Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extreme reactions to radio items/ shows or ads?

• 22-09-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭

OK so extreme may be an exageration- what I really mean is those parts of radio that make you stop what you are doing in a hurry and rush to change the station so you don't have to listen to another second of whatever it is.

I thought of this the other day when the parenting slot came on on Newstalk Moncrieff show. I detest its tripeness and turned the station. I was in my work van which has bad reception and I listened to a fuzzy noise for 15 minutes rather than the parenting slot!
    The same 'extreme' reaction happens me when Tom Dunne comes on at 10am or John Murray at 9am.
    I have more but I'll save them rather than write an essay here.

So what makes you change the station most be it ads, presenters or segments of a show?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Odd one it quiz, I listen to and enjoy the Darcy show but the odd one out quiz, 3 times a show? Painful ****e!

First time I have heard "funny" Friday on liveline was an OB at the plough match yesterday. I could never really understand why I don't listen to RTÉ Radio, I try to give everyone a chance! I think it's the salaries, Joe Duffy sympathising with a woman on Wednesday who was having financial trouble with her sons headstone. Joe Duffy is on €408,000 a year, his disingenuous concern makes me turn over.

The Solheim cup ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

:mad:
    The same 'extreme' reaction happens me when Tom Dunne comes on at 10am or John Murray at 9am.

So what makes you change the station most be it ads, presenters or segments of a show?

With you on those two as said on another thread when I know Eanna will be on Mooney I switch, I'm getting that way with Brenda too.:mad:

If I know Aine Lawlor will be on Morning Ireland I would prefer white noise.:mad:

Jackie Hurley is in that bracket.:mad:

Must start a thread on voices we like.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

AHHHHHHH.

A new one has developed this morning -on the upside it will only be for the coming weekend. Newstalk seem to be involved with the Solheim cup. In depth descriptions of how the morning fourballs, etc etc. Seriously why? I have nothing against womens golf but it is just not of any interest.
    So- an update report to the Solheim cup = a change of the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Those Meteor say Hi phone to your new iPhone ads

I would murder the person who came up with that slogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Damn near done physical injury to myself in my mad panic induced rush to change stations when The Angelus comes on. It's 2011 and RTE still feel the need to bang loud bells for a full minute to the whole nation... well the part that is still listening :-)
    A chunk of this country is still firmly stuck in the past!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Generally when Michael Graham comes on Newstalk. With his terms like Euro Weenies and his right wing support I just switch over to RTE instinctively when his voice comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Damn near done physical injury to myself in my mad panic induced rush to change stations when The Angelus comes on. It's 2011 and RTE still feel the need to bang loud bells for a full minute to the whole nation... well the part that is still listening :-)
    A chunk of this country is still firmly stuck in the past!

Good one- I do the very same. changing station when the bells ring makes me feel like my protest will be heard and they will end that tripe. The moments of reflection as portrayed on TV before the six o clock news are hilarious. I sometimes let the bells ring to see what kind of relection moment my dogs have.

I also turn when Mikey Graham is on newstalk like mick says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

when the 'tune that name' bit on tubridy came on. (I dont listen to him anymore at all though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

the fcuking angelus...how is that still on the radio?
    i have to switch it off evrytime..reminds me of raped children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, the Solheim Cup does it for me. Its featuring far too much, but at least it will soon be over.

Also those Vodafone, "its where I ..." ads. How bad are they.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mooney.

Most ad breaks (regardless of station)

Funny Friday (the odd time I get caught out unawares)

EEEmma Mocknamara on MI, although oddly enough since the financial crash she's reverted to Emma, but I still can't listen to her.

Most of the sports hacks, Jacqui Hurley... the TodayFM guy with the fake accent, oh and that Lyon's fella on 98fm.

AA ridewatch - sitebound on the aitebound rindeabout...but not while driving.

When some of the regular contributors on The Last Word come on, particularly the "journos" Cooper has on on a friday. A combination of accents and attitudes.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I turned off the TV & the Radio years ago and was surprised that i don't miss them at all.On for the News then off immediately.Threw the TVs out too.'get enough nonsense on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Mostly ads...esp Eircom phonewatch and the booorglars.
    Gerry Odoms
    Oim Moichael Mc Mullen
    Mary Wilson..esp reading out listeners witless texts "Why can't rich people give money to the poor people then there wouldn't be any more poverty".

That bloody ad about the Crean play ("And then I heard an officer say something I haven't hear ahhhh NO!)

Sorry I have to stop now.Getting too overwrought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Solheim Cup is over, hooray.

So now just have to listen to reports on it for maybe tonight and tomorrow, and we will not hear about it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh yeah and I completely forgot about Marie Louise O'Donnell on Kenny.
    She manages to make topics I might be interested in hearing about unbearable and is literally a turn off.

IT'S A SAVE!
    AND ANOTHER SAVE

Your Credit Union ad.

That drives me to reach for the off button.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

...Amanda Brunker. A relic from a bygone age. And like all relics, should be locked in storage and not exposed to the dangers of oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

OK so extreme may be an exageration- what I really mean is those parts of radio that make you stop what you are doing in a hurry and rush to change the station so you don't have to listen to another second of whatever it is.

I thought of this the other day when the parenting slot came on on Newstalk Moncrieff show. I detest its tripeness and turned the station. I was in my work van which has bad reception and I listened to a fuzzy noise for 15 minutes rather than the parenting slot!

the money doctor john lowe on newstalk , guy is an establishment shill and an uncle tom of the highest order , today he more or less scolded a texter who questioned the wisdom of buying a house ( in a falling market ) despite him having the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

The gardener Gerry Daly has a slot on Lyric around 8:45 on Saturday mornings. If you feel the need to go back to sleep, tune in. The man has a voice for newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the money doctor john lowe on newstalk , guy is an establishment shill and an uncle tom of the highest order , today he more or less scolded a texter who questioned the wisdom of buying a house ( in a falling market ) despite him having the money

Yep I heard that,he more or less called the texter greedy! He is a shill and a big fan of Bertie though he'd deny that now. If he took any of his own advice over the years then he's up to his neck in debt.

• Advertisement

Yep I heard that,he more or less called the texter greedy! He is a shill and a big fan of Bertie though he'd deny that now. If he took any of his own advice over the years then he's up to his neck in debt.

didnt know he was a bertie fan , often wondered is he on the goverment payroll , is always quick to quell any fears about a euro breakup and pours water on the idea of putting money into the likes of gold etc , nothing to see hear is lowes response to the global rescession - depression , as i said , an uncle tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Have people listened to Marty Whelan on RTe Lyric FM on weekday mornings, from 7 am until 10 am?

This is striking radio, with a mellifluously voiced star, alert & witty repartee with listeners and with his colleagues from the AA and a fine choice of music. I have heard of people running from the cars into their offices, in order to minimise missing any part of the programme. As we flee these days from Scary Radio One, we have the welcoming and comforting arms of RTE Lyric FM, enveloping us in soothing and relaxing music, teeing us up nicely for the day ahead.

A large and growing listenership has found inner peace and, as it were, found their own Shangri La in Limerick FM.

Do try! Have an extremely positive reaction, like tens of thousands of others!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

its funny that this thread is here because i was only having a rage moment in the car this morning thinking of the ridiculousness(is that a word) of the competition thay have on 4 fm. 'hitbit' i think its called. they play one note, ONE note of a song and we're supposed to guess what song it it. its not a couple of notes or a good snippet of the song. one note!! sure that could be any song. people just ring in and say any song thay can think off. then the radio station start giving out clues cos no one is getting it. its really really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Cian Murtaghs unscripted exchanges with George Hook...or anyone else. Excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mary McEvoy (Biddy from Glenroe) frequently has an Agony Aunt slot on the Tom Dunne show.
    Due to a lack of people ringing in for advice it usually ends up with her recounting her battle with depression for the 100th time. Painful to listen to, I reach for the dial as soon as her name is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Cant stand the Smart Business Tips the 8am news on NewsTalk. Wrecks my head. Have started switching to Phantom when I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

any time dave fanning is on the radio.

the sound of him makes me want to choke the life out of him with my bare hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The Ronan Collins signature tune... already lost two radio cos of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Ronan Collins signature tune... already lost two radio cos of that...
    Why do so many people hate Ronan??
    Hope you have noticed that they have shortened it in recent months. Has this given you any comfort?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Why do so many people hate Ronan??
    Hope you have noticed that they have shortened it in recent months. Has this given you any comfort?

Ronan is doing amazing work now on radio, and also in his simply stunning Joe Dolan Show. I received a communication emanating from Wexford Opera House, announcing that Ronan was doing Joe there later in November. I think that when the most prestigious venue in the land is advertising a singer, the singer has become a star.

I believe that he is more Joe than Joe Dolan himself ever way. It's been a while since I saw Joe live, obviously, (in Dunboyne, the last time), but it will be quite nostalgic and possibly even emotional to relive that we all thought was gone from us forever.

I think the show might make a good TV Christmas Special, in fact, and I hope there's time to do it.

Hugo Brady Brown

Mary McEvoy (Biddy from Glenroe) frequently has an Agony Aunt slot on the Tom Dunne show.
    Due to a lack of people ringing in for advice it usually ends up with her recounting her battle with depression for the 100th time. Painful to listen to, I reach for the dial as soon as her name is mentioned.

heard it for the 1st and last time yesterday or which ever day it was on , that show is death from start to finish , the CIA should kidnapp dunne and transfer him to guantanamo , listening to his vacous gibberish for three hours would have all those terror suspects singing like a bird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ronan is doing amazing work now on radio, and also in his simply stunning Joe Dolan Show. I received a communication emanating from Wexford Opera House, announcing that Ronan was doing Joe there later in November. I think that when the most prestigious venue in the land is advertising a singer, the singer has become a star.

I believe that he is more Joe than Joe Dolan himself ever way. It's been a while since I saw Joe live, obviously, (in Dunboyne, the last time), but it will be quite nostalgic and possibly even emotional to relive that we all thought was gone from us forever.

I think the show might make a good TV Christmas Special, in fact, and I hope there's time to do it.

Hugo Brady Brown
    Good man hugo!
    I am sure you recall that the powers that be in Montrose deemed Joe worthy of ringing in the new century.
    Therefore your call for some sort of tribute over christmas to mark his anniversary should be listened to.
    May I ask if you are familiar with his version of O Holy Night? If not be sure to tune into Ronan from December 8 onwards, he plays a different version every day and has included Joe's version in recent years.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Good man hugo!
    I am sure you recall that the powers that be in Montrose deemed Joe worthy of ringing in the new century.
    Therefore your call for some sort of tribute over christmas to mark his anniversary should be listened to.
    May I ask if you are familiar with his version of O Holy Night? If not be sure to tune into Ronan from December 8 onwards, he plays a different version every day and has included Joe's version in recent years.

Thanks for the "heads up" on that, as they say on the Internet! I fear that I may be on duty at times, but maybe it will be possible to listen back on the Player. (I believe that it's possible also to listen back to Marty in the Morning, from RTE Lyric FM - weekdays from 7 to 10 am - but I haven't cracked that one yet on the iMac. I hear it's there somewhere on the site, as, indeed, is Sunday with Gay. Super stuff live, anyway!)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Okay, I can forgive your self indulgent triple signature on every post.. and I can forgive your bible length posts, which have me nodding off before I've even reached the New Testament... But this is unforgivable:
    Ronan is doing amazing work now on radio, and also in his simply stunning Joe Dolan Show.

Amazing work on radio???? He presses a button on the iPod and says "happy birthday to Mary who was 50 on Sunday, from Tommy and all the gang in Terminfeckin".. that is the sumtotal of his talent.. I heard the ad for The Joe Dolan Show on Radio One, and believe me... he's no Joe Dolan.. meant to be a good enough drummer, but he is certainly NOT a good Joe Dolan impersonator..

Okay, I can forgive your self indulgent triple signature on every post.. and I can forgive your bible length posts, which have me nodding off before I've even reached the New Testament... But this is unforgivable:

Amazing work on radio???? He presses a button on the iPod and says "happy birthday to Mary who was 50 on Sunday, from Tommy and all the gang in Terminfeckin".. that is the sumtotal of his talent.. I heard the ad for The Joe Dolan Show on Radio One, and believe me... he's no Joe Dolan.. meant to be a good enough drummer, but he is certainly NOT a good Joe Dolan impersonator..

I would have thought my posts were crisp and to the point and, indeed, that they might have been criticized for bring too compressed, or for being unduly laconic.

I think Ronan's programme, which I cannot listen to as often as I would wish - in part because I am addicted to Liz on RTE Lyric FM at the same time - serves a very useful function in binding together a fractured society into a community of listeners, into a form of audio family. The requests give a sense of life and liveliness to the programming, and takes it away from what it could be, a mindless sequence of one track after another.

The wit and wisdom come free with the package, I suppose, and the listenership figures speak for themselves.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

. ....i switched off both tv and radio to see how i'd cope without them.I was surprised to realise i can do without them both.Permanently.Threw the TV out and the radio is on for the news only unless something like an election or other it is rarely on BUT i do spend a lot of time on the net.I will deal with that too.More wishin' than hopin' atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ronan is doing amazing work now on radio ...

I believe that he is more Joe than Joe Dolan himself ever way.

Hugo Brady Brown

Hard to know where to begin with that post. So all those years Joe Dolan was toiling away, Ronan Collins would have made a better Joe Dolan than Joe himself? :rolleyes:

Joe Dolan was a great entertainer, Ronan Collins is not. He is a mediocre singer trying to cash in on the public's memories of his 'friend'

During the recent RTE 'Big Music Week' Ronan Collins had a special live show with various singers performing with the RTE Concert Orchestra. Some of these were very enjoyable. But then Ronan Collins himself sang a Joe Dolan song (badly) and shamelessly plugged his upcoming gigs. Not for charity, just for himself. Such an indulgent and inappropriate action by a Presenter, hijacking a programme to get free advertising for his extra curricular activities.

And the Ronan Collins Show is lazy, boring and uninspiring. Cathal Murray would be a far superior full time host in that slot.

Advertisement