Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker Insurance

Options
  • 23-09-2011 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been backpacking around the world for the past 16 months with the last 10 in Oz. My insurance expired and I don't want to renew it because it's far too expensive.

The problem is I can't get backpacker insurance from an Irish company because I'd have to still be in Ireland and Oz companies are really expensive. I'm not too concerned about my possessions being covered but it's more about health cover. However, someone told me today that if you're Irish and something happens to you that you get free health care in Oz. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks a mil.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is the story on the the agreement between Australia and Ireland on Medical expenses?

The link is below
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ireland-nz.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Just bare in mind the reciprocal health agreement between Australia and Ireland is for EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT ONLY
    Any follows up required, medication, ambulance to the hospital if required and those kind of things are not covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

The AIB do a backpacker insurance policy for Australia / Worldwide. Just go to their site.

Not sure how it fairs with other sites, but it covers medical expenses, which really is a must going anywhere!

Had an emergency root canal done by expensive dentist in Sydney central, and was covered by insurance, so, was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Hi OP, wouldnt recommend going without health insurance out here, as Munster_Gal pointed out, the reciprocal agreement is only for emergancies - check out these guys, I went with them when I stayed travelling more than the 12 months my origional insurance covered...

http://www.worldnomads.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Recipricol covered all follow ups for me when I needed it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

I recommend World Nomads also. You can also get their insurance if you have already left Ireland and it doesn't have to be for a whole year. They were very reasonable. I also googled a promotional code for them and got an extra 10% off, so give that a try,

If you don't have insurance, you will be seen in an Aussie hospital but if you have to get flown home, it will be your family that will have to fork out for it. Really not a clever idea

Advertisement