Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help:Can my homemade soup be saved?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

first time to make soup from scratch-vegetables.stock,etc
    have followed the receipe step by step

soup in saucepan now is cooked but still seems to have lot of liquid in it still that the vegetables are floating around it
    • when i put this through a blender will that thicken it up and the liquid will go away
    or
    • has it not worked out and im better off opening a can of soup :-)
    or
    • is there anything i can do to thicken it up before blending it - would flour help
    or
    • if when i blend it its still liquidy and runny and looks like a broth more than a soup, can i do anything then to thicken it up
    Would be a shame to have to bin it after all the hard work and the cost

Suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Once the veg are blended, it will have a thicker consistency. If not, it can be thickened with cornflour, though I'd be more inclined to throw in a few root veg (such as potato or parsnip) to bulk it out, or even some lentils. Sometimes a broth-type soup with well-cooked veg can be just as nice. Out of interest, what kind of soup are ya doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What I do is soften the veg in the "stock" then scoop it out and blend it then return to the stock, to thicken it up add full fat milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Whatever you do do not bin it. I would do as the previous poster said and throw a few sliced spuds into the pot and let them cook off a bit. That will thicken it up nicely. Corn flour is good as well but if you add too much it might over-thicken. Whisk the cornflour/flour in a small glass of water before adding to the soup to prevent it going lumpy if you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CheekyChops

Thanks All for the replies

Have lentils, so should i blend it first and then add the lentils and cook again - and if so for how long
    or
    should i return to the heat and add the lentils and cook - again for how long? - and then blend it

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Let the lentils cook with the rest of your veg until they're soft (they'll look like they're falling apart) and then blend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks All for the replies

Have lentils, so should i blend it first and then add the lentils and cook again - and if so for how long
    or
    should i return to the heat and add the lentils and cook - again for how long? - and then blend it

Thanks

Are they the small dried red lentils? If so, wash them under cold water, then add them to the soup to simmer for 20 mins, then blend.
    Hope it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you don't want to be adding things to the recipe then you could also strain the soup into a colander and then return the liquid to the heat to reduce it and then add everything back.

BUT, having said that, cooking is all about experimentation imho. i'm always adding stuff and messing with everything i cook to try and improve the flavour. it doesn't always work and sometimes it doesn't work when it should and does work when it shouldn't, but you'll keep learning and creating things and your cooking will be all the better for it. :)

i don't actually remember the last time i followed one recipe to cook something. if i'm cooking something new, i usually look up half a dozen recipes online and then take what i've learnt from those and make it all up as i go along and most of the time it works out just fine and when it doesn't, i learn from my mistakes and try not to repeat them.

so experiment and enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

You can also try removing half the veg (or more/less) and blending the rest, then put back the veg you took out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

some boiled rice will give it some consistency, it is neutral in flavour so wont effect the taste, i would blend it first and see how it is, if its to weak then blend some cooked rice into, little bit at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

strain out half the liquid, blend what's left, now if it's too thick start re-adding some of the strained liquid until you've the right consistency. Any liquid left over can be frozen to use as stock for the next batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

f9710145 wrote: »
    strain out half the liquid, blend what's left, now if it's too thick start re-adding some of the strained liquid until you've the right consistency. Any liquid left over can be frozen to use as stock for the next batch.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CheekyChops

Thanks all for the replies and great suggestions and help

I did what last 2 posters suggested in strained out half the liquid, blended what's left and it looks good

Many thanks

Looking forward to tucking into it now

Thanks again

Advertisement