Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evening Herald Sellers Being Exploted

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Meh.
    I sold charity scratchcards for a while. I got a euro for each one I sold (and nobody except old ladies would willingly buy one), and averaged about 2-3 per hour. Most days I didn't make enough to cover my bus fare and lunch, so I quit after a few days.

**** jobs exist and always will, and it's not just immigrants doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

squitely wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the cavalier response here to people earning 2 euro per hour.

I know lots of Irish self employed people not making 2 euro an hour and who are not entitled to the dole....despite having paid a fortune in tax all their lives. They cannot emigrate / sell up due to negative equity / families in school etc.

Your brazilian friend can f*** off back out of the country, nobody owes him a living here. He is lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

gigino wrote: »
    I know lots of Irish self employed people not making 2 euro an hour and who are not entitled to the dole....despite having paid a fortune in tax all their lives. They cannot emigrate / sell up due to negative equity / families in school etc.

Your brazilian friend can f*** off back out of the country, nobody owes him a living here. He is lucky.

I've heard this countless times. Not to hijack the thread ( :pac: ) but how come people who run their own business cant claim social if it goes bellyup? ... as you say, they pay tax. So ... shouldnt they be entitled?

Does the Herald cost €1? And they receive 60c from this. Hardly exploitation now is it.
    I bet they do not get 60 cents for selling a paper in their own country. If theyt do not like it here, they can go back home, and let Irish people have the job of selling the paper in a shop + supporting the real economy - paying taxes + rates etc.

CoolHat wrote: »
    how come people who run their own business cant claim social if it goes bellyup? ...
    self employed people are means tested - and if they have a bit of property or a partner who works or some savings for a rainy day / retirement after say 20 or 30 years hard work ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭blackwhite

CoolHat wrote: »
    how come people who run their own business cant claim social if it goes bellyup? ... as you say, they pay tax. So ... shouldnt they be entitled?

Because the Government has no interest in protecting the self-employed.
    If they are a success and build a business which creates jobs for others then the Government will quite happily tax them to oblivion, and do their best to cripple any enterprise with red tape.

Ireland is possibly the worst country in the world in terms of disincentivising entrepreneurship. Our personal bankruptcy laws mean that the punishment for starting a business that fails can be absolutely devestating, and to kick you when you're down the Government will remove the social welfare safety net from you as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

well i think that selling a minimum of 15 papers an hour should be a requirement...and that,d be 9 euro an hour your earning....above minimum wage.

and....why would a brazillian come to ireland...honestly.........pfffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

blackwhite wrote: »
    Because the Government has no interest in protecting the self-employed.
    If they are a success and build a business which creates jobs for others then the Government will quite happily tax them to oblivion, and do their best to cripple any enterprise with red tape.

I don't think this is true, Ireland is an extraordinarily easy place to start a business, plenty of support structures, and the amount of red-tape is minimal. See some of our European neighbours for a lesson in mindless bureaucracy.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Ireland is possibly the worst country in the world in terms of disincentivising entrepreneurship. Our personal bankruptcy laws mean that the punishment for starting a business that fails can be absolutely devestating, and to kick you when you're down the Government will remove the social welfare safety net from you as well.

Agree with the issue of personal bankruptcy, the law needs to change, and it is a huge barrier to starting a business. Some of the County Enterprise board schemes will pay half your previous salary if you start a business, but you're crippled if the thing doesn't work after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

And the Herald's Pat Stacy, Con Houlihan and George Byrne are are very fine journalists in their field btw. Pat Stacy, in particular, slays TV bull**** every night. He's kinda like Ireland's Charlie Brooker.

Seriously.

Seriously??????

Stacy is rubbish but Byrne takes it a new level. He hates everything and almost everyone. I dont buy any of the Independent papers as they are negative rabble rousing, revisionist tabloid, almost west brit, drivel but I did see Byrne's pearler on saturday.

Apparently we should not have stayed neutral in WWII! Yes George and the whole island would have been flattened with millions salughtered just so you could feel better about wearing your poppy.

Con Houlihan is a legend and underappreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

I think its readers are been exploited! complete trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Wasn't there a thread here about evening herald streetsellers around christchurch selling the paper to motorists and then walking off with the change ? They did it systematically as I recall. Apparently people at the time complained to the herald who did nothing.

If they are employing immigrants (who may not be eligible to either work or pay tax) then it's probably not a surprise they didn't want to know about it.

Advertisement