Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drawing the dole

• 23-09-2011 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi everyone, i finished college over a year ago and have been unable to get a proper job as it was in construction, but a neighbour took me on labouring for the last 11 months paying me in cash but now all the work has dried up so i need to start drawing the dole as i cant get any other work and any savings i've had have been spent in the last month of unemployment, my problem is what do i tell welfare i've been doing for the last year?
    most of the summer jobs i've had while in school college have been for cash aswell so its been around 2007 since i paid tax, if i say i was gone travelling for the last few months have they anyway of proving i wasnt? or what should i tell them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to state benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If you tell them you were gone travelling, they could ask for proof of flights - it will be tied in with the habitual residence condition.
    You tell them what you have been doing - simple as.
    You won't be the first, and you definitely won't be the last - they have come across many others in the same situation as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree, with above, what ever you tell them they will ask for proof. As long as you didnt avail of any benefits while working off the books, you may be OK.

Any employer knows when they pay someone cash in hand that there is a chance the SW and the Taxman will catch up with the,.

The main problem now is, you have no PRSI contributions so you will be means tested, are you living at home?
    What age are you?
    Your payment could be as low as €23 per week if living at home and under 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

needsajob wrote: »
    hi everyone, i finished college over a year ago and have been unable to get a proper job as it was in construction, but a neighbour took me on labouring for the last 11 months paying me in cash but now all the work has dried up so i need to start drawing the dole as i cant get any other work and any savings i've had have been spent in the last month of unemployment, my problem is what do i tell welfare i've been doing for the last year?
    most of the summer jobs i've had while in school college have been for cash aswell so its been around 2007 since i paid tax, if i say i was gone travelling for the last few months have they anyway of proving i wasnt? or what should i tell them

needsajob, what happened in the end? What happened to your neighbour?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement