Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda hand-held speed cameras

• 23-09-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend...

Does anyone know if someone is driving above the speed limit if you are clocked on the hand-held speed cameras held by one of our fine Gardaí, are you pulled over there and then or do they note/photograph your reg and send you a nice letter in the post instead?

thanks

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

You get pulled there and then. Happy days!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

what usually happens here is that the Gard will, when he has clocked u in ur BMW doing 990 KM/ph, DROOL and FOAM at the mouth that he has just met his quota for the day and will rush back to the cop shop enter in ur details and then scoff donuts for an hour in celebration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sometimes they have a few bikes up the road and he will radio up to grab you ya filthy speeder!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

No you're not!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hi all,

Does anyone know if someone is driving above the speed limit if you are clocked on the hand-held speed cameras held by one of our fine Gardaí, are you pulled over there and then or do they note/photograph your reg and send you a nice letter in the post instead?

thanks
    They should pull you over, unless it was one of those gatso vans. I was doing 61/62 (and still slowing down) in a 50 a few weeks back, just inside the 50 and just after passing a sign saying that the limit was 100kmph. I could see a guy with the camera stuck out the window, looking like he was taking a pic of my reg, but I haven't received anything to say that I was caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

they dont pull you over, they just clock you.

but if you were speeding badly they might give a chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Was visiting with my parents one Xmas...on the last night I was taken ill and admitted to the local hopital 36 miles away from where I was staying...when I finally got out of A&E and into a bed it as about 3am so I told the OH to go and get a room and some sleep..........when he returned a couple of hours later he told me that he'd been breathalised twice in 15 mins the night before......apparently he was looking for a hotel and was stopped.......result= sober as a judge - no problem with that, it was 3.15am Christmas week;)

However, the hotel he had in mind was shut tight and he had to double back.......same Guard, same stretch of road, stopped again....Guard recognised him obviouslyand asked what he was doing...he explained and the Guard said he should go back to the hospital as he doubted anywhere would be accessible given the late hour but, would he just blow in the bag one more time as he was okay (not under the influence) and another test would "keep the stats up".....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Motors

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Road Angel ftw

roadangellaser.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Was visiting with my parents one Xmas...on the last night I was taken ill and admitted to the local hopital 36 miles away from where I was staying...when I finally got out of A&E and into a bed it as about 3am so I told the OH to go and get a room and some sleep..........when he returned a couple of hours later he told me that he'd been breathalised twice in 15 mins the night before......apparently he was looking for a hotel and was stopped.......result= sober as a judge - no problem with that, it was 3.15am Christmas week;)

However, the hotel he had in mind was shut tight and he had to double back.......same Guard, same stretch of road, stopped again....Guard recognised him obviouslyand asked what he was doing...he explained and the Guard said he should go back to the hospital as he doubted anywhere would be accessible given the late hour but, would he just blow in the bag one more time as he was okay (not under the influence) and another test would "keep the stats up".....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ok!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

ok!!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

If a Garda clocks you with a hand held gun he has to stop you afaik but the gatso vans don't stop you. I've been stopped twice for speeding and both times the guard has stopped me

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

The Garda has to chase and pull you over if using a hand-held speed detector irrespective of speed. This is 100%.

Gatso vans record and send a fine in the post.

By the way, @xzanti - Possession of a device like that for speed camera detection is Illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

deepspeed wrote: »

By the way, @xzanti - Possession of a device like that for speed camera detection is Illegal in Ireland.

Illegal and does not work quick enough to avoid lasers.... Great for radar though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

xzanti wrote: »
    Road Angel ftw

:pac:

^ ^ ^ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread closed because the OP's question has been answered, and advocating the use of speed detection equipment is against the Charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement