Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fear

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Remind me again why Mary Jane is the "evil" one out of it and alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

"The shakes, the sweats, I've got the fear, never again will I touch that beer....." - lies

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Feel like it's Judgement Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

The worst place in the world to be with "The Fear" is Dundrum town centre on a weekend.After contending with their claustrophobic, squeaky tyre noises car park, you then have to battle your way up levels of escalators full of Ugg booted yummy Drummies on their way to Hollister. I usually feel completely dazed after about 20 mins and have to spend the next hour trying to get out of the frickin place.:eek::eek::eek:
    Now I just nurse my hangovers on the safety of my couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

i had a thread like this and people wer linkin me to the AA website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

WinstonOno wrote: »
    i had a thread like this and people wer linkin me to the AA website

http://www.aaireland.ie/

Bit odd linking you to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

Insurgent wrote: »
    http://www.aaireland.ie/

Bit odd linking you to that.

It's probably something to do with the drink driving thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yes, the fear is just horrible. I used to get it really bad but I've learned to cope in recent years. Once I was partying really hard every night in South America and staying in bed till 4 or 5 o'clock. By the time I got up and tried to eat etc I'd be the most jumpy, nervous cretin in the world and it was so bad the only way I could stop it was by having another drink. Before you know it it would be 3am and I'd be on my 3rd bottle of wine and snorting a line. Took me about 3 weeks to get off that merry-go-round.
    The only way to get through it is to either cut off booze completely (don't resort to it to ease the pain), or if you are worried you will go into convulsions etc from alcohol withdrawal, slowly ween yourself off it for a few nights.
    I know none of you ever got this bad but some people out there know what I'm talking about, hell on earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Kasabian wrote: »
    I lived with "the fear" for years.
    Liking/depending on alcohol does that. :(

Did you give it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What the hell is the Onion Man? I've heard people mention him in conjunction with the Fear. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I've gotten the fear a few times, what make it worse is when you see two people that were out with you laughing without you hearing the joke.

There is only one explanation . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its even worse when you find out you actually have caused harm the night before. 'The Shame' stays with you for a long time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Woke up this morning with the biggest hangover and The Fear.

""The Fear" is the sense that you have done yourself some lasting damage after a night of drinking. It's symptoms are:

- A feeling that you are going to die soon (and not just due to other hangover symptoms);
    - A sense that people or organizations are out to get you;
    - Angst that you may have offended, inappropriately touched or physically attacked someone the night before;
    - Foreboding about the next time you meet the people or return to the bar where you degraded yourself the previous night.

The fear is often accompanied by "The Remorse" where you are also genuinely ashamed and sorry for the way you have behaved, as well as simply frightened for the sake of your own wellbeing.
    Concerned Friend: "How are you feeling after last night?"
    Sufferer: "I am riddled with The Fear. And cat AIDS.""

I usually get it when I drink cheap vodka, i.e. Tesco's finest!

I really wasn't even that drunk last night so I'm pretty sure I remember everything I said and done but I can't help but feel really scared!

Does anyone else get this after drinking?

Surprised no-one has mentioned this. Made me literally spit tea on my keyboard, well done OP, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    What the hell is the Onion Man? I've heard people mention him in conjunction with the Fear. Anyone?

Yes, I know Onion Man.

I have been raped by him several times over the years. I'll take on and deal with 'The Fear' before I'd even think about Onion Man.

He can smell The Fear and thrives on it...I won't soil your soul with an explanation/introduction. Ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to him -I also know this from experience.

Forget about Onion Man and he can't hurt you. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    The term does not originate from D4, please see the movie Withnail & I - that's where it came from.

That was the Carrot that did that silly!

Well, whatever the word is for that all encompassing sense of dread and shame you get with a hangover, I hate that. Makes everything seem so sinister "That dog is barking, why is he barking???"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Makes everything seem so sinister "That dog is barking, why is he barking???"

Cos he knows what you did last night, in fact he knows only too well cos you tried it on him :pac:

If only he could talk...... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I just take a valium, sorts my Fear right out. :D

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I just take a valium, sorts my Fear right out. :D

I'm a firm believer in "Do the crime, do the time" so any sort of tablets are out! And I learn my lesson every Sunday by saying "I am never drinking again" but then forget the lesson learnt by the following Friday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

That was the Carrot that did that silly!

"

Yes, the carrot did it but that's where the term comes from. And leave the dog alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yes, the carrot did it but that's where the term comes from. And leave the dog alone!

He should stop being sexy so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

My friend christened The Fear "Post Session Depression". I suffer from The Fear so badly, so much so that I haven't drank in ages. I'd say even if I sat at home, in the dark, drinking, I'd still have the Fear the next day. I used to spend the majority of my Sundays ringing around making sure that everyone was still friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

ananas wrote: »
    My friend christened The Fear "Post Session Depression". I suffer from The Fear so badly, so much so that I haven't drank in ages. I'd say even if I sat at home, in the dark, drinking, I'd still have the Fear the next day. I used to spend the majority of my Sundays ringing around making sure that everyone was still friendly.

Either I'm your friend or your friend and I had the exact same thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It goes back way further than Withnail and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Oh god is there anything worse! I feel the worst part is the anxiety attached to waiting for the delivery man to bring you your hangover fattening cure.

You know it takes awhile to deliver but every noise you hear from the second you place the order to when it arrives is him. You look like crap in your hoodie, unshowered as you open the door. He gives you a look which plainly says' You again really how many times have I been here this month!?!' as he takes your money.

Do not like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

hondasam wrote: »
    Did you give it up?

Yes, happily sober for 5 years now. :)

Christ I had "The Fear" last night, hardly slept! Gotta stop these all day sessions of a Saturday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

The fear is a niggling feeling all day like you forgot something and can't remember what or where. What's worse is the panic when you wake up after a night out and all of a sudden get a shock to the heart, jump around on the bed like a lunatic trying to find your phone to check your sent items and pray the last thing sent is "On my way, see you in 10!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

As someone who suffered with "The Fear" for many years (although in my native Glasgow we called it " the heebie jeebies") let me have the sad news of informing you that it doesnt get any better people it gets worse! I could hit you with all sort of horror stories here but im not gonna preach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

It's alright, Miss Blenerhasset. I'm warning you, if you do, you're fired. We are multimillionaires. We shall buy this place and fire you immediately.

Advertisement