Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a recession on but....

• 23-09-2011 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

No one comes back to you!!!!
    Is this just an Irish thing or what, it is the middle of a deeeeeeeep recession but you ring,/ e mail people looking to buy services from them and they don't come back to you??????wtf is that about, has any one else experienced this?
    I am not talking civil servants here, lets face it we expect that type of treatment there, these are business's that are builders, car sales men etc, they just don't bother their arse coming back to you and I don't get it.
    They will send five minutes on the phone telling you how bad things are and then not come back to you as promised.

Or maybe I'm German, or a cranky old man, or right,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nah I've gotten this a few times,
    Local glass/mirror guy called him looking to get 4 mirrors done for the bathrooms and he never got back to me even though I left him two voicemails.

Electrician, asked him to come out to do some work, even confirmed to me he had no work at present and agreed to come out at set time/date...never showed.

Called him back and he said something came up,. agreed again and again never showed,
    Called him back and he stopped answering his phone.

I guess there's loads of money in not having any work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The parents were looking to get some work done out in the back garden during the summer - not a massive amount but it wouild have taken about a week to do it.

We got 3 lads to price it. First problem we had was getting them to call out and have a look - ususal excuses "ah, I forgot" etc.

Eventually we got the prices and gave it to one lad. He said he wouldn't be able to do it for 4 weeks which was fine.

Well, that was 8 weeks ago and guess what?.......yip no sign of him

The parents are the type that if someone commits to something you shouldn't have to chase them up for it.

They've now got it done by another lad and are waiting now for other fella to show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh its happening everywhere.

With people who are working for a company I can see to a certain extent that some have low morale with wages cut, hours cut, no bonuses and basically no incentive to work.. not that its an excuse to be honest.

But with self employed people, especially those in the trades, the mind boggles!! :confused:

I think a lot are still in the mindset that things are like they were 4-5 years ago, that if they want me they will wait.. not anymore buddy!! :rolleyes:

We have that with some of our suppliers, not bothering to return calls, respond to emails etc. So we take our business elsewhere and then out of the blue the account from the original company rep calls and wonders why things have been so quiet, when they try to explain, we get the usual excuses.

A phone call takes 2 mins, an email response takes less time is my standard response, if you're not capable of that then you're not good enough to get our business. Not good enough as far as I'm concerned and if they aren't interested in our business then we are more than happy to take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

recently went into insurance company near Ulster Bank on Quay for a quote, said would call me back with quote, never did, never going in there again. simple as that, i hate bad service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Keep a list of the people and companies that never get back to you. Never use their services again in the future. They obviously don't need your money if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah have had this a bit alright.

We were getting a significant amount of work done in our back garden. Was recommended two lads who had done a bit for a family friend. They called out at the second time of asking which was bad enough. Told me they'd call me with a quote the next morning. No call. Nothing all day. Rang him the next day. No quote done yet as he had been busy. Never heard a word from the fcuker again and he didn't answer his phone when I rang him.

I was looking to buy a car under the scrappage scheme earlier this year and couldn't believe the attitudes of some of the "salesmen". The worst culprit was a young lad in Hyundai. It's part of Bolands so the guy at a desk in the Hyundai showroom had no information at all and had to send for one of the Bolands' salesmen. He arrives after about 5 minutes and looks at me blankly. I have to constantly ask him questions to get anywhere and the responces were no more than one-liners. He had no detailed information when asked. He was recalling the scrappage details from memory (with great difficulty). He didn't have one single price list of piece of literature for me to bring away with me. Unbelievable!

Credit where it's due though. Dealt with Johno in George Corbett motors in the end and he was top class, as were the rest of the staff I encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In a kind of half hearted sort of way (ie I am kind of fed up with it) I am trying to get a bathroom floor retiled. Not quibbling about price beyond what is sensible and so far have asked five tilers to look at the job. Three turned up, two gave me quotes, and one actually turned up to do the job, but had forgotten he had said he would organise the plumber, went away and was never seen again.

I have been intending to ask on here if anyone had any experience of the Polish guys that are now doing tiling etc (I have employed the painters and been very satisfied), but I know I am going to get endless complaints about why I don't employ local guys. ^^ that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Max Powers wrote: »
    recently went into insurance company near Ulster Bank on Quay for a quote, said would call me back with quote, never did, never going in there again. simple as that, i hate bad service

Wasn't Aviva by any chance:D

As regards registered companies a lot of them could be in financial trouble and this could be the reason.

I can't get any reply to 2 messages left to a good household maintenance company I used to deal with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

I hate to say it buts it's an Irish thing, I was recently in Austria and Germany pricing some materials and the competition was fierce!!
    I was told numerous times " wenn Sie es nicht wollen, wird jemand anderes es " ( if you don't want it, someone else will )
    I think the work was so plentiful and over priced here for so long, these tradesmen have yet it re-adjust their worth.
    I hope for the sake of our economy they cop on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

It's quite common I'd say, called to a garage last week to trade in the car, was told they would call me back in the morning as they wanted to do a good deal. Alas no phone call, needless to say I couldn't be arsed going back there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh the dealership car sales guy thing is a joke.. most of these guys never had to sell a day in their life. They just stood there and the cars sold themselves. Now you have to convince a prospective customer that they are getting the best deal, the best warranty etc and most of them havent a clue and no idea where to start!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement