Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educating Essex

• 22-09-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd give people a heads-up on this school fly-on-the-wall documentary.

I've just stumbled on this programme on Channel 4; it's nearly over, but can be caught on Channel 4 +1 or the 4OD site. I'm finding it quite entertaining, laughing here at a big furore over a red hoodie - it could have been shot in our school....except in our school, our staff don't have the dedicated time to deal with issues like that:eek:. Interesting to see that the same problems arise in all schools.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I just watched it and thought it was pretty interesting. However The Daily Mail weren't particularly impressed by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

Loved, loved loved this show! I taught in the UK last year and it is soo different to Ireland and this was a very accurate view into a day in the life of a school in the UK. Can't wait for next weeks show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

it's a hell of a lot better than Jamie Oliver's "dream School" tosh.....

It's a very easy show to edit though considering there's 160 final year students, and you only get to see about 15 odd students and only 6 teachers throughout the 1st episode..

The quotes in it are priceless though,,,

Daily mail are idiots pandering to idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

I think the readers comments in response to the DM article say it all really.

I watched this with a friend who isn't a teacher and he just couldn't understand the obsession with uniforms!
    When I was at school myself I thought that the teachers who made a fuss about ties and jackets were just on a power trip. Its only recently that I've come to understand the importance of implementing all the rules properly, if you want any of them to be respected!

But I loved the DP's response when asked why he was allowing them to throw snowballs at staff
    'because it makes them happy' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

gubbie wrote: »
    I just watched it and thought it was pretty interesting. However The Daily Mail weren't particularly impressed by it

What a surprise! The same Daily Fail would be outraged at anything less than 1950's style discipline and would also flip if students were being expelled:rolleyes:.
    Empsey wrote: »
    I taught in the UK last year and it is soo different to Ireland and this was a very accurate view into a day in the life of a school in the UK.

I didn't feel it was that different. Sure, the structures are different, but all you had to do was change the accent and you have the kids I teach....even down to the problematic red hoodie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

I didn't feel it was that different. Sure, the structures are different, but all you had to do was change the accent and you have the kids I teach....even down to the problematic red hoodie![/QUOTE]

Oh no I totally agree the kids are the same only today I had the same problems with white runners! I feel however the attitude in schools in Ireland are more traditional then that in some of the UK schools. I am not saying that every teacher is like that here however I feel that teaching styles need to differ with our ever changing society. Sometimes the authoritarian style of teaching is not effective. Its clear to see how receptive the students are of the DP! I would certainly love to work along side a DP like that. Saying that I find it hard to strike a balance sometimes as they sure do know how to push buttons and then the dragon is unleashed!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

good show. I feel terrible for the staff.
    horrible moment in ep 2 where the DP is helping the 17y/o kid with math and he cant divide 12 by 3. the lingering edit.. gawd.

Advertisement