Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance inconsistancies

• 22-09-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

This is a bit of a rant.....
    I have a 1992 camper, purpose built by reputable company. (Still in business and building exactly the same van today) The insurance company will not accept the Doe test cert (which I have) in Ireland. If I had insured it when it was on English plates (before importing) they would have accepted the mot. Now its on Irish plates I have to get an engineers report.

Crazy or what!!!!!!!!

This particular insurance company insure both north and south. In the north they accept an mot.

Surely a current Doe test is as good as an engineers report considering its less than two days old.

I will have to head back to the same garage where I doe'ed the camper and get an engineers report.

Okay rant over, thanks for listening guys/gals......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

The key word here is IRELAND,

Everything here is the same when it comes to Goverment Departments and all
    there red tape bull,thats why we are in the mess were in,because of these muppets, rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

elaverty wrote: »
    Everything here is the same when it comes to Goverment Departments and all
    there red tape bull,thats why we are in the mess were in,because of these muppets, rant over
    What has a private insurance companies (afaik) self imposed regulations got to do with Government red tape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

It's possible that your insurance company will not accept a DoE cert because as things stand here at the moment there is no DoE test specific for motor caravans (it's coming sometime in the near future, we are told) what is currently used is the manual for commercial vehicles (vans, trucks etc).

On the other hand an engineers report may report on a motor caravan may report on things motor caravan specific not included in the LGV or HGV DoE test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The engineers report also includes a check the that the gas is properly installed, they look at the cylinder and see it's strapped in and a shot hose... nothing heavy. That's not in the DOE, it also proof it's a camper where as you could DOE the van, the convert it badly and show them the cert. Sorry but you need the reprot it's not unfair.

at the time I was doing it I got my engineer's report from the M50 truck centre which is 20 mins from dolmen. They said it was pretty much the same test as the doe but on a different form that dolmen sent me. Perhaps your doe center will transcribe the report for minimal charge if you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Alanv420

The engineers report also includes a check the that the gas is properly installed, they look at the cylinder and see it's strapped in and a shot hose... nothing heavy. That's not in the DOE, it also proof it's a camper where as you could DOE the van, the convert it badly and show them the cert. Sorry but you need the reprot it's not unfair.

If this is the case why do they accept a DOE test on a vehicle younger than 15yrs old. Also, why will they accept an MOT in northern Ireland or for that matter an MOT from England. I understand the concerns about a conversion But my camper has been a camper all its life, that's nearly 20 years, built by a professional campervan company with a very reputable name.

All things considered this is pushing paper for the sake of pushing paper.

As suggested I will go back to the garage I got the DOE from and get them to fill out said Engineers report. Hopefully for a small(ish) fee.

Advertisement