Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wigan v Spurs

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Hopefully it's the same starting 11 as last week. If it is, I think we should be going to the JJB and winning. An early goal to get us going and any sort of win will do nicely.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's the same starting 11 as last week. If it is, I think we should be going to the JJB and winning. An early goal to get us going and any sort of win will do nicely.

COYS

agree same team for defo, 3 points is a must to build on last sundays result. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I reckon he might go with VDV instead of Niko. 3 points a must as you guys said to build on last 2 victories. These are the games where we lost points last year and after winning at Molineaux i hope we can win at Wigan too. COYS!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, a win is a must this weekend. We need to keep the momentum going, and get more points on the board. This is the kind of game that we ****ed up on last season, so here's hoping. I don't mind if it's VDV or Niko, as long as Defoe and Ade are up front, and Parker and Modric are in the center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

any word on lennons injury? for me if he's fit he goes straight back in to the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

am i correct in saying rodallega is out

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, a win is a must this weekend. We need to keep the momentum going, and get more points on the board. This is the kind of game that we ****ed up on last season, so here's hoping. I don't mind if it's VDV or Niko, as long as Defoe and Ade are up front, and Parker and Modric are in the center.

I just think we have a better shape with Niko. VDV is likely to be anywhere on the pitch at any given time. I think we really need to get a balanced structure to the team especially in these games. When Lennon comes back he will slot in and if Ade and JD are firing where will we put VDV then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Bassong at left full maybe, with rafa on the right ?

Sandro and Rafael van der Vaart are both available for Saturday’s trip to Wigan in the Barclays Premier League.

Brazilian midfielder Sandro made his long-awaited return from a knee injury in Tuesday’s Carling Cup tie at Stoke and came through 71 minutes.

Rafa also started that match having played 45 minutes in last Sunday’s win over Liverpool following a hamstring injury, and is now back to full fitness.

However, Benoit Assou-Ekotto is a doubt through illness, while Niko Kranjcar (ankle) and Roman Pavlyuchenko (hamstring) have been ruled out of the visit to the DW Stadium.

They join an injury list that includes Aaron Lennon (groin) and William Gallas (calf), who Harry Redknapp reports are both making progress and will soon be available for selection.

Aaron has returned to training today (Friday) while William came through 90 minutes of a friendly with Brentford earlier this week.

Steven Pienaar (groin) and Danny Rose (ankle) are also progressing well but remain sidelined along with Michael Dawson (Achilles) and Tom Huddlestone (ankle).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

BERBA wrote: »
    any word on lennons injury? for me if he's fit he goes straight back in to the team

.. not based on his last few performances surely?

.. not based on his last few performances surely?

this is the constant quandry for me. With his pace on one side and Bale on the other we should be lethal, great balance and width and able to take anyone apart.

And we are until he gets anywhere where he needs to deliver a quality ball into the box and instead hits the first defender if it doesnt go wide first.

Surely with the 5,635 coaches we have one of them is a crossing coach

Mullo76 wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can see VDV replacing Niko too, I thought he did well in the position last week although (strangely) we won't have as easy a time as we did against Liverpool. Strange to think that Sandro can't get into the team given how good he can be.

There is no point in beating "top 6" teams if we can't go out the following week and put away Wigan. A win here and I think we are back in the chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mullo76 wrote: »
    this is the constant quandry for me. With his pace on one side and Bale on the other we should be lethal, great balance and width and able to take anyone apart.

And we are until he gets anywhere where he needs to deliver a quality ball into the box and instead hits the first defender if it doesnt go wide first.

The problem with playing both Lennon and Bale is that they both hug the touchline and we are liable to get overrun in central midfield. There is a noticeable difference when Modric or Kranjcar play out wide as they will drift in and gives us more bodies in the centre.

As for the Wigan game: If BAE is out then Bassong or Bale is the choice for LB. Sandro could play in CM with Modric on the wing. I'd start Kranjcar over VDV, Rafa can always come in if things need changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mickman wrote: »
    am i correct in saying rodallega is out

He's out for a few months. Good news for us, he's a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bassong at LB if Ledly is fit otherwise he'll have to into the centre and Bale at LB Sandro on the bench to ease him back in but he might struggle if Parker continues playing as he has. Benny will be a huge miss he's fantastic for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Same 11 as last week, no need to change a winning team. Great to see Sandro back. Wouldnt be happy with Lennon starting, no end product most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Is Rose injured? If not, he should start at left back. From what I remember he did quite well there while Benny was injured last season.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Is Rose injured? If not, he should start at left back. From what I remember he did quite well there while Benny was injured last season.
    Still out with an ankle injury unfortunately hopefully be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

if we dont win this game i will be angry!!! you wouldnt like me when im angry!!!!!!:)

indiewindy wrote: »
    Same 11 as last week, no need to change a winning team.

Read the team news mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

SuprSi wrote: »
    Rose and Pienaar are back training:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

doin well in last man standing not many left now!

have picked spurs this week, not fully confident but will be cheering them on even tho I don't support them

another 9-1 would be nice to settle te nerves early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Defoe out of the team/squad? Pav and Adebayor to start?

Probably 4-4-1-1 with Vdv....

Sandro and Rafa Start
    Possibly

Modric-Sandro-Parker-Bale?
    Team in

Friedel;
    Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto;
    Modric, Parker, Sandro, Bale;
    Van der Vaart, Adebayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sandro and Rafa Start
    Possibly

Modric-Sandro-Parker-Bale?
    Team in

Friedel;
    Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto;
    Modric, Parker, Sandro, Bale;
    Van der Vaart, Adebayor.

Could also be more of a 4-3-3 with Modric inside and Rafa playing from the right.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Could also be more of a 4-3-3 with Modric inside and Rafa playing from the right.
    That would work well I'd say but they have the semi colons placed for a 4-4-2 so I'd imagine thats how we'll line up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

That is some haircut!

Ya it is delighted Carroll is on the bench too wonder will he get any game time at the end of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Any links for the match lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Good to see King Ledley playing.

What in God's name is Sandro's hair trying to achieve??

• Advertisement

wellboys wrote: »
    Any links for the match lads?
    http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/4516/1/wigan-v-tottenham.html

Anyone else really really nervous?

Advertisement