Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

signs erected

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

after a year of harassing wi officials to erect signs on particular canal stretches, finally the signs have been erected. constant phone calls resulted in a promise last march, which didnt happen. more calls and the book being passed to ifi and back to wi. i decided to email a certain official in wi with every poaching incident, every couple of days or weekly depending on incidents, for the last few months, pointing out in detail where i wanted new signs every time. the reason for email was that i was keeping a record of every correspondence between myself and wi and informed wi i was doing so, and that i would not answer phone calls, everything recorded in writing. i outlined specifically where signs where needed and why. out of the 7 sites i recommended, 4 out of 5 have been erected, with 2 ive not been able to view yet but will tomorrow. on 1 site ill be harrassing the local council to erect an anti dumping litter sign, it was recommended by the local litter warden after a few calls but still no sign, but ill have that erected in time damn straight. goes to show that constant pressure works. no point moaning n groaning no-one gives a toss, us anglers need to get off our ass and fight for our local waters and not take a no or maybe as an answer, stick to your guns and keep at them. im not on the board of any angling fed etc, just a plain ol angler who gives a sh1t. if you want something done, fight for it til its done. it wont stop poaching fully but now i can point the signs out to the problem people and tell them that i wont tolerate any bullsh1t.....
    mms_img43117.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You sound angry but fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Fair Play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

delsalmon wrote: »
    i decided to email a certain official in wi with every poaching incident, every couple of days or weekly depending on incidents

Well done on your persistence!
    Might I ask as to what area of the canal you are referring to, and indeed which canal?
    What are the local IFI officers doing about these incidents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Bizzum wrote: »
    Well done on your persistence!
    Might I ask as to what area of the canal you are referring to, and indeed which canal?
    What are the local IFI officers doing about these incidents?

...sweet **** all, furthermore signs are pointless :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

surripere wrote: »
    furthermore signs are pointless :rolleyes:

It depends, its not going to stop "real" poachers that use nets and night lines. However it may stop "accidental" poachers. I started coarse fishing in 2000, since then the regualtion have changed a lot for pike fishing, however the only reason I know this is because I visit a lot of fishing web sites. Most of the people that fish my local river, the suck, dont know the regualtions (id say 95% dont know you need a licence to fish it). Its impossible to enforce the rules if nobody knows them. Also, I could be wrong on this, but if there are signs up, and a poacher is cought, surely they dont have a leg to stand on if brought to court?

Weather signs reduce the amount of poaching is debatable, but its a step in the right direction.

surripere wrote: »
    ...sweet **** all, furthermore signs are pointless :rolleyes:

What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

@bizzum, barrowline branch mate, dont want to name exact location.
    @surripere, i know it wont stop the netters who specifically go out knowing they're breaking the law, but for the likes of the people im constantly telling that the canals are catch n release, and are taking tench and bream and 20 roach at a time, when im not around, maybe they'll think twice, if they know that they will be prosecuted if caught, which is better than me sitting on my hands doing nothing moaning that ifi dont do enough patrols. im still waiting on my ifi approval for local volunteer waterkeeper. if more lads were more proactive in protecting their local waters it would be a step in the right direction.

delsalmon wrote: »
    @bizzum, barrowline branch mate, dont want to name exact location.

Thanks for that.
    I am familiar with a fair chunk of both the Grand and Royal Canals, and those very signs are up several years now.
    Minus the horse bit though! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It is a good job Del.
    Thanks for putting in the effort on all our behalfs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

well done

Advertisement