Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice..

Options
  • 23-09-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Ok for the last few months i have been working on a pet niche item website

My main keyword: It has now entered the top 100 and climbing strong.. Im not going to mention the keyword for obvious reasons. I have managed to attain 3 top 10 other keywords and and maybe 5 on bing yahoo.. Approx 20 in the top 50 and still bouncin like a football in an upwardly direction..
    The reason for for this is pretty much pure financial only, i hold no allegiance to this product or passion for it but the addwords value alone per month is approximately $50,000 in us alone and it is available in every european country including ireland uk etc.

So obviously even for an adsense website it has serious potential but the product is psychical. Its really something you buy to use so the affilate sales of this product would indeed obviously be a lot lot higher. I could psychially import and resell but thats a bag of worms i,d rather not or ever handle.. Affilate im ok with..

My question is this -

Im now in a dilema that i need a seriously professional website that i need to push this forward as my impressions are on the up and up..

Should i pay really for a new fresh web 2.0 site with all the bells and whistles (im a student with very little cash right now) or perhaps give equity in the website.. (im not even sure how much) 10% ? 20% 30%

Any ideas to anyone that has been here, done that ?

Thanks to any and all who comment

Appy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hi

I'm completely lost after reading your post three times - what is your product? Are you a reseller? What are you hoping to do with it (the product and site)? What does 'addwords value alone per month is approximately $50,000 in us alone ' mean? What are you asking?

[Quizzical-Dog.jpg]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well ok .. Just to clarify Im not telling you my product but just to say its in the pet niche area.. So that general field.

Yes i am a reseller, I have amazon affiliate and i have prosperent as affliate sales of the actual product from different manufacturers around the globe. Predomintly it was geared towards the US market, as the site progressed i have now a top 5 spot for canada if you type in that keyword.. I will soon progress onto the uk and the irish market which is pretty easy competition.
    The addwords value means that a NO1 spot on the usa market for any website judging by the addwords value "SPENT" would give the company "my website" an approximate $50,000 or there abouts in Adsense revenue..
    Meaning if my site had adsense on it ONLY, it would generate about 50k per month in clicks alone.

What im asking is basically :
    Should i foot the bill for a brand new website revamp which could literally cost me 1000s OR should i give an equity stake in this venture to a webdesigner to take it on (him do the design work and me keep doing the seo)

I hope this clears it up.

Oh also im hoping to make some money from the site if that was clear also..

$$$

Well ok .. Just to clarify Im not telling you my product but just to say its in the pet niche area.. So that general field.

Yes i am a reseller, I have amazon affiliate and i have prosperent as affliate sales of the actual product from different manufacturers around the globe. Predomintly it was geared towards the US market, as the site progressed i have now a top 5 spot for canada if you type in that keyword.. I will soon progress onto the uk and the irish market which is pretty easy competition.
    The addwords value means that a NO1 spot on the usa market for any website judging by the addwords value "SPENT" would give the company "my website" an approximate $50,000 or there abouts in Adsense revenue..
    Meaning if my site had adsense on it ONLY, it would generate about 50k per month in clicks alone.

What im asking is basically :
    Should i foot the bill for a brand new website revamp which could literally cost me 1000s OR should i give an equity stake in this venture to a webdesigner to take it on (him do the design work and me keep doing the seo)

I hope this clears it up.

Where did you get that $50k figure from?

What income is your reseller account bringing in?

Based upon my own AdSense income I estimate you'd need 18,459,720 page views per month to bring in $50k (I don't, for one second, imagine that figure would be the same for every website, but it's a good starting point), what sort of traffic are you currently getting?

Your figures seem completely unrealistic - first thing I'd do if I was you would be to take a long, hard, look at them before invseting any money.

That figure is from spyfu on adwords money spent on that keyword .. So $50k for that keyword alone was spent on that keyword.. There are over 35 targetable buying keywords of similar nature, although some only in the region of $5k or upwards. Its a pretty accurate tool.
    I have also researched these on market samurai and have given "similar" figures.

So a quick guestimate the product is sold quite frankly everywhere, 50+ countries best guess figures are close to 200 million world wide sales. Uk sales are an approximation of 2-3 million as of 2010 figures. Irish market although good is not measurable. Lets say 50,000 euros for ****s and giggles.
    The canadian market is obviously a lot larger but no concrete data.. Lets say 3 million for ****s and giggles.

Ive taken a long hard look and the figures are there.. Theres people spending 50,000 a month on adsense and so an adsense provider somewhere is taking home that 50,000.. And making a "random assumption" that i might get a slice of that pie along with my other odd 30 keywords that i could "potentially have a market share of 50k" per month
    Its clearly larger than that but variables are everything.

Your page views are way off.. According to Last months August Adsense earnings on my account it would be 5,000,000 pageviews and not the 18 million you suggested.. Or perhaps maybe u again made an error with the currency conversion. $50k usa is approx on todays markets is worth €37,000 ..

Pageviews per month are sub 50k which yes are quite laughable so far but obviously knowing more than the average joe im sure your fully away market share for a keyword over the top 5 keywords are approximatly 2.97% and falling from 6th place.. So i think im in a very good position to judge how accurate my data is.

Any other questions cormee ?

• Advertisement

OK, you seem confused - in your post from 12.49 you say "Meaning if my site had adsense on it ONLY, it would generate about 50k per month in clicks alone.", then in your last post you're saying "$50k for that keyword alone was spent on that keyword".

These are two utterly different things, one relates to income from AdSense and one relates to spend on Adwords.

Do you understand the difference between Adwords and AdSense?

In the fourth paragraph of your last posting you say "According to Last months August Adsense earnings on my account it would be 5,000,000 (required to bring in $50k in Adsense earnings) and not the 18 million you suggested...[snip]...Pageviews per month are sub 50k", yet in your first post you said "Meaning if my site had adsense on it ONLY, it would generate about 50k per month in clicks alone."

Do you see the problem there? You don't seem to have a handle on what's going on with your site. As I said above, I'd sort out all of those issues before investing any money in the site if I was you.

Anyway, you seem to be getting quite defensive so this is my last post.

Yes im aware of the two and if u read the post it was a generalization on what revenue could be earned. SPent and recieved .. we can split hairs i,ll even state i was wrong for stating it.
    I did mean as a whole, Cost per click = $1 x 50k = approximately $50k so depsite what the adwords spent for other competitors the revenue is there for the taking.

You made an assumption that the site now had adsense on it.. it doesnt. It has affilate sales of amazon and prosperant.. Prosperant is poor because of overpriced retailers there..
    I also think your of the offense because read my post 3 times and couldnt figure out what i was trying to do despite being knowledable about the area, i wonder is it because you disaagreed with another post of mine perhaps ?

You seem to have an axe to grind for some reason or another, To clarify in case i did not explain it clearly..

According to last months adsense earnings on my account (i never stated that it was my pet niche item) which was a generalisation of why my % and cpc was just like your generalistation of 18 million pageviews.

Yes my pageviews are sub 50k,.. (its not adsense therefore not applicable to this)

Yes if this site was in a no1 postion it would generate in excess of 50k.. many keywords in case i suggested that it was alone the single keyword. It would be unwise to suggest i could grab every click ..

"addwords value alone per month is approximately $50,000 in us alone and it is available in every european country including ireland uk etc."
    ^^ again to help you out another typo

Adsense value alone is what i meant to write.

Ive wasted my time clearly posting this to death because i have not gotten one good suggestion, only someones opinion whether the research was done correctly, whats wrong with it and what i have wrote although some of wrong i admit.

You have harped on about a question that i never asked..

You have sucked the life out of me on this subject and i would like it closed please moderators..

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hey there,you say your a student,why dont you advertise in your college for the student hotshot webdesigners/it people and pay one or a few of them design your site.I'm sure they would be glad of the expierience/cash and your overheads wouldn't be too high.You never know you might come across a seriously talented designer.Just a thought like:p:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

"You have sucked the life out of me on this subject"
    You asked firstly for advice
    You wrote confusing posts (Very confusing)
    You sucked the like out of cormee and he left!

Nobody to get angry with bar yourself

IRE60 wrote: »
    "You have sucked the life out of me on this subject"
    You asked firstly for advice
    You wrote confusing posts (Very confusing)
    You sucked the like out of cormee and he left!

Nobody to get angry with bar yourself

Yes your 100% right !

Please close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

The Apprentice, did you consider going the wordpress (and nice template) way?
    Paid themes are quite affordable nowadays.

Yes i did try my hand at it already but the quality just isnt in it.. I really do suck at design or doing the layout of a site that isnt already in front of me.
    Im creative in lots of other ways but not websites for some strange reason. I have all the woo themes and elegant themes and i have about 20 odd of the good studiopress themes.. Nothing i have seen so far has given me a vision or a direction i should lead a designer to do..

www.tdknews.com i did already but its a news site.. cant really get any simpler but still has a few flaws.. im not even pushed working that any more i might flog it on flippa

The site i would like to have the basic package of the range of items .. fresh hi res images with a little clickthrough iframe to amazon etc.. thats way outside what i could do with wordpress, probably a graphic designer - photoshop would be the job

Thanks for that .. Anything particular in mind V ??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

The Apprentice, tdknews.com looks clean and really good for it's niche. Could do something better around the footer but rest is ok.
    Do you have any specific layout or sample sites from any niche in mind? By the way there are forums.digitalpoint.com. There's a competition board for designers. You could get logo/elements/whatever for peanuts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Plenty of wordpress plugins to link in with amazon. Plenty of joomla ones as well ( I think joomla might be the way forward for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

Hello, I got to say you would be shocked if you knew how many times a web designer/developer is approached with an equity offer. Why everyone thinks designers are mini VC partners I don't know. To get a good web designer who understand ecommerce and UI & UX design is going to cost you - simple. I once spend 3 hours speaking to someone about their web design project (after giving them costs) only to be offered an equity stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

Magento is always an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaulMas

No quality in wordpress, You're kidding. I know i'm not meant to promote my own website.

PM me and I will send a quality link... :D

Advertisement