Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to rehome my dog :(

Options
  • 23-09-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

i have a mini longhair jack russle, but i also have 3 young kids ad he keeps snapping at them he seems to hate kids, any ideas as to where i can bring him , i hate the thoughts of him being put down,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

did you try a behaviourist to try to help him?

If you google dog rescues dublin you will get plenty showing up but beware that most of them are jam packed

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I think you should give the dog (and your family) a chance ... you need to invest in a PROFESSIONAL dog behaviourist

you will find that most likely this behaviour can be reversed and your dog is probably a lovely pet. Please do not have him/her PTS

Please CONSIDER A TRAINER THAT USES POSTIVE REINFORCEMENT. no need to hit the dog it will make things worse.

The reward will be priceless once this is all sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Give Siobhan from Dublin Pet Services a ring, she's fantastic and has tons of experience, I found her great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What have you done to try and sort this? Have you brought the dog to any training classes, or had a behaviourist out to the house?

Have you brought the dog to the vet to see if theres a medical reason as to why hes snapping?

How old is the dog? Is it a pup? Maybe its just mouthing and not actually being aggressive, 2 very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

He could be showing signs of jealousy, territoriality, maybe the kids are pulling at him or annoying him and he doesn't know how to react, as said maybe he's only playing. Did you have the kids first, or the dog? How have you been handling his behaviour? Have you had anyone professionally assist you with the dog?
    Rescue centres/pounds should be your last option, they are jam-packed as it is, and if your dog is suffering from issues regarding your children, eg he feels left out, lonely or ignored, he might feel even worse when he's removed from the home altogether - and that can really affect a dog's personality and his ability to be rehomed.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm slating you, you need to think of your kids and their safety. But if you really love the dog, you need to explore all options before getting rid of him, because once he goes to a pound or rescue centre, there is no real guarantee that he won't be put down :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I agree with the other posters, try a behaviourist if you can. Are you near Kildare at all? I used to work in a vet clinic there last year and they had a number for a lady they rang whenever someone came in with an animal with behaviour issues. PM me if you're near Kildare and I can give you the number of the vet clinic, they'll point you in the right direction.

A shelter or a pound sadly won't guarantee that he won't be PTS anyway unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Give Siobhan from Dublin Pet Services a ring, she's fantastic and has tons of experience, I found her great

www.dublinpetservices.com

Advertisement