Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I had a spare £7,000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow.

I tell you what though, I wouldn't be sending an ebay seller with 6 feedback 7 grand! :eek:

He also recently sold another 32X lot. Nowhere near £7000, but it still went for a good sum. I guess it's because PAL Kolibri is in there.

That's a game which has really shot up in price over the last few years. I passed it up once for about €30-€40. Stupid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320755831730

Master of the Universe

That's crazy alright!

Although what's even crazier is paying a grand (sterling!) for cart only versions of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

You are right. I am holding out for the day someone puts it up for £10 buy it now option not knowing the real value!

I would be interested to see how much they would actually go for in a auction

Master of the Universe

I've seen them listed cart only for around the 700 pounds mark too and I don't think they sold at that. They're not worth nearly close to the complete..or even boxed versions.

Check out this post from 2005 on digital press -

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showpost.php?p=667925&postcount=2

Specifically -

The last 2 loose DarXides both made in the region of £120

• Advertisement

I reckon they would fetch around £300 for a fully boxed version each but there are some people with more money than sense who can afford £2k a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Save up another £3000 and buy this instead:

http://www.arcade-game-sales.com/products/11032-2.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pity Darius is a bit crap. Now get Warrior Blade, Rastan 3 on that and I'd be interested :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity Darius is a bit crap.

shocked.jpg

FishSlap.jpg

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Or get a setup like the chap below.

That photo was surely taken by someone that was pronounced clinically dead for a few moments and happened to have a camera on them to photograph what truly lies beyond this life in heaven.

That setup is truly exquisite. Nay, it's masterful. Delightful. Romantic. Entropic.

I've just soiled myself. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It kind of is though. The only thing the first game has going for it is the three screens. The series was kind of crap until Darius Gaiden and G-Darius when the games suddenly became all kinds of amazing and Zuntata did the soundtracks.

Have to commend you on how appropriate this is in a darius conversation:
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    FishSlap.jpg

It kind of is though. The only thing the first game has going for it is the three screens. The series was kind of crap until Darius Gaiden and G-Darius when the games suddenly became all kinds of amazing and Zuntata did the soundtracks.

Have to commend you on how appropriate this is in a darius conversation:

Heehee, glad you liked the reference. :D

This might turn in to a Halo discussion I fear! Alas sir I cannot tip my bonnet to thee and doth drop my gloves at ye feet. Darius is wonderful. The entire series is fantastic!

I agree there's a few stinkers in there. Darius Force for me being one of them. Oh and Darius Alpha *gasp!* because it's just a boss rush and stupidly overpriced (wish I had it though :(), similar story with Darius R (which I just want for the lovely box art). But I think the first was a beaut. It offered something just that little bit different to everything else out there. Besides the fun 970 squillion screen display gimmick you had some great game play, decent replay value and a theme that ended up literally spanning generations.

For me there are not many shooter series at all that can equal or best it. The original feels fresher than other titles released at the same time. Dated, obviously, but still completely playable and more importantly enjoyable than other titles released at the time.

I do agree with you though in that Gaiden and G-Darius (more so Gaiden for me) are at the top of the pile jostling each other in their pants to see who's bestestest.

Viva Darius!

p.s: I meant to say Darius Force, not Darius Twin which has the following music (first stage) you will not be able to get out of your head today. :)

I just found the stages in the first Darius really bland and repetive and way too long. At the time there were better shooters like Gradius and R-type was around the corner.

Gradius

Couldn't ever get on with that game. Irked me something chronic as I really wanted to like it (and I sort of do but I just struggle to like it, if that makes sense).

Now Gradius V on the other hand... :cool:

Ah stop, Gradius is amazing, I love the power up system in it. Gradius 2 and Salamander are even better. Gradius 3 is just too tough for its own good although the easier snes version is good.

Gradius V is a masterpiece. For the longest time I was trying to decide if it or radiant silvergun was my favourite shooter ever.

Salamander

The Saturn version is a pile of trousers. The PC Engine version though is a luscious deviant!
    Gradius V is a masterpiece.

2406095.jpg

Master of the Universe

I think I remember Retr0 arguing with someone that Gradius V was the best game on the ps2 and getting shouted at for being 'pretentious' :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think I remember Retr0 arguing with someone that Gradius V was the best game on the ps2 and getting shouted at for being 'pretentious' :pac:

Nah it wasn't about Gradius V, it was just him being pretentious in general! Just kidding. :P
    Ico is the best game on PS2, think that was proven mathematically a few years back.

Is Gradius V that good? Don't suppose any USB arcade stick would work on the PS2? Maybe the 360 SFIV:TE?

Master of the Universe

Ah, but then you stumble across another problem. Is ICO better than SOTC? My brain could explode trying to work that one out.

Gradius V is absolutely brilliant. It's one of the nicest looking ps2 games out there. Definitely give it a go...on your cab! that'd be amazing.

• Advertisement

Gradius V is a work of beauty that's for sure. I don't know if I could twin it with Radiant Silvergun as my my favourite shooter though the two of them are certainly up there.

Actually I'd have a hard time choosing a favourite as I like so many of games in this genre (as is well documented on these here 'forii' (sic)). :rolleyes:

The Saturn version is a pile of trousers. The PC Engine version though is a luscious deviant!

Thought the saturn version was arcade perfect and a great game? Also came with the excellent Salamander 2!

There was a thread about the best PS2 games and I said that Gradius V is arguably the best game on the system. Unless you have no taste this is true. Anyway at the time the love system or whatever was in place and I got a lot of people telling me I was a pretentious idiot for saying an old school 2D game that belongs in the dark ages was a great game.

I also got quite a few messages from people who took my advice and actually bought the game after I turned their attention to it so it wasn't all bad.

Not sure about Ico being the best looking game on the system. Okami wins it for me.

Not sure about Ico being the best looking game on the system. Okami wins it for me.

Defo not the best looking game, agreed Okami wins hands down with visuals. But Ico as overall best game definitely yes (for me). SOTC very close second.

So, is there anyway to play Gradius V on PS2 with an arcade stick?

Buy a PS2 arcade stick?

Only problem is that if you want to use the directionally controlled options (and it's the best option set up for the game imo) then you need a dual shock.

Possibly with an adapter of some sort...? :confused:

I use my Namco PS1 stick for my PS2 shooters. Tis a lovely 'ol thing.

As for Salamander, I personally prefer the PC Engine Super CD version. The Saturn version hurts my eyes and my hair. :(

Ok thanks, I meant without having to buy a new stick. Dualshock it is so.

As for Salamander, I personally prefer the PC Engine Super CD version. The Saturn version hurts my eyes and my hair. :(

I find Salamander gets much easier after the first level. It's a bit rough graphically but I can see past that. It's also got one of the best opening level music for any game!

It's a bit rough graphically but I can see past that.

Rough? ROUGH?! That opening level makes me feel like my retinas have been smashed with a toffee hammer! :eek:

Well it's doing some crazy stuff for the time. The moving walls and sprite scaling were relatively unheard of back then. It gets nicer looking later on. Still think the game is very playable.

Also the second level is great for finding out if you are epileptic. I think the midboss that appears that does nothing but make the screen flash was the cause of more teenage epilepsy fits in the 80's than anything else.

• Advertisement

Also the second level is great for finding out if you are epileptic.

HA HA! Totally agree. Reminds me of those old Pot Noodle adverts that got banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I've always been very interested in Darxide on the 32X. I'm a bit of a history buff in general, and the history of video games also interests me. I find the who Sega in the early to mid-90's fiasco to be particularly interesting.

That a game like Darxide even made it out - an exclusive game for an add-on system that was failing badly, which came out at the end of its very short life exclusively in Europe makes it the thing of legend in my view. I do believe it was originally intended as a Neptune launch title. I really want a copy some day...... I win the lottery! :D

Master of the Universe

Texture mapped polygons dude, texture mapped! :)

I'd love a copy of it myself. But it's only going to happen if I find the thing in a charity shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I find the who Sega in the early to mid-90's fiasco to be particularly interesting.

It is something of a brilliant thing, made all the more brilliant by the fact that, at one stage, they were just about winning the war with SNES. That's a feck-up that takes active, prolonged effort.

Also, if we had £7,000, we'd be millionaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Texture mapped polygons dude, texture mapped!

I'd love a copy of it myself. But it's only going to happen if I find the thing in a charity shop.

I'd likely pass out if I found one in a charity shop! Could you imagine if you found a box-load of them in an old warehouse or something? Or a box of Euro Kizuno Encounter carts?

I'd feel pretty bad though about paying a few quid for a Darxide or the like from a Charity shop.... though I'm sure I'd get over it!

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It is something of a brilliant thing, made all the more brilliant by the fact that, at one stage, they were just about winning the war with SNES. That's a feck-up that takes active, prolonged effort.

Also, if we had £7,000, we'd be millionaires.

Nintendo are trying their best recently to pull a similar stunt to mid-90s Sega. Case in point:

slidepadofficial530pxheaderimg-e1315921086367.jpg

Sony was also at it with the launch of the PS3, but after they redesigned the machine, stuck it back out at a knock down price and got some games out for it they've done quite well...... lets hope Nintendo can recover and regain their crown as one of the best video games companies in the world.

Texture mapped polygons dude, texture mapped! :)

Or a car boot sale. There is no way I could justify that amount of cash. The most I have paid for a game was £80 each for The Wily wars and Metal Slug AES converstion and I thought that was a awful lot.

• Advertisement

Warren3 wrote: »
    The most I have paid for a game was £80 for Metal Slug AES converstion and I thought that was a awful lot.

:eek:

Umm... was that CIB? If so you got the bargain of the millenium.

Master of the Universe

Ah an AES Metal Slug conversion isn't too much I don't think. It's only the real deal that costs about two grand.

Ah an AES Metal Slug conversion isn't too much I don't think. It's only the real deal that costs about two grand.

Ah I read that as the AES home version. By conversion we're talking about MVS boards stuffed in to an AES cassette?

Master of the Universe

Yep! An MVS cart converted to look like an AES home cart.

:eek:

Umm... was that CIB? If so you got the bargain of the millenium.

Yep both CIB. It took and few months of shopping about but the bargains are out there. Got the Wily Wars from Germany and the Metal Slug was uk based

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 WastedSpace

If I had a spare £7k I'm sure there's many things I could buy. But I don't :(

Either way that's pretty cool!

Just put a £500 bid on the games and was instantly declined.

That was my limit

Master of the Universe

I see he has 12 declined offers. It's such a shame you can't see the amounts.

That would be a great idea so if I saw someone had put a bid of £750 in I would not bother bidding but it sort of turns into an auction then does it not??

Master of the Universe

Warren3 wrote: »
    That would be a great idea so if I saw someone had put a bid of £750 in I would not bother bidding but it sort of turns into an auction then does it not??

Well an auction has a set time and people bid until that time.

With offers like this the seller decides at what price he wishes to let it go.

I think the offers are hidden as it makes people offer more.

Think about it, if you could see the offers, and saw loads of rejected ones around €500, you're probably going to offer something just a little bit above that figure. And maybe the seller will just give in and accept it as it's the best offer he's been given.

I think when you can't see the other offers it creates an illusion that there must be huge ones, so people may offer a lot higher.

That's the only reason I can see for hiding them really. Making more money for sellers (and ebay).

Master of the Universe

Holy crap, tell me that was you who got that for £400?! :eek:

You can still buy the boxed edition if you didn't win the loose cart!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DARXIDE-Sega-32x-megadrive-SUPER-ULTRA-RARE-/320780719788

Holy crap, tell me that was you who got that for £400?! :eek:

Sorry no chance £400 for a cart only!!.

I am sure another one will come up soon :)

You can still buy the boxed edition if you didn't win the loose cart!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DARXIDE-Sega-32x-megadrive-SUPER-ULTRA-RARE-/320780719788

Yeah saw this as well. It is from the same guy selling the cart

• Advertisement
Advertisement