Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paneer cheese

Options
  • 23-09-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me where I might get it? I'd like to try a Jamie Oliver recipe. Anywhere in Dublin or Louth would be great.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

It's actually very easy to make it if you have the gumption - plus it's very very cheap.

Put a litre of full fat milk in a saucepan and bring it to just below boiling point. Add in one or two tablespoons of lemon juice (any acid will work but lemon juice is the nicest) and stir gently until the milk curdles and separates into curds and whey.

Line a sieve with some cheesecloth or muslin (a nice porous material) and pour the mixture in. Leave to cool for a bit before gathering up the edges of the cloth and squeezing all the excess moisture out of the curds. Wrap it up tightly and place it on a place under a heavy book or weight to get the rest of the water out. Leave for 2 hours or so and hey presto - block of paneer! Keep it immersed in water in a tub in the fridge and it's good for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Susie_Q wrote: »
    It's actually very easy to make it if you have the gumption - plus it's very very cheap.

Put a litre of full fat milk in a saucepan and bring it to just below boiling point. Add in one or two tablespoons of lemon juice (any acid will work but lemon juice is the nicest) and stir gently until the milk curdles and separates into curds and whey.

Line a sieve with some cheesecloth or muslin (a nice porous material) and pour the mixture in. Leave to cool for a bit before gathering up the edges of the cloth and squeezing all the excess moisture out of the curds. Wrap it up tightly and place it on a place under a heavy book or weight to get the rest of the water out. Leave for 2 hours or so and hey presto - block of paneer! Keep it immersed in water in a tub in the fridge and it's good for a week.

Sounds easy, I will try this. Thank you.

If I make a dogs dinner of it though where can it be purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

gebbel wrote: »
    Sounds easy, I will try this. Thank you.

If I make a dogs dinner of it though where can it be purchased?

go to any of the myraid Indian/pakistani food shops and they should have it..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

theres a lady in the temple bar saturday market who sells her own palek paneer... it is the best ive ever had!!!

she gave me her recipe (after i bought a portion or 5) its perfect everytime

Advertisement