Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Scam warning

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been apartment hunting on daft and noticed there are a few beautiful apartments for bargin prices and when you contact the owner they ask you to send the rent and deposit to them in London by Western Union! Total scam!!!! :eek:
    I have to say, daft were very prompt in noticing that the ad was fraudulent, but be wary of the scam on other site like gumtree etc

So just to warn you, if it's too good to be true, it is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

These come up every year, and are often sent from 'odd' email addresses with 'famous' names, such as the email I got from Katy and Katherine Perry! :D

Good idea to highlight them - the more people know about it, the less chance of these guys actually succeeding in scamming someone (even though someone should be able to figure out that the accommodation and rent are too good to be true)!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Anyone who sends money to one of those ad's deserves to loose their money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fluffquack

Just to alert people to the property renting scam going on for ads appearing in Dublin City Centre this year so that no one gets caught out! There's been two ads like this someone put up.

It is a version of this:
    http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=70874
    Sent from fagraholt55@hotmail.com

Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : 18-21 Lower Mount Street, Dublin. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Ireland, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
    Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 670EURO/month. As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to Ireland, so we won't disturb you.
    You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Andres Fagraholt and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
    I have a lovely wife,Sarah and a 25 year old daughter, Maria. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
    But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best from United Kingdom!

Andres Fagraholt
    44 Edgware Road
    London
    W2 1ED
    United Kingdom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

That looks like a lovely apartment. When is available to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fluffquack

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    That looks like a lovely apartment. When is available to rent?

I hope that's sarcasm! (can never tell on the internet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Yep. Thread on it here.
    Always reverse search on google images if it looks too good to be true [works for online dating profiles too ;) ].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

convert wrote: »
    ... often sent from 'odd' email addresses with 'famous' names, such as the email I got from Katy and Katherine Perry! :D ...
    Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

mathepac wrote: »
    Who?

That girl who looks like Zooey Deschanel but with added boobies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

gaius c wrote: »
    That girl who looks like Zooey Deschanel but with added boobies.
    Who?????'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Just got this. I'm renting a room. Can't see how she's going to work this as she'll be the one renting. I won't be giving any money (unless it's the I sent too much, send some back lark).

Hi,

Thanks for the reply to my e-mail . I have seen few details of the
    room on the website and I'm completely satisfied and happy to rent
    from you.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name Mary Malet, I'm 28 years old
    from Durban South Africa. I work as a marketing consultant for
    Micabela Cosmetic firm here in SA. I'm an easy going young lady who
    easily adapts with most people, i work for most part of the week and i
    enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends over the
    weekend. I love keeping fit so i always go to the gym on Saturdays and
    Sundays. I derive so much pleasure in swimming, going to musical
    concerts, cinema and most especially travelling to new places and
    meeting people with different lifestyle and culture. I often go to
    clubs to have fun.

I would be coming over to Ireland for a research project on cosmetics
    products which is why i need the room. My company will be sponsoring
    my trip to Ireland and they will also be responsible for the rent
    payment for the room and other bills during my stay.

Can you please provide me the below information:

1. Total cost of rent every month and if bond is required
    2. Date of availability of the room and Duration of months or year you
    are willing to rent the room out to me.

Please tell me more about yourself, hobbies, your age, what you do for
    a living and so on. I will be looking forward to your prompt response
    to my e-mail.

Have a great day

Thanks.

And on gmail her profile photo is of a blonde model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 susiebaby

I got this reply too 18/9/13:mad:....had advertised on DAFT.
    DAFT very promptly advised me of possible scam/fraud-thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I've received the same email and the scam alert from daft

Advertisement