Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inreased spam

Options
  • 23-09-2011 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, and that being that I've noticed a large increase in spam in the last few nights (I'm a tad nocturnal). Don't expect mods to get to it at this hours but there seems to be a bit more than would be usual. Maybe some filter being circumnavigated or some such?

I'm sure it's been noticed but just 2c in the pot anyway.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, we are being hammered with Rugby World cup spam.

What exactly they are trying to achieve is beyond me, because it is proving quite ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There does appear to normally be a splurge of it from 6-8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There are 7 spam threads on the rugby forum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I'm noticing alot of it myself, best option is to just report the post. I've been reporting countless spam posts.. between 2-5am alot of spam pops up.

I'm sure the Mods/Admins have a pain in their face with it too..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We're doing fairly well keeping on top of it, and Conor has changed some of the filter settings which has kept a lot more out. However we do appreciate people reporting this stuff as it helps us make sure we don't miss any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just deleted 35 spam threads on American Football. Normally we get 3 or 4 going into a weekend, but this was extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did boards.ie hit some sort of traffic tipping point that alerted every professional spammer on the planet to our presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The amount of stream spammers are unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi there....

As a person that hunts down spammers on some phpBB3 Forums,I can add that it's more than annoying.

I think what's going on here is that the spammers have got a good reaction to what they are posting,so they will now just keep hammering it,in the hope that some of it gets through. After all,that's how some of them make money.

I have posted on a different Thread here about the software that We have installed.

It is on phpbb3 forums,,but it works like this......Any spammer,,or any person for that matter,that is trying to register has their Ip,email addy,and user name automatically checked by the sofware,which is run through StopForumSpam. If there is any positive hits on it,,the software automatically prevents them from registering at all.

We also have installed one to keep track of what the spammers do...And the amount of times they try to register is nearly scary...At least a few hundred times an hour. Leading Me to beleive that most if not all of it is automated.

I'm not sure if there is software for this site like that,but,,it works fantastic for Us...It has stopped 99% of them getting onto Our Forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I just had a look at new posts,and there is about 8 spam threads on the first page :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Raoul

mike65 wrote: »
    Did boards.ie hit some sort of traffic tipping point that alerted every professional spammer on the planet to our presence?
    Probably the Hp touchpad thread!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Have to say, fair play to the mods of the forums and the admins for deleting the sh*te so quickly. Fair play lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Raoul wrote: »
    Probably the Hp touchpad thread!:D

Ha ha that was epic!

It gave me an idea though.

Could we gather all boardsies at the same time and F5 the shít outta the spammers website to take it down? Or would they just get more ad revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Keith186 wrote: »
    Ha ha that was epic!

It gave me an idea though.

Could we gather all boardsies at the same time and F5 the shít outta the spammers website to take it down? Or would they just get more ad revenue?

Yup,,could be a great idea......but,,,you could also end up paying a big price for it...

http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/spam-spammers.html

Advertisement