Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evening Herald Sellers Being Exploted

• 23-09-2011 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My friend sold the Evening Herald on the street when he first came to Ireland on his 1 year student visa from Brazil.

I would have assumed that these sellers were receiving minimum wage, but apparently all they get is commission - 60 cent per paper sold.

My friend earned like 2 or 3 euro per hour the couple of days he did it.

He says that the majority of the people who sell them just try it for a week or so when they first arrive and are looking for other jobs.

Also in Brazil 2 or 3 euros per hour would not be so terrible, so he didn't really feel that bad about it, even when he did later find out about the minimum wage.

I however think that it is wrong to treat people like this, especially when they are guests in our country. He says that he knows other people who were given bad spots and ended up making even less money than he did. The good spots where it is possible to make decent money are taken by more long term sellers. Even these good spots might only make 4 or 5 euros per hour all the same.

To add insult to injury he says that the supervisors were pig ignorant.

I would love to know what you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

If only to be the exploiter and not the exploited.

Wouldn't life be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I read the title as being 'exploded'.

Kaboom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose for that type job commission is the best way to pay, unless you want the sellers just standing around not making an effort (council worker style).

When was this? Last month, last year, 4 years ago?
    Student visa eh?
    If you sell 30-40 papers during morning rush, that's a bit of money.
    How much does the paper even cost to buy on the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

They should feel lucky to have a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I just buy the paper in a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Commission is quite popular. Its a win win if your clever.

Your friend needs to do some leg work and find a spot where more papers sell. If it were me i would be moving around all the time looking for better spots.

If you are given a spot then really its your choice. You are only being exploited if your forced. Bear in mind papers are not selling as much and the Herald is a rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

squitely wrote: »

A pig ignorant supervisor!! :eek: Well I never heard the like, how unusual for a supervisor to be ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

they wud be better off whoring themselves tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Holy jaysus, this is terrible! Just terrible! What do they think they are doing? I can't believe that these people are getting 60c for each paper for all their hours working. These employers need a wake up call!

I mean.......... if they were clever they'd have hired people to work for free through the Jobbridge Internship Scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Moral of the story is stop buying ''de hedild'' off these people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Much the same as every business in Ireland so
    Well at least the several I've worked in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

all they get is commission - 60 cent per paper sold.

My friend earned like 2 or 3 euro per hour the couple of days he did it.

Selling around three papers an hour? Hardly deserving of world class pay in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

mikemac wrote: »
    Much the same as every business in Ireland so
    Well at least the several I've worked in

Anytime I see people complain about their supervisors I think of the attached....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 squitely

You don't get to choose your spot. You can't move around.

Nobody sells 30 or 40 papers in the rush, The rush might be 10 papers, the rest of the time you sell maybe 3 per hour.

The Evening Herald don't just use the sellers to sell papers, they also function as walking billboards.

It doesn't matter if you are choosing to work there because there is nothing else available. It's still not right or fair for anyone to work for that amount.

I'm surprised at the cavalier response here to people earning 2 euro per hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If he was here on a student visa then he's not entitled to work...no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Truth be known alot of people who do this are also on the social welfare. So while it may be seen as "low paying" its still tax free and on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

If they come here and get a job they aren't guests in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

CJC999 wrote: »
    If he was here on a student visa then he's not entitled to work...no?

They're allowed work 20 hours a week on a student visa I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

What's with these people selling the Evening Herald at 11.30 in the morning.? does that not make it the Morning Herald..?..and then theres folk who try and give me Metro every morning too....wtf am I gonna do with a train ? and I always thought a Brazilian was a job done on a ladygarden :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

mattjack wrote: »
    What's with these people selling the Evening Herald at 11.30 in the morning.? does that not make it the Morning Herald..?..and then theres folk who try and give me Metro every morning too....wtf am I gonna do with a train ? and I always thought a Brazilian was a job done on a ladygarden :confused:

I know what you mean :pac:
    there are two versions of the evening herald. Morning and final. But calling the morning version evening is a little silly :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

If hes making 60c per paper, and 3 quid an hour, hes doing a pretty crappy job.

CoolHat wrote: »
    I know what you mean :pac:
    there are two versions of the evening herald. Morning and final. But calling the morning version evening is a little silly :P

Though in saying that...the Herald fits perfectly into bottom of my Cockatiels cage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

They should feel lucky to have a job.

Retarded thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I see them at traffic lights intersections all over Dublin and they seem to sell fcuk all, looks like a poxy job tbh.
    I did buy it on Monday though to get the Dublin poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think the council was looking to get this stopped as it's distracting drivers at junctions and also, the council get no rates from this

If the papers were in shops then the turnover goes up and the council gets their cut

We may see a day when these lads are off the street

except the good looking Brazilian ladies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The reason newspaper sellers can sell in the street is because of a loophole in public trading laws that says you don't need a casual trading licence to distribute printed material - pretty sure this stems from the protecting of free speech etc.

So the Herald are kinda taking the piss to begin with - having their sellers only earn a few euro/hour on average is taking the piss even further. I'd believe the approximations in the OP, the amount of times I've been sat at junctions where they're selling and I have very rarely seen them make a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Here's an out there idea. Don't sell papers for the Herald, exploitation solved. The issue of explotation remains unsolved :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 La Flama Blanca

I drive home through the Malahide Road / N32 (Hilton) junction every day and see them selling 2-3 papers for every time the lights are stopped. It's a busy junction though and has 3 lanes of traffic... Prob doesn't represent your typical pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Quite surprised by the number of "lucky to have a job" and other such responses here. No matter how gifted they may be at selling such high quality journals as the Herald, there's only a certain amount of control they can have over whether or not someone actually wants the paper. As has been mentioned, the Herald and print media in general are getting decreasingly popular all the time so these people who actually get up off of their backsides to work and try make a better life for themselves are being punished for circumstances beyond their control. I wonder if the editor is paid by the number of copies sold. I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You don't get to choose your spot. You can't move around.

Nobody sells 30 or 40 papers in the rush, The rush might be 10 papers, the rest of the time you sell maybe 3 per hour.

The Evening Herald don't just use the sellers to sell papers, they also function as walking billboards.

It doesn't matter if you are choosing to work there because there is nothing else available. It's still not right or fair for anyone to work for that amount.

I'm surprised at the cavalier response here to people earning 2 euro per hour.

I hope you don't mind me saying it ,are you for real.?

This is the attitude which has this country the way it is(well almost)

You expect the minimum wage to waltz around a crossroads and not give a fcuk about whether you sell papers or not?

How in the name of jaysus could a company afford that?

If they don't like it, don't do it.

Would you stop that auld palaver, and find a real issue to bitch about.

never heard anything like that rubish.

I hope you don't mind me saying it ,are you for real.?

This is the attitude which has this country the way it is(well almost)

You expect the minimum wage to waltz around a crossroads and not give a fcuk about whether you sell papers or not?

How in the name of jaysus could a company afford that?

If they don't like it, don't do it.

Would you stop that auld palaver, and find a real issue to bitch about.

never heard anything like that rubish.

The same could be said of people on any minimum wage job. Why not have everyone employed to work in a shop work on commission only? What the person at the sale end has little to do with whether or not someone buys the newspaper in the end. The fact that they are there at all is a far more important factor than their innate marketing skills. Your argument is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They are breaking the law by jaywalking. were are the gardai putting a stop to this nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

They are breaking the law by jaywalking. were are the gardai putting a stop to this nonsense?

Jay walking is not a crime in Ireland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Trq2tC5kQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

triple-M wrote: »

Jay walking is not a crime in Ireland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Trq2tC5kQ

there is provision that a pedestrian shall not be a danger on the road.
    cant copy it on the phone. there is a link to a 2008 thread yo the relevant section of law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

his 1 year student visa from Brazil....

....I however think that it is wrong to treat people like this, especially when they are guests in our country.

we're doing him a favour

stfu or go somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Evening Herald Sellers Being Exploted

This is a headline I would expect to see on The Herald. Its not exactly The Daily Planet.

When I done my emigration stint, I did work in jobs in other places below their min wage. Its part and parcel with that experience.

The same could be said of people on any minimum wage job. Why not have everyone employed to work in a shop work on commission only? What the person at the sale end has little to do with whether or not someone buys the newspaper in the end. The fact that they are there at all is a far more important factor than their innate marketing skills. Your argument is invalid.

No mate, yours is .

If you can't see that ,I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    If only to be the exploiter and not the exploited.

Wouldn't life be grand.
    So you'd be the "beggar on horseback, kicking the beggar on foot"? Nice.

"THIS IS THE BOOK POLICE!

PUT DOWN THE NIETZSCHE/AYN RAND STUFF, AND STEP OUT OF THE LIBRARY."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Does the Herald cost €1? And they receive 60c from this. Hardly exploitation now is it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

And the Herald's Pat Stacy, Con Houlihan and George Byrne are are very fine journalists in their field btw. Pat Stacy, in particular, slays TV bull**** every night. He's kinda like Ireland's Charlie Brooker.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

And the Herald's Pat Stacy, Con Houlihan and George Byrne are are very fine journalists in their field btw. Pat Stacy, in particular, slays TV bull**** every night. He's kinda like Ireland's Charlie Brooker.

Seriously.

Con Houlihan is a national treasure. Amazing use of language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

OP, if your friend was making €2-3 per hour and making 60c per sale, then he was selling 4-5 papers an hour.

How much would you expect someone to get paid for selling 4-5 papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Question: how do these people afford to live in Dublin on €5 an hour. The place is expensive. I'm calling shenanagans on this whole deal. I doubt they are doing this without some kind of subsidy from back home, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Question: how do these people afford to live in Dublin on €5 an hour. The place is expensive. I'm calling shenanagans on this whole deal. I doubt they are doing this without some kind of subsidy from back home, or something.

Cheap accommodation shared between a large number of people. It's pretty common for immigrants to have 2-3 in a room that would usually just be for one person. Cooking big meals shared between everyone reduces costs then by quite a bit.

No mate, yours is .

If you can't see that ,I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.

That's utter nonsense. You won't explain it to me because I don't understand? In other words: "if you don't know, I'm not telling you". Nothing but a cop-out for someone with no argument.
    Does the Herald cost €1? And they receive 60c from this. Hardly exploitation now is it.

The newspaper would make much of its money from advertising, like most others. They usually make a loss on the actual sales.

That's utter nonsense. You won't explain it to me because I don't understand? In other words: "if you don't know, I'm not telling you". Nothing but a cop-out for someone with no argument.

The newspaper would make much of its money from advertising, like most others. They usually make a loss on the actual sales.

My golden bollox man.

Who in their right mind would pay dudes the min. wage to sell papers at a crossroads.

You are letting yourself down, my friend.

C'mon.

My golden bollox man.

Who in their right mind would pay dudes the min. wage to sell papers at a crossroads.

You are letting yourself down, my friend.

C'mon.

Are you trying to wind me up? If you don't want to pay people the minimum wage for a job, that doesn't give you the right to pay them peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In that case perhaps the people being exploited are the buyers although its their own fault really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

well if he was a good seller he could end up minted also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement