If you need further help or advice on checking your broadband connection, please call in directly to Broadband Technical Support :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes

Ant

hi ant,
    can you tell me if the engineer will fix the problem as he is out there right there and now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hi ant,
    can you tell me if the engineer will fix the problem as he is out there right there and now?

Thanks for post.

Yes the engineer will fix this if an eircom fault. Otherwise, as advised, they'll contact Technical Support, who in turn will advise this is non-eircom related. In which case they should suggest you contact a third party; e.g a monitored phone alarm company, Sky, etc,..

Best regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

hi ant,

If the problem is before the Eircom master socket, the technician has to fix it. Straight answer. If its anything to do with your equipment e.g internal wiring after main socket, phone apparatus, sky box, alarm or anything else, then no he wont fix it. Company policy is to issue a charge, he may offer advice on what you need to do or who you need to contact to rectify the problem. He is not obliged to as his responsibility ends at the master socket. The ony other exception to this is when an Eircom modem under warranty is found to be faulty. Its similar to Esb, if the problem is after the main fuse, its your responsibility and chargeable.

Advertisement